Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Voices, a minor mod (Now Version 2!)  (Read 6580 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Dwarven Voices, a minor mod (Now Version 2!)
« on: February 11, 2013, 08:06:57 pm »

So this is my attempt at giving dwarves their own voices, basically by making a new noble position and assigning all dwarves to it, so they each get one demand, enough to add some flavor to the game, and something to do/tantrum spirals to start, but they can't have people beaten for it.
I've tried to make the position assigned automatically, but you can't do that, but if you go through the list of availible dwarfs, any one without "dwarf" or another noble/custom title will tell you who needs it.
I thought it might be fun for community games and the like, to add more for the stories.
There is also a "named dwarf" position put in specifically for community games, named dwarves need more things and can demand more in order to make them more dynamic, plus a slew of other tokens added in to hopefully give them more interaction with the living world once DF 2013 is released.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just drop the raws into the position section of the dwarf entity folder and assign dwarves as they appear in the fort.
I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

EDIT:
UPDATE: I have updated the Dwarven Voices mod, it now works, in my opinion, a lot better. regular dwarves now no longer get a mandate, but require a bed now, it seemed more fitting, plus I like it for the fact that you can see how many homeless people you have.
Named Dwarves no longer need a tomb, it was kinda awkward since it was the only thing that you didn't just shove in thier rooms, plus ghosts can be fun, especially since the whole idea of this mod is to make more opportunies for amusing stories.
ALSO, they no longer need that stupid table and chair when you start, so they aren't as needy, overall making them more manageable and fun to play with.
The biggest change is that there are now two tiers for the dwarves, when you first embark, normal dwarves need only a bed, and named dwarves just a couple of other things, but now, when your population hits 50 and you get a mayor, they are "upgraded" to the second tier, and become more needy, now that you have the resources and manpower to satisfy them.
In the second tier, normal dwarves will also need their cabnets and chests,as well as get their single mandate, and named dwarves will need their tables and chair again.
I also added in two more positions beyond what was needed for the second tier, The Overseer, and Former Overseer.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:55:42 pm by mastahcheese »
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I need some entity positions help...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »

Try removing [ELECTED] and [APPOINTED_BY], see what happens.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:13:21 pm »

Try removing [ELECTED] and [APPOINTED_BY], see what happens.
The position wont show up at all again now.
The Derail Thread

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 11:42:10 pm »

I'm not the most reliable source, so feel free to disregard my claim, but I don't think this is possible yet.
It should be technically possible at some point, but for now I believe it rests outside your current hopes.

Also: This idea of giving the dwarves their own voice is almost... human!
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 09:03:52 pm »

Also: This idea of giving the dwarves their own voice is almost... human!
I thought it would be cool in succestion games, where you could make dwarfed people yell at you in-game for more lols, I guess I'll just do it manually.
The Derail Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:12:29 pm »

Yeah right now the idea seems possible (assuming there isn't some hardcoded mumbo-jumbo that works with squad leaders), but I don't think there is anyway you can make it automatically assign all of the dwarves to positions. It might work if you tried assigning an arbitrarily large number (say 200) instead of AS_NEEDED though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 09:21:24 pm »

Yeah right now the idea seems possible (assuming there isn't some hardcoded mumbo-jumbo that works with squad leaders), but I don't think there is anyway you can make it automatically assign all of the dwarves to positions. It might work if you tried assigning an arbitrarily large number (say 200) instead of AS_NEEDED though.
Just tried it, it didn't work, but it did make me laugh with the stupidly long nobles list of 300 "dwarf" positions
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 03:08:14 am »

I think I've got my mod ready now, I've updated the main page, thanks for all of your guys' help!
The Derail Thread

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Voices, a minor mod
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 09:22:20 pm »

Maybe it could be an elected position, like MAYOR is? Make it re-elect every season or so and you'd have a new dwarf voicing his opinion 4 times out of the year.

I know this is a little bit of a Necro, but I feel that this may be helpful to put out there.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Voices, a minor mod
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:43:42 pm »

Maybe it could be an elected position, like MAYOR is? Make it re-elect every season or so and you'd have a new dwarf voicing his opinion 4 times out of the year.
I know this is a little bit of a Necro, but I feel that this may be helpful to put out there.
They actually do have elected in them, but for whatever reason it doesn't auto-assign like I wanted it to. But if I take it out, the position doesn't show up at all.
The Derail Thread

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Voices, a minor mod (Now Version 2!)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »

Ok, I've now updated the mod so it should be a lot more fun and amusing, but mostly to make it more manageable in-game. I've updated the OP with (almost) full information on the changes, and it should be a lot better now.
Again, thank you to everybody who helped me out in this endeavor!
The Derail Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:34 pm »

Dwarven Voices... thats what I am just doing. But with a completely different system. They can identify who they are fighting against now and make comments about it. For example a dwarf sees a kobold, attacks and yells: "Die kobold! This is the last time you stole from us!"

I might have a look at yours, because an optional settings for my mod, making it harder to manage happyness and rooms would be nice. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 07:14:37 pm »

Dwarven Voices... thats what I am just doing. But with a completely different system. They can identify who they are fighting against now and make comments about it. For example a dwarf sees a kobold, attacks and yells: "Die kobold! This is the last time you stole from us!"

I might have a look at yours, because an optional settings for my mod, making it harder to manage happyness and rooms would be nice. :)
It wasn't originally meant to make room management more difficult, it just ended up that way, lol.
The real reason I started this was because I like to read community stories, and some of the better writers out there are really good about including the various activities of other dwarves, which is nice if that dwarf is named after you, it makes you feel like you play a larger role in the development of the fort. And so with my mod, it creates actually, in-game effects for those writers to pinpoint on and comment on, and I added in the Overseer and Former Overseer to add more character and depth to the writers themselves.

Another thing that I wanted is for the named dwarves to have a larger footprint in the world. With the upcoming update that lets the world continue to develop after you have arrived in it, and with the retirement of fortresses, I wanted those dwarves that you can recognize to have opportunities to be historically important, beyond the options that just regular people have.

Also, I'm always wishing I had more things to do in-between the lulls of hyper-activity from sieges, etc., so I made everybody incredibly whiny, which seems to fit thier chaotic mood swings rather nicely.

But anyway, [/rant], What you mentioned for your mod sounds really cool, I'll have to check that out.
The Derail Thread

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 07:19:26 pm »

I understand it right, every dwarf becomes a noble, and can potentially have demands, mandates and room requirements, if I would add them to this noble template?

You cant check anything out on what I am doing yet, nothing is released yet. But it turned out to be a lot more work then I thought, I spend the last hours writing 49 speech files. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 07:57:51 pm »

I understand it right, every dwarf becomes a noble, and can potentially have demands, mandates and room requirements, if I would add them to this noble template?

You cant check anything out on what I am doing yet, nothing is released yet. But it turned out to be a lot more work then I thought, I spend the last hours writing 49 speech files. ^^
Yeah, you still have to manually add each individual to the positions, I tried quite a few different ways to get them to auto-assign and I can't get it to work.
But, golly, that sounds like a lot of work, when I first had my ideas of becoming a video game designer, I had no idea that about 70% of it is repeating the exact same line 40 times over, with only minor changes between all of them, and that's even with the programs I have to use because I don't know any actual code language, I've seen pictures of real code and it's many times harder than what I've done.
The Derail Thread
Pages: [1] 2