Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TONGSROBUST: Let's catch us some dinosaurs! (community fortress  (Read 883 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
TONGSROBUST: Let's catch us some dinosaurs! (community fortress
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived dwarves and elves and stuff. Nothing was too out-of-the-ordinary for such a world, and everything went as expected.
One day, however, strange creatures began to appear in the desert. The elves took one look at them and ran, because they were wimps, but the dwarves had an idea.
They were going to get the biggest, scariest, most elf-eating beast they could.
And they were going to make SOCKS OUT OF ITS FUR, THEN FLOOD THE WORLD WITH MAGMA. It seemed reasonable at the time...

Okay, so I'm going to shamelessly self-promote Saur Fortress by making a community fortress and taming a Tarbosaurus to make socks with its fur, amongst other things. And so, Tongsrobust began. The dwarves are:

1 miner/dodger, expedition leader, Avuz Godenkol
1 miner/weaponsmith/armoursmith, Sarvesh Tizotlogem
1 axeman/woodcutter/carpenter, Kib Athelsosh
1 mason/engraver/building designer/mechanic, Muthkat Adilfath
1 stone crafter/bone cutter/gem carver, Meng Zasitothlest
1 brewer/animal trainer/beekeeper, Zasit Rithzagod
1 grower/cook/butcher, Kivish Olonatir

and I would like to give them all a nickname so I can remember who they are.
This should also be a good learning curve, with everyone telling to do something crazy, or something like that. And so, LET THE FORTRESS... BEGIN!!!

Update 1- IT BEGINS WITH A WHOLE LOAD OF CARP (update continuing until end of Spring)

1st Granite
The dwarves have embarked upon a desert with a temperate stream in it. They have brought a herd of loyal pigs, and a two-humped camel and a water buffalo pull their cart.

However, there is a problem:

Their entire river is filled with carp. And a random pike. (A couple of seconds later, a small group of camel wandered in.)

24th Granite
The dwarves have been busy. A bridge has been made across the river, for when the traders arrive. A food stockpile, a furniture/finished goods stockpile, a refuse stockpile, a stone/gems stockpile, a weapons stockpile and an armour stockpile have been set up, along with a carpenter's, a still, a kitchen (not finished), a trade depot (not finished), a butcher's (not finished) and a smelter (not finished).

This will do until the miners finish mining. They are currently mining out an area composed of chert, 3 z-levels down. After that, they'll need to dig out the farms. There is currently not enough insanity, but that will probably change soon enough.

10th Slate
To defend our stockpiles and our dwarves from roaming beasts, the orders for the constructions of a wall have been made. We are yet to have enough stone for a proper wall, but it will do until later. We made sure to wall in a (potentially profitable) hive of bees with us.

The mining is still rather slow. This may take a while...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:58:19 am by Eotyrannus »

Vayaviya Vayu

• Bay Watcher
  • The Divine Wind
    • View Profile
Re: TONGSROBUST: Let's catch us some dinosaurs! (community fortress
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:08 am »

Dinosaurs? In my Dwarf Fortress?
Sure, why not? Sign me up, name the miner/smith after me if possible.
Do you have all the dinos included in the save folder?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:29:30 am »

THOU SHALT BE DORF'D.

Yup, they're in the save. I just need to clear the lands of carp, so they have enough space to spawn.

Hey, guys. How do I let people do whichever jobs I say they should do? Will probably get stuff done faster.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 01:04:42 pm »

Bind my soul to the mechanic
I PTW anything that seems interesting

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:34:00 pm »

THOU HAST BEEN DORF'D.

5th Galena
After a while, the fortress has been improving. A farm was created...

Our first dinosaurs were spotted (and didn't eat us, considering they were Gigantoraptor)...

A pair of migrants arrived, a bowyer and a siege engineer (the sieger was told to go sit on a chair and do bookwork, and the bowyer was told to learn how to be a mason)...

And everything seems to be working, even if it's a bit slow. And even if the animal trainer chose every hive other than the one that was nearby.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »

Hey, guys. How do I let people do whichever jobs I say they should do? Will probably get stuff done faster.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Labor
good luck! :)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:22:40 pm »

NOTICE: I've updated the saves (and Saur Fortress) so that both Velociraptor and Gigantoraptor are LARGE_PREDATORs. Will probably make this a bit more !!fun!!.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:49 pm »

UPDATE 3: AUTUMN

Some more migrants have arrived to the fortress, including a new farmer, a milker and a gem-setter. Most people would use the milker for other things, but I have decided that he shall be the fortress pig-cheese-maker.
InZane was stung by a bee, probably while drinking.
Progress is being made on the wall, a lever has been attached to the bridge, and a new bridge is being made for when we need to close the door.
A small group of cage traps have been made, to see if we can catch something in them.
A lamb was slaughtered earlier.
There's a piglet or two now, so we might have meat soon....
However, a pair of Gigantoraptor are wandering around, close to the fort. And I have no military in case things go pear-shaped.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 12:13:59 pm »

Goddam need
I PTW anything that seems interesting