Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #20: Feedback  (Read 44566 times)

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #20: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 08:01:34 pm »

Yeah. If I'd known it was gonna be like that, I might have tried for it as well. Unfortunately I figured since someone else already volunteered, it would do no more good. I'll know better next time. (I'm not being cynical, just ironic.)
Or y'all could have parallelized: one of you transcribe the first half, one start halfway through and do the second.  (Or similarly with more than two people.)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:12:54 pm »

I thought the moving sound thread was called that because someone used *moving sound* as a sound effect in a comic?

I have no idea.  I had a recollection of it being moved from one subforum to another, but I could be mistaken about that.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 08:34:32 pm »

... Or y'all could have parallelized: one of you transcribe the first half, one start halfway through and do the second.  (Or similarly with more than two people.)
Hey, if someone wants to pick up at 30:23 this evening (or at least, the next 12 hours) and continue, I'll be happy to pick up wherever they get to, tomorrow. :)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 12:26:23 am »

By the way, what's the music that Ollieh plays? Is there a written form of it?

I thought the moving sound thread was called that because someone used *moving sound* as a sound effect in a comic?

I have no idea.  I had a recollection of it being moved from one subforum to another, but I could be mistaken about that.
Yeah, I vaguely remember that too but I don't think that's where *moving sound* comes from.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:31:20 pm »

Wow, I just got to ~33:30 where rainseeker? is talking about the Jenday Conure he has in his lap.  :o

I've had a Jenday for 20 years now.   Awesome bird!    8)

... transcription continues!
EDIT: up to 44 minutes now, updated my first post in the thread.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:59:30 pm by vjek »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 05:35:13 pm »

I listened through all of this and I felt like there was very little question-answering going on; mostly bantering and outlandish joking about dwarves with flesh tentacle beards. Most of what I heard about actual Dwarf Fortress development from this recording has already been posted in the normal news posts and forum posts. I seem to recall that Tarn posted saying there was a shortage of community questions available, so I sent one in (it relates to the UI for placing buildings and constructions); though I feel like you guys did very little of answering the community's questions over the 72 minute recording, and didn't get to my question either, which makes me wonder if I somehow got a damaged or incomplete copy of the recording, as it did end abruptly.

Did I mistakenly not download the whole recording, and miss a bunch of it? Or are my observations essentially correct? (not trying to be impolite here in the slightest--it's just what I perceive; I don't normally listen to these). My copy is 72 minutes in length.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 05:54:39 pm »

Dwarf Fortress Talk #20 (posted February 13, 2013): Download (1:12:23, 39.9 MB), music by Ollieh

From dftalk downlad page; that would mean your copy is correct. I agree that older df talks were more question-oriented, but I have a feeling that Future of the Fortress thread is intended to be the place for questions-answers.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 06:09:24 pm »

Were they?  We answered more questions this time than ever, I think.  I'm not sure we've ever gotten into double digits before, but I may be wrong.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

Either way, it was still cool to listen to, and I wasn't annoyed at anything. The participants all have good chemistry so it was nice background noise for the game I was playing at the time. It's probably just because I follow the front page so diligently that I felt I got less information out of the talk than some. In any case, I plan to start listening to these more regularly and contributing questions when I have them.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:11 pm »

Great talk as always!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:39 pm »

Either way, it was still cool to listen to, and I wasn't annoyed at anything. The participants all have good chemistry so it was nice background noise for the game I was playing at the time. It's probably just because I follow the front page so diligently that I felt I got less information out of the talk than some. In any case, I plan to start listening to these more regularly and contributing questions when I have them.

The amount of information you get with any talk can be great or small.

There have been a few with what can cynically called "No information" but this isn't one of them.

It just isn't a bombshell talk that changes things up. Mostly because Toady doesn't keep much back just for the talk.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 12:34:30 am »

Transcription update.

Oh, and I had some feedback:

Regarding randomized beast materials; a feature request: can a file be created for materials that they are NOT possibly made out of?  An exception list, so we can avoid snow, slush, and brine demons/titans/fb's if we want?  Empty by default, read at worldgen.  Just let us populate the file with single line entries per material to not use.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:40:06 am by vjek »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 01:00:30 am »

The amount of information you get with any talk can be great or small.

There have been a few with what can cynically called "No information" but this isn't one of them.

It just isn't a bombshell talk that changes things up. Mostly because Toady doesn't keep much back just for the talk.

Pretty much this- I think in terms of "questions answered" this was easily the highest, especially since the bulk of the Talk was QA as opposed to discussion of a single topic, but several of the questions asked have been things Toady has already discussed in depth before, and/or they aren't things he can elaborate on because he hasn't gotten far enough to actually devote time to it yet. Once you've been following the development of the game long enough (or can be arsed to do a bit of research) you find that most questions that can be asked have already been touched on at some time or other.

Which is not to say I don't enjoy listening to/reading DF Talk, since even just hearing Toady rephrase the same thing again helps me grok the future of DF better. Not to mention that with a game of DFs development length, things can change since they were last discussed four years ago :P

I think I'm going to steal that bit about the Hobbits foot-beards, I laughed pretty good at that.

And thanks for stepping up with a transcript, vjek! I'm too easily distracted to listen to the Talks, I always get sidetracked by something somebody says and end up tuning out for a minute or three. Much easier to mark my place when it's in text. I noticed a scant handful of grammar errors, not anything I care about or that makes comprehension more difficult, but I will note that the music is by "Ollieh", not "Oliay" at the end there. Thanks once again!

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 04:13:13 am »

Sigh. Well, things came along slower than I expected with the transcription (my birthday + back-to-back 12 hour shifts at work), so while I'm pretty far along, I see that vjek has beaten me to the punch -- And done a pretty good job of it too! So, I suppose I yield.

(Man though, that dropbox interface could really use Text Wrapping, couldn't it? I was thinking... "This looks way too short to be the whole thing." Then I realized that the screen scroll was a mile long!)

By the way, I think this is the most fun of any of the episodes so far. When that guy wrote in asking Scamps if he was a Megabeast, I totally lost it, leading to strange looks from coworkers.  :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:15:56 am by Torchy »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:31 am »

... (Man though, that dropbox interface could really use Text Wrapping, couldn't it? I was thinking... "This looks way too short to be the whole thing." Then I realized that the screen scroll was a mile long!) ..
Yeah, here's an html-ified version with wrapping, to save on some scrolling.  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3