Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Can we make a nice gaussian-looking curve?

A
A
A
A
A
A
A
A

Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 1393

Author Topic: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!  (Read 1645179 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Sheb's European Megathread: Remove Feta!
« Reply #20700 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:20 am »

Wait, did French suffer more of a baby bust than Germany?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20701 on: September 28, 2015, 10:06:43 am »

Yes, significantly so.  In addition to losing 1.4m people out of a population of 39.6m (as contrasted with German, on both fronts, losing 1.7 - 2.0m out of a larger population of 64.9m; more in total, but a bit less proportionately by a "whole" half a percent; this is taking only military deaths under the assumption that these will be disproportionately inflicted on males of fertile age, whereas total civilian deaths are spread evenly across the population), French birth rates were simply much lower than Germany's even before the war, which did not improve in relative terms until...if I recall properly, after the Second World War, but that's just me trying to recall off the top of my head.  Replenishment was simply much lower in France, starting from a lower population base and with a greater proportion of losses to said population base. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 10:09:13 am by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20702 on: September 28, 2015, 10:08:50 am »

This is, again, in keeping with the general trend of the French High Command's preparations for a war in the same style, and more importantly speed, as the First World War.

The popular conception is way off on this.  The French had far more motorized infantry then the Germans did and the French had fewer tank divisions but those tank divisions were qualitatively superior.  The problem wasn't that the French mobile forces didn't exist, they did, they were the 3rd and 7th armies.  When French mobile forces faced German forces at Hannut, they achieved exactly what they were supposed to. 

The problem is that Weygand pulled the mobile forces from Sedan to send them to Hannut.  Sedan was the place the Germans had planned their attack.  France did have a very slow OODA loop which slowed them down but no CiC can salvage a horrible operational plan.

Yes, they drafted more heavily at the start and German soldiers had sex during wartime more.

I was under the impression that he worded it that way in the sense of a 1939 offensive bringing about a surrender in early 1940.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  France just cant get very far in September and by mid October, German troops returning from Poland outnumber French troops capable of engaging in offensive operations.

Maybe if Poland had lasted longer France could have seized the left bank of the Rhine.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20703 on: September 28, 2015, 10:10:53 am »

Would this discussion not be better suited to AGG, being as it's theorising about a past war and not current politics?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #20704 on: September 28, 2015, 10:43:16 am »

I was under the impression that he worded it that way in the sense of a 1939 offensive bringing about a surrender in early 1940.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.  France just cant get very far in September and by mid October, German troops returning from Poland outnumber French troops capable of engaging in offensive operations.
I didin't mention how far in 1940 that would be. If British brought their forces and Italy did their thing again (switching sides), maybe other stuff...
Maybe if Poland had lasted longer France could have seized the left bank of the Rhine.
Maybe if west reacted more decisively to German agression, Soviet Union wouldn't join in (especially considering that they have ended another war (literally) day before and attacking Poland would mean fighting bigger alliance), which would lead Poland to last way longer. Before Soviets backstabbed, the Poland pretty much started to stop the German attack, and with Germany having to split it forces on two fronts and Poland getting help (fun fact, the planes Polish pilots flew on in France/Britain, weren't French/British, at least early on. Those, in fact, were Polish, because Poland bought them, they just never arrived in Poland) through south (Black Sea - Rumania - Poland) which was blocked by Soviets in real life, would mean that Germany would be in very damn big trouble.
Would this discussion not be better suited to AGG, being as it's theorising about a past war and not current politics?
WW2 is pretty much current politics for me. Betrayal in the West, never 4get.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20705 on: September 28, 2015, 10:45:21 am »

I didin't mention how far in 1940 that would be.

1940, like most years, only lasted for 12 months.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #20706 on: September 28, 2015, 10:45:53 am »

Well, alright.

Would this discussion not be better suited to AGG, being as it's theorising about a war that's not happening right now?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #20707 on: September 28, 2015, 11:20:45 am »

Well, alright.

Would this discussion not be better suited to AGG, being as it's theorising about a war that's not happening right now?
It's still happening for Japan and Russia, unless they signed that treaty finally, but even then it's still pretty recent thing.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #20708 on: September 28, 2015, 11:21:02 am »

I also find the armchair generaling pretty annoying and would like if it was relegated to its quarantine thread.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20709 on: September 29, 2015, 12:02:43 am »

They didn't have the equipment, coordination, or political will to do it.
As for the equipment, they proably had best equipped and I'm not sure if not biggest army around.
They didn't have radios. The Germans did.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20710 on: September 29, 2015, 12:26:30 am »

--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20711 on: September 29, 2015, 08:34:49 am »

German soldiers had sex during wartime more.
Wait, how do we know this? Was there some sort of Reichsbesamungsregister?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20712 on: September 29, 2015, 08:45:07 am »

German soldiers had sex during wartime more.
Wait, how do we know this? Was there some sort of Reichsbesamungsregister?

Sadly there was not and we just have to rely on census data for births.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20713 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:26 am »

There were a lot of German cuckolds :V
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20714 on: September 29, 2015, 10:20:41 am »

Pretty sure the Nazis had a lot of 'Breed for the Fatherland!' type propaganda and incentives for people to have kids, so it's not surprising they'd have a higher than average fertility rate.

Also, it's well known that the sight of men in lederhosen light the fires of Ayran passion in the loins of any buxom barmaid.  :P
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.
Pages: 1 ... 1379 1380 [1381] 1382 1383 ... 1393