Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1637059 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19170 on: August 12, 2015, 06:48:36 am »

That is a hilarious type.

Well, both speak only very little German, have an overinflated national ego, and are generally getting on the nerves of the rest of Germany.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: August 12, 2015, 07:03:33 am »

I find it funny that many guys believe that Hitler cared about wellbeing of Germans.

IMO, If that was true, he would order surrender and committed suicide somewhere in 1943 or in 1944 saving millions of German lives.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19172 on: August 12, 2015, 07:06:25 am »

I can't believe I have to say this to a Pole, but fuck Hitler. He was not a good leader in any sense of the word.
Eh, I love how people don't seem to read half the stuff others post. I explictly said that Holocaust and the War, or other stuff he did, in no way were outweighted by the stuff that could be considered good.
I find it funny that many guys believe that Hitler cared about wellbeing of Germans.

IMO, If that was true, he would order surrender and committed suicide somewhere in 1943 or in 1944 saving millions of German lives.

He didin't cared about the wellbeing itself, but he still considered that if they are wellbeing, or at least think they are, they are more likely to fight for their country.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: August 12, 2015, 07:18:12 am »

Yeah, if anything Greece is yet another victim of the Bavarian's worst crime: the Rheinheitsgebot.

The Rheinheitsgebot = Mandatory Catholicism and Kölsch for everyone, everywhere. The solution to all of mankind's problems.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: August 12, 2015, 07:25:02 am »

In the same way that killing all of manking would solve all of mankind's problems.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19175 on: August 12, 2015, 07:28:10 am »

killing all of manking
No gods, no masters?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19176 on: August 12, 2015, 07:55:51 am »

._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19177 on: August 12, 2015, 08:26:52 am »

Funny, in Mein Kampf, Hitler complains that German propaganda was defective for the opposite reasons: he says they pictured the Brits and French as tiny, weakling loosers, which meant the German arriving at the front line were demoralized when they got their shit kicked by "loosers". Meanwhile, he was admiring the British propaganda showing the Germans as barbarous Huns.

I'm currently reading again David Bakers book on Adolf Galland. Galland too was surprised of Hitler's thoughts on the British: Hitler saw the British in many ways as equals to the Germans. Apparently Hitler even considered the British form of society admirable and superior to the still "developing" 3rd Reich.

I'm not sure why this would be surprising. English were Germanians, after all. Hitler modelled much of his racial purity policies on American state laws, and anglo-saxon-heritaged Americans were making major donations to him/the nazis before he started invading everyplace. Germano-centered Arian-master-race weren't just a German thing, it was the theory of the day all over Germanian Europe/America.
Love, scriver~

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: August 12, 2015, 08:42:39 am »

Do you have a source on Hitler being inspired by American laws? I searched a bit and only found American eugenicists admiring him. They are exactly as horrifying as you'd expect.

Quote from: Dr. Walter Plecker, 1935, on 600 children being sterilized in Bavaria
"I hope this work is complete and not one has been missed. I sometimes regret that we have not the authority to put some measures in practice in Virginia."
Quote from: Dr. Joseph DeJarnette, 1938
"Germany in six years has sterilized about 80,000 of her unfit while the United States — with approximately twice the population — has only sterilized about 27,869 in the past 20 years. ... The fact that there are 12,000,000 defectives in the U.S. should arouse our best endeavors to push this procedure to the maximum... The Germans are beating us at our own game."

And that second quote is disturbingly American. I am so glad we did not prove we were better at this than Germany.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:19 am »

I'm not sure why this would be surprising. English were Germanians, after all. Hitler modelled much of his racial purity policies on American state laws, and anglo-saxon-heritaged Americans were making major donations to him/the nazis before he started invading everyplace. Germano-centered Arian-master-race weren't just a German thing, it was the theory of the day all over Germanian Europe/America.

Galland was surprised as it was in Hitler's intent to conquer Britain and the Nazi propaganda had then depicted the British as aggressors that had started the war and weaklings attempting to stop Germany from reaching its righteous destiny or something(that was in late summer 1940 when he received his Knights Cross and got to talk with Hitler in private). He was also surprised by Hitler's memory, knowledge and attention to detail when it came to the war affairs from strategic picture to the details, as were many others.

But in hindsight, yeah, it shouldn't be surprising.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:24 am »

Do you have a source on Hitler being inspired by American laws? I searched a bit and only found American eugenicists admiring him. They are exactly as horrifying as you'd expect.

Quote from: Dr. Walter Plecker, 1935, on 600 children being sterilized in Bavaria
"I hope this work is complete and not one has been missed. I sometimes regret that we have not the authority to put some measures in practice in Virginia."
Quote from: Dr. Joseph DeJarnette, 1938
"Germany in six years has sterilized about 80,000 of her unfit while the United States — with approximately twice the population — has only sterilized about 27,869 in the past 20 years. ... The fact that there are 12,000,000 defectives in the U.S. should arouse our best endeavors to push this procedure to the maximum... The Germans are beating us at our own game."

And that second quote is disturbingly American. I am so glad we did not prove we were better at this than Germany.

They were inspired/based on them, but Americans does not seem to have been as "effective" on going through with them. I don't have any sources off hand, so I did a wiki search and hope their sources is enough:
Upon returning from Germany in 1934, where more than 5,000 people per month were being forcibly sterilized, the California eugenics leader C. M. Goethe bragged to a colleague:

"You will be interested to know that your work has played a powerful part in shaping the opinions of the group of intellectuals who are behind Hitler in this epoch-making program. Everywhere I sensed that their opinions have been tremendously stimulated by American thought . . . I want you, my dear friend, to carry this thought with you for the rest of your life, that you have really jolted into action a great government of 60 million people."
Eugenics researcher Harry H. Laughlin often bragged that his Model Eugenic Sterilization laws had been implemented in the 1935 Nuremberg racial hygiene laws.[74] In 1936, Laughlin was invited to an award ceremony at Heidelberg University in Germany (scheduled on the anniversary of Hitler's 1934 purge of Jews from the Heidelberg faculty), to receive an honorary doctorate for his work on the "science of racial cleansing". Due to financial limitations, Laughlin was unable to attend the ceremony and had to pick it up from the Rockefeller Institute. Afterwards, he proudly shared the award with his colleagues, remarking that he felt that it symbolized the "common understanding of German and American scientists of the nature of eugenic

Said "Model Eugenic Sterilization laws" from 1922 was a response to "a concern that the states' sterilization laws was not being enforced". Many states later amended their laws to follow this model.

So yeah, based on, but not better at it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 09:46:33 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19181 on: August 12, 2015, 10:00:43 am »

Wikipedia has a few tidbits about that, including this:
After the eugenics movement was well established in the United States, it spread to Germany. California eugenicists began producing literature promoting eugenics and sterilization and sending it overseas to German scientists and medical professionals.[63] By 1933, California had subjected more people to forceful sterilization than all other U.S. states combined. The forced sterilization program engineered by the Nazis was partly inspired by California's.[7]

The Rockefeller Foundation helped develop and fund various German eugenics programs,[71] including the one that Josef Mengele worked in before he went to Auschwitz.[6][72]

Ninja'd by scriver.

No less than 12,000,000 people, around 10% of your population, were considered defective and you only managed to sterilize 64,000 of them in the course of sixty years – an absolutely dismal performance relative to population. But don't feel bad about losing to Germany – you were also completely outdone by Sweden with 62,000 of her citizens sterilized in 35 years, and even a backward third-world country called Finland managed a total of 53,500 sterilizations in the same time period. We Europeans have a wonderful history of progressiveness that you Americans simply cannot match.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19182 on: August 12, 2015, 10:03:11 am »

It's funny how hero-worship of modern monsters is justified by hero-worship of ancient monsters.
An angel is the enemy's devil

Funny, in Mein Kampf, Hitler complains that German propaganda was defective for the opposite reasons: he says they pictured the Brits and French as tiny, weakling loosers, which meant the German arriving at the front line were demoralized when they got their shit kicked by "loosers". Meanwhile, he was admiring the British propaganda showing the Germans as barbarous Huns.
A 10 sec internet search says pre-war the Nazi propaganda had a boner for the Brits since they wanted an anglo-german alliance, during war Nazi propaganda shows Brits becoming Jews.

Also have this wwi propaganda
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We arachnid albion now
I'm reminded of that wwi story from the German soldier who was nothing more than a kid really, writing about how they stopped joking about the Brits when the Brits opened fire. Great big fucking mess, the best died in those wars. On a lighter note some of the propaganda pieces had a sense of humour, like that one where it has a British soldier saying he doesn't need sandbags because he had French soldiers.

Gee, what a wonderful understanding of normative philosophy you demonstrate.
Unless you're about to REEEEEEEEEE I'm not really sure what you mean

We Europeans have a wonderful history of progressiveness that you Americans simply cannot match.
Sweden YES

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: August 12, 2015, 12:14:22 pm »

Upon returning from Germany in 1934, where more than 5,000 people per month were being forcibly sterilized, the California eugenics leader C. M. Goethe bragged to a colleague:

"You will be interested to know that your work has played a powerful part in shaping the opinions of the group of intellectuals who are behind Hitler in this epoch-making program. Everywhere I sensed that their opinions have been tremendously stimulated by American thought . . . I want you, my dear friend, to carry this thought with you for the rest of your life, that you have really jolted into action a great government of 60 million people."
That sounds like one of those "ironic in hindsight" quotes, you know? Like he might have felt great about it at the time but it haunts him for the rest of his life after the full extent of the Holocaust comes out.

Of course, that'd be the fictional version. In reality, dude might have been all "FUCK YEAH DEAD JEWS" until the end of his life.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:15:58 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19184 on: August 12, 2015, 12:27:12 pm »

That sounds like one of those "ironic in hindsight" quotes, you know? Like he might have felt great about it at the time but it haunts him for the rest of his life after the full extent of the Holocaust comes out.

Of course, that'd be the fictional version. In reality, dude might have been all "FUCK YEAH DEAD JEWS" until the end of his life.

My exact thoughts. It seems almost too sinister to believe now. If I read this in a fictional work I'd think it some really crude foreshadowing. Maybe the person who said it was a bitter time traveller.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1393