Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1646725 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20655 on: September 27, 2015, 09:17:31 am »

Jesus Christ, why does that look like Morrowind?

Because Elder Scrolls?

Also, that dudes 'throne' is like, literally a pile of hay bales. Edit: Or rather, the quality makes it look like a pile of hay bales.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20656 on: September 27, 2015, 09:42:33 am »

That's fine Nordic rock carved from the ancestral mountains of my forefathers. You dare spit upon my geology?! I'll show you hay bales...

*grabs battleaxe*

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20657 on: September 27, 2015, 10:01:15 am »

Jesus Christ, why does that look like Morrowind?

Because Elder Scrolls?

Also, that dudes 'throne' is like, literally a pile of hay bales. Edit: Or rather, the quality makes it look like a pile of hay bales.
It's Skyrim, just at what looks like the lowest possible settings. It also looks like the picture was taken with a camera, of the monitor.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20659 on: September 27, 2015, 10:17:47 am »

Which is completely insane. We already hosted the highest number of refugees in Europe, we were already pushing our furthest to help people in a time when we need to help those who are already here (which are foremost immigrants that have come before). To just keep letting people in just because they are refugees is completely irresponsible. I've honestly never been so worried about the future before. This is beyond any kind of sense.
... I wouldn't worry that much. Checking over the numbers, you guys could take in literally every refugee incoming and probably still be a pretty livable place -- you have the room and economy to basically half everything and still be more or less on par with the US or somethin' in terms of density and income and whatnot. Considering there's not even remotely that many are intending to head y'alls way, you guys shouldn't have to worry about genuinely troubled logistic etc. waters even if you take in another few times what you've got now.

... also, no, it doesn't look like sweden's hosting the highest number of refugees in europe. Highest per capita in the EU, it does look like, but in raw numbers germany (and possibly france and the UK -- it's a little hard to find up to date data) appears to be beating y'all out. Europe in general, though... depends on what you consider in europe. Turkey's beating the everloving crap out of most of the EU combined, ferex, in terms of refugee population.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20660 on: September 27, 2015, 10:26:26 am »

Russian 1939 invasion of Poland an act of self-defense, Poland shares responsibility for World War 2 with Nazi Germany.  Poles unamused. 

Dem Russians tryin' to rewrite history.

Can't blame Poland for being angry after being shafted and partitioned so many times through history (well, at least two that I'm aware of, WWII, and that triple partitioning in the 19th century, I think it was the 19th).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20661 on: September 27, 2015, 10:40:55 am »

Russian 1939 invasion of Poland an act of self-defense, Poland shares responsibility for World War 2 with Nazi Germany.  Poles unamused. 
But Poland was partly responsible for blocking formation of anti-Nazi Germany coalition? I do remember reading about how Poland's officials absolutely refused to have USSR help them against Nazi Germany, multiple times.

They were probably worried about USSR troops not leaving after defeating Nazi Germany and spreading some communism in Poland, and they were probably right, but still, it means Poland is indeed "partly responsible" for WW2, in the same sense as Chamberlain was.
._.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20662 on: September 27, 2015, 10:50:14 am »

Yes, it could be taken as such in isolation, but when combined with the notion of Russia's seizure of everything east of the line of partition as an act of self-defense and when it completely elides over the role of the nation the speaker represents in the very same act, not to mention when it plays firmly into a particular zeitgeist that has come about as a part of the mythologization of the Great Patriotic War, it does not precisely lend itself to a charitable definition.  Moreover, it's being stated by the senior Russian diplomat to Poland, someone whose job, as Prime Minister Kopacz alludes, is to avoid pointlessly alienating their host country, even if it's out of purely pragmatic reasons.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 10:52:33 am by Culise »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20663 on: September 27, 2015, 11:01:08 am »

Which is completely insane. We already hosted the highest number of refugees in Europe, we were already pushing our furthest to help people in a time when we need to help those who are already here (which are foremost immigrants that have come before). To just keep letting people in just because they are refugees is completely irresponsible. I've honestly never been so worried about the future before. This is beyond any kind of sense.
... I wouldn't worry that much. Checking over the numbers, you guys could take in literally every refugee incoming and probably still be a pretty livable place -- you have the room and economy to basically half everything and still be more or less on par with the US or somethin' in terms of density and income and whatnot. Considering there's not even remotely that many are intending to head y'alls way, you guys shouldn't have to worry about genuinely troubled logistic etc. waters even if you take in another few times what you've got now.

Stuff like this just leaves me dumbfounded. There are currently more refugees registered (and even more heading here) in the EU in the last few months than Sweden's entire previous refugee population. How you think any country could just take in that many people at the same time and still function in the immigration process is beyond me.

... also, no, it doesn't look like sweden's hosting the highest number of refugees in europe. Highest per capita, it does look like,

Which is the pretty much the thing that matters.
Love, scriver~

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20664 on: September 27, 2015, 11:06:01 am »

But Poland was partly responsible for blocking formation of anti-Nazi Germany coalition? I do remember reading about how Poland's officials absolutely refused to have USSR help them against Nazi Germany, multiple times.

They were probably worried about USSR troops not leaving after defeating Nazi Germany and spreading some communism in Poland, and they were probably right, but still, it means Poland is indeed "partly responsible" for WW2, in the same sense as Chamberlain was.

So basically, by that reasoning, Poles were responsible no matter what?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20665 on: September 27, 2015, 11:07:42 am »

People think with their heart and not their brain, even if the end result not only fails to help anyone - but in fact hurts everyone. Sweden suffers from pathological altruism like the national version of the crazy cat lady who inflicts death and faeces upon herself, her cats and her neighbours.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20666 on: September 27, 2015, 11:10:44 am »

So basically, by that reasoning, Poles were responsible no matter what?
Well, they could have been responsible for supporting communist hordes in invading Europe, instead!

(being poland is suffering)
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20667 on: September 27, 2015, 11:20:24 am »

Stuff like this just leaves me dumbfounded. There are currently more refugees registered (and even more heading here) in the EU in the last few months than Sweden's entire previous refugee population. How you think any country could just take in that many people at the same time and still function in the immigration process is beyond me.
... by looking at the numbers and seeing you could literally double your total population (which you won't be doing) with nothing but dead weights (which the people you're taking in won't be) and still have a population density and general average income and whatnot placing you better off than a great deal of the bloody world. Yes, the immigration process would be strained to hell and back, but breaking it would take a sustained effort at either sabotaging it or not giving a shit. Which, I mean, hell, a lot of you folks seem intent on doing, so I guess there's worry to be had there, but overall you lot seem to be able to take a helluva' lot harder hit than you seem intent on panicking over.

Would it be easy? No. Would there be troubles, no shit, of course there would be. Would it be some kind of world ending catastrophe, ruining your country into perpetuity? Gods alive, only if you actively engineer it to be.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20668 on: September 27, 2015, 11:26:23 am »

I dunno, doubling the population over a short amount of time would strains stuff beyond the physical infrastructure. How do you communicate when half of your population doesn't share a common languages? Can a democracy such a Sweden survive an influx of people with no culture of the local democracy? Could Swedish culture survive in any form?

Sure, the people of Sweden could survive easily, but Sweden would be changed so utterly as to be a whole new country. For all intent and purpose, the country would disappear and be replaced by another.

Now, of course, no one is seriously proposing that Sweden take in ten millions people. But considering only physical assets and infrastructure you are not answering the fears of the anti-immigration/refugees people.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #20669 on: September 27, 2015, 11:36:35 am »

you folks

Ah yes, the whole collective of dozens, maybe even hundreds, of people all sitting jammed together in the corner behind my screen.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 1376 1377 [1378] 1379 1380 ... 1393