Advanced search  

Poll

Placeholder

- 2 (25%)
- 2 (25%)
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40

Author Topic: You are the Head of a Hydra Series (OOC/Applications)(Potentially being revived)  (Read 54820 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: You are the head of a hydra. (OOC/Applications)
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:30 am »

There's a much lower chance that dwarves will than that humans or elves will.

Much lower? As in the borderline between some and a lot of hate? Sitting atop a fence?
And again, you aren't giving any thought to any other possible situations that could exist that we don't know about yet because we haven't asked nor looked. As I said, they could be "insane, blood-thirsty, sapient-eating, stone-age slave-masters with a grudge against us". So long as they govern themselves with city states, anything's possible.

Here's the info for convenience: the actual roll was just 'hostility', but the detail paragraph highly suggests this 'hostility' is entirely based on their system of government & religion, no other factors being considered/touched upon.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

1. Wild animals, supplies, poisonous plants, quicksand, scouts, more wild animals, raiders, woodcutters, wild animals, rangers...None of those are terribly probable for a short trip, but put together over the course of a long journey, and you get trouble.
2. No worries sir
1. [what specific issues are the problem with animals v densely packed intelligent humanoids? Already hit on smell & tracks], [ask em about this, could be an issue but I doubt it], [they live in the swamps & are bronze-age & talk good, they should have a decent grasp on local flora/fauna], [they live there & should be familiar], [scouts from whom? we don't know. If you think it unlikely to find a village, how unlikely would it be to find another scout? also: master thieves], [still handled], [raiders'd be more common along roads, but the proximity of the other towns is worrisome- good thing our guys are professional hiders.], [same as scouts- we deal with humanoids all the time in much more trying circumstances], [burp], [might be an issue, ask about these]
I vote worth it.

1. Power, and from there who knows?
2. Well, in DF, humans routinely live to 120, so that's not saying much. Also, if we're immortal, and patient, we can take a thousand-year plan. And haven't you noticed? Cultures change. A lot. Even without major benefits from the changers.

2. Might be a long forum game....

2. They'd be decent scouts, but not great or super. There's too many holes in a thief's knowledge to apply it to scouting wholesale. And while they can adapt, a city doesn't change its secret passages every few years; most of the exploitable stuff will be available for decades to come, meaning that the kobolds or whatever only need to be able to add small tweaks to their knowledge base.
3. Swamps are also noisy and smelly, and while they might create a clearing a mile across, that doesn't help if the city's a mile away from you. As for roads, you can't build a good road through a swamp. It's too...swampy.

2. Master thief's knowledge, excuse you! Ask them about it; I disagree- lizardbolds aren't the Masons, they have to scratch out their own spots/techniques and adjust as the humanoids counter their thieving.
3. Depends on the swamp, depends on the swamp. You can if you're a dwarf. At least...a traditional dwarf. Or an elf for that matter, damn tree-climbers. Pertinent question: do any civs resemble dwarfs, (more info on civs...)?

Better than us? Sure. But you know what strikes me as a good plan? Expand our allies and knowledge by contacting the dwarves before risking some of our few lizardies on a scouting trip.
That plan's packing significantly more risk- On the one hand, you have approaching a thoroughly unknown civilization and hoping they not only don't try to skin us for meat, but take us up as allies. On the other hand, we find out what they WOULD do if we did the above plan, while only risking a few expendable, yet highly-skilled minions, and losing a single turn. I posit the latter is more prudent.*** Shoot, how about a compromise- send a single completely unskilled & expendable peon in our place as an ambassador, see how the dwarves react. nvm, that's a bad plan, we'll probably lose that minion (unlike our professionals), and sending a puny lizard instead of ourselves in first might give the wrong impression.

Given the time period emulated, communism is probably more likely than fascism.
Given it's a different world and the civilizations are based on dice rolls & the whims of the GM, I'd say they're about even.

***we don't even need to send scouts for this. Ask the lizards for more info, they're bound to have it. Scouting beyond 3km and getting a few maps should still be a priority; if one of the local civs would be friendly according to our lizards, we could ask them for these things. But only our own lizards can truly be trusted. Lizard compradore race ftw.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:26:50 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2013, 04:50:16 pm »

There's a much lower chance that dwarves will than that humans or elves will.
Much lower? As in the borderline between some and a lot of hate? Sitting atop a fence?
0.001/0 is as undefined as 1,000/0. Same thing. We know that humans and elves very nearly certainly will kill hydras on sight. We know that dwarves dislike hydras, but don't know of any deep-seated reason for nor of any tendencies towards killing hydras on sight.
It's all relative.

And again, you aren't giving any thought to any other possible situations that could exist that we don't know about yet because we haven't asked nor looked. As I said, they could be "insane, blood-thirsty, sapient-eating, stone-age slave-masters with a grudge against us". So long as they govern themselves with city states, anything's possible.
Well, stone age people tend not to make cities...but yeah.
Still, insane, blood-thirsty, sapient-eating, stone-age slave-masters with a grudge against us are better than dragon-worshipers who see us as an abomination that must be destroyed no matter what.

That quote specifically states that "the dwarves...have a lesser hostility towards hydras [than elves or humans]." It also notes that they are "more likely to take on hydras due to being polytheistic compared to the goblins' worship of ancestors."
Those quotes support my position of dwarves being the best choice to go to out of the known races.

1. [what specific issues are the problem with animals v densely packed intelligent humanoids? Already hit on smell & tracks]
There's a few things. For starters, you don't know where the animals are coming from; you can't just hide your tracks and dash through a stream to throw them off, because there's always more wolves in the woods. Also, dangerous animals tend to be a bit larger and stronger than dogs, and have much better senses than humans, and are more likely to hunt at night than either. And you can't use tricks used for humans on animals.

[ask em about this, could be an issue but I doubt it]
Procuring supplies might not be a problem. Carrying supplies for an extended trek through the wilderness, intending to enter unknown lands with presumably different flora and fauna...

[they live in the swamps & are bronze-age & talk good, they should have a decent grasp on local flora/fauna], [they live there & should be familiar]
But not ones from more distant areas. They already know about the local area.

[scouts from whom? we don't know. If you think it unlikely to find a village, how unlikely would it be to find another scout? also: master thieves]
Scouts from the various human and elven settlements? Also, note that scouts and other travelers tend to, you know, travel far beyond their hometowns. And master thievery mostly requires stealth whilst escaping and probably approaching a prize, not 24/7.

[still handled]
Actually, still a problem.

[raiders'd be more common along roads, but the proximity of the other towns is worrisome- good thing our guys are professional hiders.], [same as scouts- we deal with humanoids all the time in much more trying circumstances]
Again, being the best thief in the world does not necessarily mean one can be stealthy enough to avoid detection from skilled woodsmen (and animals and so forth) from the moment one gets up to the moment one goes to sleep and all through the night. To pick just an obvious and crude example, master thieves can retain the title if they snore loudly.

[burp]
Those are a pretty common danger.

[might be an issue, ask about these]
Might?

I vote worth it.
That's a matter of opinion. Frankly, I don't see the attraction seeing as we haven't even tried the dwarves.

Might be a long forum game...
Time skips.

2. Master thief's knowledge, excuse you! Ask them about it; I disagree- lizardbolds aren't the Masons, they have to scratch out their own spots/techniques and adjust as the humanoids counter their thieving.
They make adjustments, which I have been saying all this time, but that's different than making whole new maps of the best and quietest ways to get through the countryside as you go through it. Think of it as the difference between fixing a car and making a new one from ores and such.

3. Depends on the swamp, depends on the swamp. You can if you're a dwarf. At least...a traditional dwarf. Or an elf for that matter, damn tree-climbers. Pertinent question: do any civs resemble dwarfs, (more info on civs...)?
Well, swamps are noted for being...swampy...which typically implies a certain level of being wet and muddy. That's not good for roads.

Better than us? Sure. But you know what strikes me as a good plan? Expand our allies and knowledge by contacting the dwarves before risking some of our few lizardies on a scouting trip.
That plan's packing significantly more risk- On the one hand, you have approaching a thoroughly unknown civilization and hoping they not only don't try to skin us for meat, but take us up as allies. On the other hand, we find out what they WOULD do if we did the above plan, while only risking a few expendable, yet highly-skilled minions, and losing a single turn. I posit the latter is more prudent.*** Shoot, how about a compromise- send a single completely unskilled & expendable peon in our place as an ambassador, see how the dwarves react. nvm, that's a bad plan, we'll probably lose that minion (unlike our professionals), and sending a puny lizard instead of ourselves in first might give the wrong impression.
You're also missing the fact that goblins are no more or less unknown than dwarves, while the few facts we know clearly state that dwarves would be more receptive to hydras like us.

Given the time period emulated, communism is probably more likely than fascism.
Given it's a different world and the civilizations are based on dice rolls & the whims of the GM, I'd say they're about even.
Moderny Communists? Unlikely.
Communists in the sense that everyone works for the good of the community and all that stuff, the general concepts behind communism? Very likely.

***we don't even need to send scouts for this. Ask the lizards for more info, they're bound to have it. Scouting beyond 3km and getting a few maps should still be a priority; if one of the local civs would be friendly according to our lizards, we could ask them for these things. But only our own lizards can truly be trusted. Lizard compradore race ftw.
Scouting only makes sense if we know we can't use what's nearby or need something that's farther away or something. We don't know because we haven't investigated.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:02 pm »

I like your GMing style.
Just that it is hard to be stupid with situations when we are debating where to go .

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »

I like your style, i just didn't butt in because it didn't feel right or my character, don't beat yourself up for nothing.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2013, 04:57:30 pm »

Don't mind me, I'm just tying to charge right into the dwarven archer range. Just let me take control on our fine little body, and everything will go smooth as planned!

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2013, 05:00:26 pm »

I like your GMing style.
Just that it is hard to be stupid with situations when we are debating where to go .

That is true, but when it became about 'Dwarves are fascist,' I could see a lot of material that you could use.

I like your style, i just didn't butt in because it didn't feel right or my character, don't beat yourself up for nothing.

Makes sense.  Hopefully more can be said now.

Don't mind me, I'm just tying to charge right into the dwarven archer range. Just let me take control on our fine little body, and everything will go smooth as planned!

You're already in range.  It's only 30-40 yards till the archers.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:35 pm »

Still running closer in range. More accuracy means more damage to us!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2013, 05:37:19 pm »

Damn, seems there was an update while I was working on this. Here you are anyway, don't have time to read and make another, so I'll be back later.

Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2013, 05:48:13 pm »

1)@zanzet: what's the actual resolution* of the rolls; does placement within a catagories' bounds count or only the category itself?

*(as in minimal distance between two objects)

2)Little do we know Genghis khan is trotting towards us around that bend. If only there were some way to find out, so we could make preparations...
1) Placement counts for most of the recent rolls.
2) How accurate that was...
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2013, 09:28:05 pm »

EVERYTHING CAME TRUE. I liek the dwarves now, they are my children.

Introduce yourselves, ask for an appointment so you can chat with them. Don't rush, don't pressure, try to show our civility and value as an ally. Since they're a dictatorship ("military"?) we've gotta have a backbone, but not threatening. IF things look like it would be best to do so, just tell them you'll be around and are a friend, and help them next time a siege knocks on their door- impressing them with our battle-prowess might be a fast-track to honor/respect-- try to range out their values. What kind of an honor system do they have? Is it like chivalry or feudal japan? Don't tell them about our thiefs, unless you can convince them you've learned of their problems with them and can change it, just for them, because we are, after all, a benefactor.
But yes, WHATEVER YOU DO, make friends! I like them.

ps, a difference of 2 and I would be saying toldyaso.

-edit
also, don't forget to get more info on stuff. This is why I wanted the curious head as third second third choice.

-edit
Question @zanzet: I would have tried this personally if I were in the game with kusnath, but anyway, how hard are our scales?

-edit
Also: we should ask our priests to do this for us: approach 2 of the master thiefs with the most discretion, along with 2 of the warriors (preferably with skill and discretion), for a special assignment: building our own secret ninja spymaster order. Have the four train eachother, and report directly to us. Recruit from the most devout of the priest order. Do it!  8)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:48:37 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2013, 09:47:29 pm »

EVERYTHING CAME TRUE. I liek the dwarves now, they are my children.
What did I tell you?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2013, 09:56:11 pm »

You told me it would be better than showing up at the elve's place. We don't know that yet, as we haven't been to the elves nor ummies.
Meanwhile they're insane, (blood-thirsty) militaristic, (maybe not) sapient-eating, stone-age IRON CLAD (slave-masters)(half population supporting other half) with a grudge against us. And they're riding GRIZZLIES! If you look at the rolls, the iron-clad bit & 11v9 hostility are the only two that didn't pick the closest options to my doomsday scenario.
The RNG made them my children.

If they kill us I win, if they don't kill us the game continues and we 're might become friends with what I claim as my children. win-win = victory.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:58:41 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2013, 09:57:55 pm »

Remuthra: We are hydras scoping out an agreement of peace.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2013, 09:59:54 pm »

The dwarves might be upset when EVERYONE TALKS AT THE SAME TIME.
-also, I liked that hydra image on google too :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:05:03 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »

You just don't understand my picture message. It basically states that we came on an exploration mission, and we wish to forge a peace agreement and possibly other such agreements in the future.
A picture is worth a thousand words.

And I'm still interested, just didn't have anything else to say.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 40