Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a passive ('hands-off') strategy/fighting game  (Read 9465 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Looking for a passive ('hands-off') strategy/fighting game
« on: February 12, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »

As the title says, I'm looking for a game in which I can muck around a little at the start, and after that just watch stuff blow other stuff up. Basically, games like Gratuitous Space Battles, but with combat that is less looking at fireworks and more decapitations :P.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Looking for a passive ('hands-off') strategy/fighting game
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:19 pm »

Uhm... SourceTV? (only half joking here)
Your request for hands-off is at odds with your desire for decapitations.
If you're that involved to be watching the gratuitous violence, then you're too involved for hands-off. (Or you're not involved at all, a la Spectator viewing.)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:49 pm »

Hrm. Toribash, maybe? It's a bit more hands on than you're looking for, but more like what you're describing than your average fighting game.

Other than that and what's already mentioned... Ogre Battle comes sorta' close. There's probably more stuff out there, just... small and hard to find. And I haven't found it, m'self.

E:For whatever reason (probably half of it is that it's harder to program...), that sort of set-it-up-and-let-it-run aesthetic is pretty rare outside of tower defense stuff. Which is a damn shame, because I love it.

Also, dominions 3, now that I think about it. The strategy aspect is definitely not hands off (micromanagement like goddamn), but the combat is very much like gratuitous space battles et al.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:56:16 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:19:09 pm »

In Submarine Titans (Pretty much a starcraft knockoff) you can sic several AI players against each other.

Several hard AIs duking it out is a nice thing to watch i guess.

Then there is sping where you can do pretty much the same thing (but the AIs are usuall pretty dumb unless you use a specific mod).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:24:48 pm »

Man, Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War would be awesome if it allowed you to play as an observer in a Computer vs Computer match.

Not only it doesn't allow zero human players, it also has this thing were one AI gets all the processing power and the others are sitting ducks. ::)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:23 pm »

Wouldn't it be possible to arrange a match with 7 CPUs and yourself and just watch or something like that? Your base could serve as an extra strategic point. :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:17:02 pm »

Wouldn't it be possible to arrange a match with 7 CPUs and yourself and just watch or something like that? Your base could serve as an extra strategic point. :P

I tried but the aforementioned AI cpu hog ends up steamrolling all the other factions (who just sit there) and then easily kills me. Not very fun to watch in the replay.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 03:15:31 pm »

Rawbots looks interesting, but is sadly not on Steam or TPB. And I often play RTS's an an observer. Usually Warcraft III or Starcraft II. Might as well check out Dominions...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 05:20:56 pm »

I am not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Digimon World 1 has a fairly hands off fighting mechanics. You set behaviors at most and watch the Digimon you raised duel it out with other Digimon.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 05:42:50 pm »

I would recommend Majesty and its successor, Majesty 2. Hands-off fantasy RTS, check! Some tongue-in-cheek humour too.

Settlers 2 Gold Edition is an option too. Sure, it's an old game. But the sim aspect was superb. And the combat was just "you guys, attack that outpost", which then showed some nice sprite-on-sprite action. You can't get more hands-off than that.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 05:44:26 pm »

Kenshi sort of has handsoff combat for your followers and its getting a economy update soon so you can start making money real easier and able to afford a army.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:55:08 pm »

Kenshi sort of has handsoff combat for your followers and its getting a economy update soon so you can start making money real easier and able to afford a army.

Going to disagree there. Most of its "Hands off nature" has to do with how broken and unfinished combat it. Yet there is a strategy that requires constant attention if it did in fact work.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:49 pm »

Going to disagree there. Most of its "Hands off nature" has to do with how broken and unfinished combat it. Yet there is a strategy that requires constant attention if it did in fact work.
i did say sort of :P
its still in alpha phase but im liking where its going, i would just get it now before the price jumps up.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 05:44:40 am »

If you use Android or IOS I have JUST the game for you.

Hmm. I am trying out the game Dungeon Diary ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.windbellrrr.app.dungeondiary&hl=es )

While it may not be a LOOKER, it is probably one of the best PASSIVE games I've played. It's a mix between an RPG and a programming *lite* sim.

You give a girl a series of commands to do in the dungeon ( IF enemy is present turn left, IF lost teleport to dungeon entrance etc) and you basically have to undertake a series of quests and give back a bunch of money to some lady who will expand your inventory bag little by little for doing it.

An obscure gem, I'm having a heck of a time playing.

The best thing is it's hands off once you go into the dungeon, you can minimize and come back later and see if your planning paid off, or you could, you know, watch it in real time.

I think it might be what you are looking for?
Poysky Productions
Pages: [1] 2