Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624783 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19260 on: August 14, 2015, 04:04:03 am »

-Sees "Migrants invade Europe" headline in local newspaper-
Depending on which newspapers you read, that's been the newspaper headline for years.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19261 on: August 14, 2015, 05:24:35 am »

Unless he did wipe out one of the tribes he's not genocidal, he's just a ruthless killer of his enemies. Necklacing his enemies, ordering the shellhouse massacre or what name you, these do not surmount to genocide - I'm splitting straws but they have to be split. A genocide is apart from regular crimes in that the destruction it causes is existential.
So would you say that Srebrenica massacre wasn't a genocidal act, seeing how Bosnian Muslims still exist?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19262 on: August 14, 2015, 08:00:21 am »

-Sees "Migrants invade Europe" headline in local newspaper-
Depending on which newspapers you read, that's been the newspaper headline for years.
Ever since the 13th century, to be precise.

This Vice feature about Polish mall ninjas soldiers and true patriots is relevant to the recent discussion. The interesting bit is that many of these groups refuse to subject themselves to regular army command, and no-one seems particularly concerned about that.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19263 on: August 14, 2015, 08:13:06 am »

Why would they be concerned, though? Everyone knows that these organizations would not work against Poland. They're also perfect deniable assets for across-border operations.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19264 on: August 14, 2015, 08:17:30 am »

Don't take this the wrong way, but that's a very, um, Russian reaction to such information.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19265 on: August 14, 2015, 08:22:49 am »

Why would they be concerned, though? Everyone knows that these organizations would not work against Poland. They're also perfect deniable assets for across-border operations.

That's even assuming Poland wants to do cross-border operations on Russia.

Also, you saw what happened when you couldn't control your Donbass/Luhansk proxy rebels.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19266 on: August 14, 2015, 08:36:31 am »

Don't take this the wrong way, but that's a very, um, Russian reaction to such information.
Very Western, too, given that Right Sector has been doing so for the majority of the last year, with very little fuss.

That's even assuming Poland wants to do cross-border operations on Russia.

Also, you saw what happened when you couldn't control your Donbass/Luhansk proxy rebels.
When I've said "across-border", I mostly mean "across-Ukrainian-border".
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19267 on: August 14, 2015, 09:06:03 am »

Oh, you mostly mean the Lwow thing.

Really though, the best thing for Europe is for all of you to bury the hatchet on territorial claims, imagined or otherwise. And yes, I know Hungary will probably moan 'Trianon! Trianon!..... TRIANON!'. Edit: And that would POSSIBLY mean that Russia would have to either give Crimea back, do a timeshare with Ukraine on it (however the heck that works), or release as an independent state.

Disclaimer: I'm just being a meddling American here, lol :D

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19269 on: August 14, 2015, 09:25:25 am »

I haven't watched the thing yet, shitty internet preventing me from (the damn things jaims every time as the guy is about to say "If you want peace, be prepared for war"), but AFAIK, those guys don't actually have real guns, except maybe few pistols or hunting rifles. Firearms access is very damn strict in Poland and even if you have a license, it will be either pistol or hunting/sporting rifle, though that doesn't mean they don't have some experience in shooting guns even if they were civvies all along, as shooting ranges are still a thing (rare and quite crap but hey). Lwów is safe, at least until Polish Army decides to go there and arm the guys with guns for some reason, but they won't do it unless Russia invades or something.
I haven't watched it as mentioned, so if they actually have working guns I will be glad to know how.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19270 on: August 14, 2015, 09:57:47 am »

There's a scene with those guys doing target practice with assault weapons and live ammunition. As to how they got those guns, your guess is as good as mine, but they definitely have them all the same. I'm quite certain that they won't be marching on Lwów any time soon, but it's still a good idea to keep an eye on heavily-armed militant groups, wherever they happen to crop up.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19271 on: August 14, 2015, 10:27:37 am »

Very Western, too, given that Right Sector has been doing so for the majority of the last year, with very little fuss.
- Ukraine doesn't exactly count as Western
- Across what border has Right Sector been operating?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19272 on: August 14, 2015, 10:31:33 am »

the border between ukraine and people's republic of novorossiya, helgo

obviously

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19273 on: August 14, 2015, 10:41:13 am »

- Ukraine doesn't exactly count as Western
I was speaking about the reaction. You labeled my reaction to Polish paramilitaries as very Russian, when the West has had the same reaction to Ukrainian paramilitaries, too. Double think much?
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19274 on: August 14, 2015, 10:52:31 am »

Unless he did wipe out one of the tribes he's not genocidal, he's just a ruthless killer of his enemies. Necklacing his enemies, ordering the shellhouse massacre or what name you, these do not surmount to genocide - I'm splitting straws but they have to be split. A genocide is apart from regular crimes in that the destruction it causes is existential.
So would you say that Srebrenica massacre wasn't a genocidal act, seeing how Bosnian Muslims still exist?
Hmm? I didn't suggest that at all, a genocidal act need not be successful to be so. Mandela's spat of torturing and massacring was done for their political affiliations, there wasn't an attempt to existentially destroy a peoples (Boer bants aside)
Pages: 1 ... 1283 1284 [1285] 1286 1287 ... 1393