Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624683 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19140 on: August 11, 2015, 07:46:01 pm »

That is the point though, they are all people who were good at killing people

Adolf Hitler and Franklin Delano Roosevelt both arranged for millions of young men to be killed by artillery shells.  Do I need to explain to you why one man is condemned for that while the other is praised?

Even damn Hitler brought the Germany into a pretty good state before WWII and you could find a bunch of good things he did

He got a Germany with stagnant incomes and high unemployment and created a Germany with stagnant incomes, low unemployment and an economy that was about to implode because they were spending all the savings and not making capital investments.

And dont even get me started on the absolute idiocy of people praising Gengis.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19141 on: August 11, 2015, 07:50:08 pm »

The first Emperor of China was a pretty ruthless guy too. Though I guess you kind of had to be at the time, what with the warring states.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19142 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:03 pm »

Yu existed so far in the past that we essentially know nothing about him.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19143 on: August 11, 2015, 07:55:25 pm »

He got a Germany with stagnant incomes and high unemployment and created a Germany with stagnant incomes, low unemployment and an economy that was about to implode because they were spending all the savings and not making capital investments.
It was also a Germany which cared for Germans, instead of letting them starve off.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19144 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:36 pm »

In a supervillainish way, Ghenghis' mass slaughter was good for the planet. Removing people allowed the forests to grow back, which would have been good for the other animals we share a planet with.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19145 on: August 11, 2015, 08:00:37 pm »

I dont understand what someone who murdered people to loot their corpes, a character out of a myth and someone who used widescale murder as a means of averting genocide have in common besides killing people.
Not true! They were good at getting other people to kill people and thus achieving a greater score than any individual killer could ever hope to.

Teamwork, guys. TEAMWORK!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19146 on: August 11, 2015, 08:01:12 pm »

I don't really buy the argument, at the time the global human population was far too low to have the kind of negative effects we see today. It was under 500 million, if I'm remembering my timeline right.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19147 on: August 11, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »

Ghenghis pretty much singlehandely created an empire, he was for example pretty damn good at management and stuff. Also, all things considered, all of figures you mentioned fought, killed or even slaughtered their enemies. Even damn Hitler brought the Germany into a pretty good state before WWII and you could find a bunch of good things he did, even if they're outweighted by Holocaust and war, not to mention that's a tabu. And Bandera? Bandera caused a slaughter of Polish which country didin't even exist at the time, and were by no means enemies of Ukraine. Hell, you could think they would work together against Germans and Soviets, but no, that would be hard, slaughtering civilians you can blame for everything is easier.
What part of walking WWII did you miss m8 because you don't conquer soldiers, you conquer people, and when you do a genocide there aren't nearly enough soldiers to genocide for it to be classed a genocide (outside of maybe, China or the ol USSR I guess). Unless of course, the moral stipulation is that the deaths were not justified by conquest since no land was taken from the slain, rather it was people already living within the nation/empire that were getting slaughtered. But then you've also got national heroes that did just that, a gorillion from China and the Reconquest of Persia comes to mind. Actually, just pick any reconquest where some figure achieved national fame for succeeding in destroying already conquered peoples.

Adolf Hitler and Franklin Delano Roosevelt both arranged for millions of young men to be killed by artillery shells.  Do I need to explain to you why one man is condemned for that while the other is praised?
And dont even get me started on the absolute idiocy of people praising Gengis.
Hitler lost and Roose is loose won. Same goes with Churchill and his carpet bombing, the first instance of maximum freedom. To the victors. Plus you got to take into account that WWII is still in living memory, you can't idolize a figure as a hero if they're still relevant, it'd be like building a statue for someone who's not dead. Not to mention how what the folks in WWII did is still in living memory for some, with all the attached scars. Give it a few hundred years and there'll be Hitler fanboys in Krautland (ones that aren't nazis anyways) just as Churchill had his ills scrubbed or the Georgian with the bushy stache is having his blemishes scrubbed away in Russia today. Also I'm not really sure what you can criticize Genghis for when his praise is for the same thing he's vilified for. Mountains of skulls. An Empire that covers the world. Horses that trampled over entire cities replaced with bombs doing much the same.

I dont understand what someone who murdered people to loot their corpes, a character out of a myth and someone who used widescale murder as a means of averting genocide have in common besides killing people.
Not true! They were good at getting other people to kill people and thus achieving a greater score than any individual killer could ever hope to.
Teamwork, guys. TEAMWORK!
Who knew Peter Dinklage had so much in common with Stalin

I don't really buy the argument, at the time the global human population was far too low to have the kind of negative effects we see today. It was under 500 million, if I'm remembering my timeline right.
Farming

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19148 on: August 11, 2015, 08:12:05 pm »

I don't know what these implications about the Queen are, it's common knowledge by this point that Elizabeth II of Winsdor (or Lizzy The Rock to her friends) is a 5th Generation Ventrue.

What is Ventrue?
World of Darkness reference, an RPG game.  Ventrue are the socialite class, with stuff like mind-control and an obsession with power.  Fifth gen means she's pretty powerful, I think.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19149 on: August 11, 2015, 08:14:34 pm »

Farming
What of it? For much less food, and with an intensity that might as well be nonexistant. There's just not a lot of environmental potential to be gained on a more wild Earth.
I don't know what these implications about the Queen are, it's common knowledge by this point that Elizabeth II of Winsdor (or Lizzy The Rock to her friends) is a 5th Generation Ventrue.

What is Ventrue?
World of Darkness reference, an RPG game.  Ventrue are the socialite class, with stuff like mind-control and an obsession with power.  Fifth gen means she's pretty powerful, I think.
A demigod by human standards. 3rd generation were all basically gods, and vampirism itself was bestowed upon Cain by the capital-G Demiurge.

A fifth generation Ventrue would have a decent shot at forcing you to kill yourself by looking into your eyes, using a mind control power where that outcome is normally on a very short list of forbidden effects.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19150 on: August 11, 2015, 08:45:05 pm »

the united kingdom was settled by malvinian aborigan tribes in 31488 bc and therefore londonian island malvinians should return themselves into the fold
Whilst snipping through Malvinas I found this gem:

The Gurkhas were truly feared by the Argentine troops. Writer Gabriel Barcia Marquez quoted witnesses as saying that the Gurkhas:

…beheaded Argentine soldiers with their assassins' scimitars and were so bloodthirsty that the English had to handcuff them to stop further killing after the Argentines had surrendered.
Argentinian propaganda during the war backfired when Argie conscripts surrendered or fled immediately rather than face the Gurkhas. They started to believe Argie propaganda when British media just showed images of the Gurkhas sharpening their khukris.

For those who don't know, the Ghurkas are 4ft tall Nepalese soldiers who are indestructible and possessed of determination unmatched by anyone else alive. They don't eat people and are not possessed of any passions moreso than your average guy, and far from being uncontrollable war machines they are amongst the most disciplined fighting forces out there (but don't tell the Malvinians that). They have however on occasion been disciplined for beheading people on the modern battlefield. Generally nice people all around, and as soldiers you can rarely ask for better.

The outspoken senior figure of Surrey's police force has claimed illegal migrants could be stopped from entering the UK by having "Gurkha regiments at the Channel Tunnel".
Send in the armed forces, but the Gurkhas? Might be a tad bit overkill. They scare me, quite a bit. I suppose that's the point though, they'd be one hell of a deterrent.

*EDIT
Top lel, reading sjws complaining about Gurkha efficiency at killing commies amuses me deeply. One man's commie is another's maxist-leninist freedom fighter.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:50:08 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19151 on: August 11, 2015, 08:47:33 pm »

Look sometimes shit goes down and everybody gets really excited and all of a sudden ohp there goes the head aw shit there's blood everywhere dude

We've all been there at one time or another.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19152 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:17 pm »

Look sometimes shit goes down and everybody gets really excited and all of a sudden ohp there goes the head aw shit there's blood everywhere dude

We've all been there at one time or another.
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19153 on: August 11, 2015, 08:53:32 pm »

There's just not a lot of environmental potential to be gained on a more wild Earth.
This is about the most absurd thing I've read today and I read the Kot/UR spat. You do know that the environment isn't just the amount of C02 in the atmosphere, right? Millions of wolves, trees, lichen, mushrooms, insects, hedgehogs, snakes, pigeons etc. got to live and breed and flourish because of the destruction Ghengis wrought.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19154 on: August 11, 2015, 09:00:57 pm »

There's just not a lot of environmental potential to be gained on a more wild Earth.
This is about the most absurd thing I've read today and I read the Kot/UR spat. You do know that the environment isn't just the amount of C02 in the atmosphere, right? Millions of wolves, trees, lichen, mushrooms, insects, hedgehogs, snakes, pigeons etc. got to live and breed and flourish because of the destruction Ghengis wrought.
There's not anything really being lost by them not living though. The human impact was not significant enough to overcome replacement rate.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1275 1276 [1277] 1278 1279 ... 1393