Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1640497 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19275 on: August 14, 2015, 11:18:15 am »

I was speaking about the reaction. You labeled my reaction to Polish paramilitaries as very Russian, when the West has had the same reaction to Ukrainian paramilitaries, too. Double think much?
I... don't remember anyone being glad that Right Sector would enable Ukraine to do cross-border operations while maintaining plausible deniability. The most that was heard around here - and even this is far from universally accepted - was that the Ukrainian militias could help Ukraine, which has a poorly trained and badly equipped military, hold out against Russian agression, which is very dissimilar to what you said. And come to think of it, nobody would have phrased this thought using the word 'assets'.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19276 on: August 14, 2015, 11:39:02 am »

The "cross-border" in case of Right Sector is "Ukraine-Russia" border, or specifically, Crimean one. Since at least some of Right Sector right now are in semi-opposition to the current government, any of their actions in Crimea can be explained as their own initiative, hence "deniable assets".

I guess I was wrong when I've said that this view is very Western.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19277 on: August 14, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »

Ya, inner-Ukrainian operations don't count as "cross-border". 'Nuff said.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19278 on: August 14, 2015, 01:21:23 pm »

But Crimea isn't inner Ukraine... it's Russia. Duh.
._.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19279 on: August 14, 2015, 02:40:04 pm »

De facto due to military force, yes.  Very few countries recognize that border, however.  The US, Europe, Japan, and the usual suspects have actively rejected the Russian annexation of Crimea.  China and India have both been more ambiguous, but both have also shied away from formal recognition and active support.  Only a handful of countries - Afghanistan, Cuba, Syria, Nicaragua, Venezuela, North Korea, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Nagorno-Karabakh, and Transnistria - have definitely recognized the Russian annexation.  Maybe Belarus if you interpret his words right; I would suspect Lukashenko is a bit careful about saying anything that could come back to bite him, hand-delivered by little green men, if the mood between Minsk and Moscow ever shifts again.  In other words, as far as most countries are concerned, including those people themselves, it isn't a cross-border activity de jure. 

Now, if you had Right Sector invading Rostov or something, that'd be something else, but it's rather patently obviously *not* a "duh" situation, and its rather disingenuous for you to assert it unequivocally as such.  It's as "cross-border" as Ukrainian operations against the DNR (to borrow the tongue-in-cheek comment from earlier) or vice versa, and distinctly less so than, say, Russian operations against Crimea. :P
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 02:45:50 pm by Culise »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19280 on: August 14, 2015, 03:04:23 pm »

Europ thred poll on crimea status when?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19282 on: August 14, 2015, 03:26:05 pm »

De facto due to military force, yes.  Very few countries recognize that border, however.  The US, Europe, Japan, and the usual suspects have actively rejected the Russian annexation of Crimea.  China and India have both been more ambiguous, but both have also shied away from formal recognition and active support.  Only a handful of countries - Afghanistan, Cuba, Syria, Nicaragua, Venezuela, North Korea, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Nagorno-Karabakh, and Transnistria - have definitely recognized the Russian annexation.  Maybe Belarus if you interpret his words right; I would suspect Lukashenko is a bit careful about saying anything that could come back to bite him, hand-delivered by little green men, if the mood between Minsk and Moscow ever shifts again.  In other words, as far as most countries are concerned, including those people themselves, it isn't a cross-border activity de jure. 

Now, if you had Right Sector invading Rostov or something, that'd be something else, but it's rather patently obviously *not* a "duh" situation, and its rather disingenuous for you to assert it unequivocally as such.  It's as "cross-border" as Ukrainian operations against the DNR (to borrow the tongue-in-cheek comment from earlier) or vice versa, and distinctly less so than, say, Russian operations against Crimea. :P
Right Sector would-be operations on Crimean territory would be de-facto cross-border operations because there's a border between Crimea and Ukraine staffed by Russian and Ukrainian border guards, respectively. It won't magically turn into "inner Ukraine" operations because of what other countries think about legitimacy.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19283 on: August 14, 2015, 03:39:52 pm »

Heh, special operations in Russia is not something that any Ukrainian forces would ever do, right? We all know that it never happened and will never happen again. *smiles mysteriously*

As for doing anything in Crimea... What for?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19284 on: August 14, 2015, 03:51:43 pm »

Heh, special operations in Russia is not something that any Ukrainian forces would ever do, right? We all know that it never happened and will never happen again. *smiles mysteriously*
I agree, special operations in Ukraine is not something that any Russian forces would ever do, too. Totally.

Killing pro-Russian collaborationists and Russian-appointed administration, no?
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19285 on: August 14, 2015, 03:52:32 pm »

Reclaim the Crimea? Blow up Russian ships? Not much else to o

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19286 on: August 14, 2015, 03:54:38 pm »

Europ thred poll on crimea status when?

I think it did back when the crisis happened?

Although it was on the Ukraine-Russian threads that popped up (and kept imploding) rather than the Europol thread.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19287 on: August 14, 2015, 03:58:30 pm »

I think Crimea should be handed back to its rightful owners. I mean, of course, the Scythian Amazons
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19288 on: August 14, 2015, 04:27:45 pm »

Killing pro-Russian collaborationists and Russian-appointed administration, no?
One quarter of our parliament are  pro-Russian collaborationists. As well as so many other persons. Starting from Kyiv will be a more logical route for Right Sector

I find it worrisome that Russian start talking about Right Sector in Crimea. Sergarr is the fifth Russian I hear it from must be Russian media related. Crimean economy is slowly collapsing and Russians may distract local population with pseudo Right Sector terror. 
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19289 on: August 14, 2015, 04:34:22 pm »

I though Xena was Greek. Can Feta into Crimea?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1284 1285 [1286] 1287 1288 ... 1393