Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 100945 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoshash Snazaga, "The Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:48 pm »

The goblin/kobold shantys are overseen by craftsorcs, the human/dwarf labor cells are overseen by siegeworkers (usually Corsairs).
I have the game open now, do you have a preference for Trak'Ruhn between: Corsair female; warrior Uruk male; Artisan craftsorc male?
ed:  right, or as Firehawk says, you could be a snaga scribe who which would be "A goblin who masters tasks".  ^^

I went with the Uruk, jobs modified so that you'll be running the labor camp (stonecrafting, clothesmaking, mechanics, seige operation)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:31:40 pm by smakemupagus »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2013, 02:42:19 pm »

Perfect, yeah over-seeing the labor camps and brutalizing the slaves was my idea.

"Get to work worms!  Our Warboss want results."
* boots a goblin *

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2013, 05:03:35 pm »

Tomia175 the Dreamwalker arrived (along with 4 other dreamwalkers in a migration wave), she is Legendary in both suturing and wound dressing, and even knows which end of a sword to hold in a pinch. 

Played through "Chapter 9" SPR/SUM 253; going to test patch 1.02 before Meph's new version release, so not sure when I'll get to the write up. 
mini preview
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:15:41 pm by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:10 am »

Chapter 9: Fire and Sword
Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.

Granite 253

A new year dawns on Ghoshash Snazaga.   We have not yet grown rich, but we have plenty to survive. Our crafts-orcs have created fine bows, swords and spears; and armor of leather and bronze: the warband grows strong and the clan-holding is secure for the time.

At the new year council the ale flows, and plans for the coming season are formed.  Warchief Broken Mind and Ranger-chief Firehawk bring a report from the miltary.  Clanmates! it reads: With your support we have crushed  warbands of the treacherous elves and the savage tigermen.  However we will soon face greater foes and for this we need stronger weapons.  Our brave raiders have stolen the plans for a Heavy Weapons Armory from the proud humans.  Our intrepid miners have rended mithril from the depths of the earth.  It is the time to reform and modernize the military!  However the clanmates reply:  We only have 8 bars of steel, and 1 boulder of mithril, and a few scraps of coal.  Your reforms may take more than a few new-moons.  In the end the clanmates agree to the following.

The bow-warband wants stronger ammunition to face armored enemies, so the Fletcher will be assigned to make some metal and gemtip arrows. But the clanmates agree: we will not today raid the elves for great bows or enchanted arrows.  The Orcish Arrows squad takes on 1 new snaga recruit, and now has 6 total.

The gun-warband has two muskets, and wants to use these black powder weapons to crush our foes.  The clan agrees to smelt 20 bars of silver and mint 20 stacks of coins.  The Freelancers will then use this coin to obtain bullets.  The gunners would like more bullets than this.  The clanmates suggest that the gunners could jump into a bottomless pit and see if they find some more bullets there.  Gamerlord and Cpt. Higgs form their own 2-orc musket detachment (The Gory Muskets).  Our flachette-gun squad, The Plague Gunners drafts 2 more snaga to fill the slots, 4 total. 

The melee-warband reforms.  Our master swords-orcs design a new heavy warband uniform called the 'Juggernaut' kit.  Juggernauts will use patternwelded daikatana crafted from mithril and steel at the Damasc shop: a longsword as deadly as macuahuitl, but with a razor edge that penetrates all but the finest armor.  Juggernauts will equip tower shields and platemail: upgraded at the Heavy Weapons Armory from orcish armor, steel, and Dwarven tools.  The clanmates agree to several more raids on the Dwarves to collect steel and toolkits.  Dohon and Mavj create a new squad in the Juggernaut pattern (The Black Elders) and are given the highest equipment priority.  They also collect 2 new recruits. 

Broken Mind is given promising fresh Uruk and Orc recruits for the Malignant Dances, 6 total.  The Dances equip fine spears looted from the fallen elves and steel hammers stolen from the dwarves, with light armor of lamellar leather and salvaged mithril mail.  The Orcish Arrows and the Malignant Dances maintain the highest degree of order and readiness while the other squads 'modernize'.

Taskmaster Trak'Ruhn has his goblin shanty-workers make some magma-safe stone anvils for the new Heavy Weapons Armory.  Miners extend the exporatory shaft into the eastern side of the cavern finding some more interesting materials: emerald and wolfram deposits.

Slate, 253.

The factory turns out mail and shields for the new recruits; and weapons for ongoing Raids.  Miners dig out the found silver veins for coins, and for the hope of striking more mithril.  Craftsorcs turn tigerman-fur wool into yarn, then to bags.  Bags are needed by the Damasc artisan to hold mithril powder. The artisans have organized a forge shop-floor towards production of Juggernaut equipment, although for some time they will still struggle with shortages of steel and fuel.

A group of 24 migrants, bringing our numbers to 80 adult orcs.  Among them a legendary woodcrafter and several other Artisans.  Best of all, the renowned Tomia175 has arrived and brought with her an entire detachment of four dreamwalkers!  Tomia is a legend for her medical skills and even has a bit of experience with a sword.  Tomia speaks:  I bring my travel-clan to found a Sorcerer's Temple.  This powerful and dangerous arcane knowledge is forbidden in soft large cities, but is needed here in the savage wilds.  Listen: the wealth and martial prowess of Ghoshash Snazaga draws the attention of the Barbarian Nemesis, Meph the Mysterious.  What will you do when he arrives, with a century of dwarves, three-dozen of cave crawlers, a squadron of iron men?  Perhaps you will shut the gates and starve?  Perhaps you will open the gates and die with glory and valor? 

A mighty cheer of VICTORY OR DEATH from the clanmates.  I am not sure this was exactly Dreamwalker Tomia's intended rhetorical point, and yet the miners already run eagerly to delve her temple.

Tomia175 has been inspired and claims a leatherworks!  Behold, "Amazedspewed the veiled Coils," a tough leather jacket, with tough leather spikes, and with images of an Armok's shroom in tough leather.  Perhaps it is an omen.

Gwathlobal and Tomia convince the Raiders to begin to attacks on the Drow to get some extra bloodsteel for the Altars of Storms in the new temple, and see if we can get anything else of value for the Dreamwalkers.  In fact, we are very lucky, in just three attempts we get already an Arcane Forge blueprint, Raise Dead spell, Blademaster weapon society codex, and a couple packs of darkmoon arrows.  The bad news is that we have now transformed every tree on this site into charcoal or longboats.  Now that we have cloth crops for sails and rope coming in it is probably past time to switch to xebec raid ships, which use some less wood.

The flachette and musket squads, sharing the duty of patrolling the keep, have some friendly competitions.

Felsite, 253.

We furnish the Great Hall with enough tables and chairs for the clan, but just with rock furniture at the time.  Miners get a big soil cavern delved for fungiwood and pigtail farms, and for wolf-pups to grow and train.

A wereskink is detected by the watch-geese, and soon is driven away by volleys of fire from the ranged squads.  But, this uses the last of the musket-balls in hand.  Just as the first peasant orcs exit the fort after alert: they run into a Elven spear-squad at the back door! This time the patrol is lead by an elite Druidic bow-elf. 

The elf gets off only one shot (clipping the wing off a stray condor) before the melee orcs tear him to pieces.  The spear-elves scatter but we let them run without chase, wary of a counter ambush.  Bow and Flachette rangers post to the wall turrets.  Indeed an Elf unicorn archer-calvary squad arrives shortly: it is good we were not caught in the open.  One or two mad elves are mounted on giant thrips and gunned down as they attempt an assault on the wall.  The bow-orcs cripple many of the unicorns, but their bone jagged arrows glance off the assassins' fine elven armor.  We unlock the back door, and the melee squads stand ready.  The elf captain is perhaps our first worthy foe - respendent in mithril mail, a Druidic sworddancer with the skill to match any of our champions with a blade.  At just this critical moment Firehawk and Ilena leave their post and rush downstairs! only to reemerge a few seconds later.  *Twang*  One shot, a glint of the sun off a copper arrows head, and suddenly the elf lord stands grasping his bloody side in disbelief.  *Twang*  A second shot, a rush of darkness and chill air, and the elf falls to the ground, destroyed utterly by the fell enchantment of Firehawk's darkmoon arrow.

The melee orcs rush from the gate and slaughter the remaining calvary as they flee: the cowardly elves still hold practically full quivers to recover.  Firehawk is slightly disappointed to learn that the vaunted elvish archers carried composite bows of no better make than our own, but we do recover a three-dozen of enchanted arrows.

Hematite, 253

I take a break from stone detailing the atrium of the Dark Temple space to finally meet with the Clan Liason.  Those decadent fools are still willing to pay a premium for goblets and many sorts of crafts. 

We give the money-grubbing Freelancers more hard earned shillings for ammo, and Gamerlord unloaded half of them already into one giant red panda.  Gamerlord speaks: it is better than a giant red panda eating the farm-snaga!  Although snaga do not cost so many shillings. As Hematite moon comes to an end, we find another 11 migrants.  Broken Mind finishes the panda off with a single strike from her war-claws.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 04:14:35 am by smakemupagus »

leafar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:14 am »

if there is still a free dreamwalker, i'd like to take one
(preferably male)
Quote from: LookingForGroup
I bet you would've laughed more if you were on fire.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2013, 11:57:18 am »

Hmpf, wat kaind of pointy ears are that? Caaring only combosite bows? Smelt tham down ta mithril, clad tha warriors with et and get me sam prober bows for ma boyz!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2013, 11:58:20 am »

Yep, one of the migrants in Hematite was a male dreamwalker.  He's very weak (302) even for a Dreamwalker (so you can let me know whether or not you volunteer if Gwathlobal and Tomia start a spell-sword squad later) but an expert brewer, by far our best. 

... Although at the moment we're just brewing swill for the Dwarven Labor Camp to drink while mining for us.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 12:07:50 pm by smakemupagus »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »

"You There!  NO BREAK!!  We have much jobs to do.  Work hard or I feed you to Elves."

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21:12 pm »

Is there a skill connected to being a Dreamwalker or not?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19:34 pm »

The Dreamwalker caste has natural skill (3) in diagnose, alchemy, extract strand, and magic-nature (called "druid" in game text).  They have a boosted learn rate to those plus architecture and medical skills.

Alchemy is not used much by orcs currently, just for generating magma at the Fluidcaster.

Strand extraction is used at the Totem pole, for simple/spiritual magic, including "Commune with the spirits," which is a way to generate Dreamwalkers Talismans (mana) from nothing.  Any peasant can do this, but very slowly.  Where a DW will do it much faster.

Magic-Nature is used for all the "serious" magic at the Altar of Storms (and/or the Stone Circle), including transforming to a Sorcerer or learning new spells.  So, if you set the Altar of Storms workshop profile to "requires novice" skill, only orcs who are qualified to learn spells (DW, Sorc, or Druid) should ever use it.

Magic-Nature is also the governing attack skill for the ranged mode of the Wraithblade and Ivywhip weapons.  Again, any peasant could wield them, but a magic user has the right aptitude.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:23:40 pm by smakemupagus »

leafar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2013, 02:22:41 pm »

Yep, one of the migrants in Hematite was a male dreamwalker.  He's very weak (302) even for a Dreamwalker (so you can let me know whether or not you volunteer if Gwathlobal and Tomia start a spell-sword squad later) but an expert brewer, by far our best.

you call me weak? i'll show you the true power of the dark side orcish magic!

ps: i know all the spirits: the good, the bad and the spirituous :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 02:25:27 pm by leafar »
Quote from: LookingForGroup
I bet you would've laughed more if you were on fire.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2013, 02:25:16 pm »

ps: i know all the spirits :D

lol.  took me a second to get it 8)

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »

What skill is used at the Freelancer's guild? Or isn't there any skill used/a basic skill?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2013, 03:01:05 pm »

Freelancer's Guild (and the caravan Bazaars) are APPRAISAL;
Raider's Drydock is SIEGECRAFT.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »

I am sad. No giant dwarven siegeforce battering down on you with golems, riding plaguebearers and using javelin throwers with volcanic javelins. :(
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16