Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1624707 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #19605 on: August 25, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »

I call doubt again, this time on the notion that they wouldn't have bailed out the banks if they had pursued a "self centered (sic) national policy".
because the Spanish banking system is disproportionately large for its country

Iceland.
America.

... is substantially outperforming Europe and is far better off then Spain.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19606 on: August 25, 2015, 10:05:52 pm »

And also conducted multiple major bailouts, including dumping $700 billion into financial institutions via TARP, hence my use of it as a counterargument.  That said, your response is not an argument for a self-centered national policy (which isn't even a singular thing, but one of a whole host of options, many of which would have been even worse than we got).  It's an argument for systematic bailouts and golden parachutes being the way to save your economy.  I think Spain has entirely too many of those right now, personally.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:08:10 pm by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19607 on: August 25, 2015, 10:59:13 pm »

Well those bailouts you think there were too many of saved Europes ass.  It's just Spain foolishly believed that talk about community meant something and so acted like a Team Player.

If you are going to talk about the TARP then I feel like at least passing mention should be made of the fact that the US got %98.9 of the TARP money back while Spain got stuck with hundreds of billions of Euros of debt.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19608 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:13 am »

One might also add that this has been culturally ingrained not for "seven years, two months, twenty days, five hours and two minutes", but since May 1945. This is bit bigger than a couple years of crisis.
I can't help but say it's not since May 1945 but more like 2 August 1934.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19609 on: August 26, 2015, 02:36:37 am »

I don't think the Nazis were very interested in the peaceful cooperation of peoples...

Well those bailouts you think there were too many of saved Europes ass.  It's just Spain foolishly believed that talk about community meant something and so acted like a Team Player.
Didn't the other Eurozone countries perform bailouts for their banks as well? Germany certainly did, and though I don't remember the precise scale they weren't exactly small either.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19610 on: August 26, 2015, 02:44:56 am »

I don't think the Nazis were very interested in the peaceful cooperation of peoples...
Really? They loved it when people peacefully co-operated. They tried the Munich Agreement before just invading Czechoslovakia after all.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19611 on: August 26, 2015, 02:47:28 am »

Really? They loved it when people peacefully co-operated. They tried the Munich Agreement before just invading Czechoslovakia after all.
Don't forget the Anschluss!
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19612 on: August 26, 2015, 02:52:07 am »

Really? They loved it when people peacefully co-operated.
Well yeah, but they themselves tended not to cooperate peacefully :P Plus the Czechoslovakia thing was about as peaceful as the Russian occupation of Crimea - peaceful only in the sense that no shots were fired.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #19613 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:51 am »

Wait, no shots were fired when Russians invaded Crimea? This is indeed news to me.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19614 on: August 26, 2015, 03:58:21 am »

The people of Crimea celebrated their independence with vodka shots. Don't believe the Western propaganda about green men with guns.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19615 on: August 26, 2015, 04:13:14 am »

These are called "polite men", SQ. And it's hilarious that you think people in Russia don't like men with gun assuring Russia's interests.
._.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19616 on: August 26, 2015, 04:38:34 am »

These are called "polite men", SQ. And it's hilarious that you think people in Russia don't like men with gun assuring Russia's interests.

Get your facts straight! It was all about Crimean interests, and Russia had absolutely nothing to do with it. The people demanded independence, and polite indigenous freedom fighters liberated their homeland from fascist oppression. Sounds like you've been fed pro-fascist disinformation by wily propagandists...

EDIT: I intended to write a rambling screed on the Eurocrisis but I ended up shitposting like business as usual. 
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 04:45:10 am by SirQuiamus »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19617 on: August 26, 2015, 04:39:46 am »

crimea did nothing wrong

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19618 on: August 26, 2015, 11:10:49 am »

Despite the relatively bloodless nature of the Crimean takeover (apart from what later happened to Crimean Tatars still present in their homeland post-invasion), according to an apparently leaked report Russia has lost 2,000 soldiers in the Ukrainian conflict. I don't really believe this because 2,000 is a very high number and it seems a lot like propaganda but it's an interesting development nevertheless.

To put it in perspective, since the "War on Terror" began the Americans have only lost 6,000-odd people. For Russia to lose 2,000 soldiers in a year or two, in a clandestine war no less, I don't even know. I mean, according to wikipedia around 2,146 insurgents in total have died, and although I fully believe Russia is using front line troops in Ukraine I sincerely doubt they make up nearly 100% of the forces/100% of the forces killed.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 11:22:58 am by Owlbread »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19619 on: August 26, 2015, 11:32:55 am »

Didn't the other Eurozone countries perform bailouts for their banks as well? Germany certainly did, and though I don't remember the precise scale they weren't exactly small either.

True, true.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1306 1307 [1308] 1309 1310 ... 1393