Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13


Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 64244 times)

Meph

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

First recorded hell-colonization in MasterworkDF. Well done.

Did you have no initial demon-spawn at the spire? (they sometimes spawn under another spire, is it far away and they havent fought yet?)

I have a note in my changelog about a non-flying hell-civ. Not a real entity, but chaos-soldiers that patrol the lower hell, with armor and weapons merged with their flesh. A bit tougher then normal demons... and then add flying custom demons for that rush up the spire....

Vanilla demons have to be removed for this, because they would fight each other, but I still like the idea. Sadly hell would be less random then...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 09:26:52 am by Meph »
Logged
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broken

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That was glorious.

Did i managed to kill a demon, or was all the glory claimed by the rangers?
Logged
Quote
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

smakemupagus

  • Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Yeah, there was a demon-spawn event, but it was a couple years ago when we were mining adamantine.  It happened when I was carving fortification-windows into the spire to see whether each layer was solid and could be quarried, and eventually we hit the hollow one of course.  I could see that there spawned a bunch of devils inside, but since they couldn't get out, they flew down out of sight.  I don't know what happened to those demons.  Did they migrate off the map some time, or did they just disperse across hell and were among the guys we eventually fought?

Meph

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Quote
I was carving fortification-windows into the spire

You know, here I sit and think I know everything about this game, and then I have to read something like that.
Logged
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

  • Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

########
#
# Epilogue 1

COMMEMORATING THE LEGENDARY HONORED DEAD

Sgt. Srishak'glugburz - First Orc to set foot in the Underworld
Latuul Snazguuagrat
Snazguul Narkuumpmuzg

and the other orcs who fell in victory: there were at least nine.

THE SLAIN FOES WERE LEGION

3 brute of sand
13 shade brute
24 red ghost
14 steam ghost
15 horned phantom
13 white phantom
12 flash banshee
5 white ghost

including 8 named Lords of the Underworld.



the following kills have been recorded in the histories
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:15:30 pm by smakemupagus »
Logged

Ruhn

  • Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile

-- Epic --

smakemupagus

  • Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I have a note in my changelog about a non-flying hell-civ. Not a real entity, but chaos-soldiers that patrol the lower hell, with armor and weapons merged with their flesh. A bit tougher then normal demons... and then add flying custom demons for that rush up the spire....

A pity to lose the randomness, but I think this could be worth doing.  As long as there were still some fliers too, to harrass you.  The 3rd cavern in MDF is already tough, but of course the controllable civs get access to the high end weapons and skills and stuff to be able to deal with it.  So there's not a huge jump in challenge going down to the next level.  Tougher demons with more varied strengths and weaknesses could be nice.  Most of the ones I got in this world were glass-cannon types, deadly but brittle.

Being able to mine slade seems like a little thing, but it makes it much easier to get an Underworld settlement up, because defending your masons when they work in the open seems to be one of the hardest parts.  With diggable slade you just have to start with a simple enclosed stairway and you can dig out ammo storage/beds/whatever underneath in relative safety. 

(I guess if I wanted to be more careful I should have built some of this facilities nearby before touching down the tower to the ground level... I wasn't quite prepared for how dicey it would get when all the ranged troops ran out of ammo/drink at the same time, nor for how much more aggressive the demons would get once they had a ground path to the base.  But I wanted to finish the assault by end of year ;) )


« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 01:59:28 pm by smakemupagus »
Logged

Meph

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Well, not many people will enter hell, but two completely customwritten waves of enemies, flying and ground, I think I can give them pretty absurd attack ratings. :)

And then you gather the itemcorpses to summon 'Meph the great Defiler' or something at the colosseum, the final boss. :P (or, you summon your own friendly 'Armok, God of Blood' at the temple. Your reward for conquering hell is your own private deity that massacres sieges. I like that idea. Takes 50 demon-corpses to summon.)
Logged
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broken

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make a reaction that needs ten demon corpses, with a 90% chance of a superdemon and a 10% of bringing Armok.
Logged
Quote
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Meph

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

You know what? I am bumping this, because its still relevant as a tutorial for MDF orcs. :)
Logged
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

dshannon

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A pity smake doesn't seem to have been active in about a year, his style of story writing is exciting.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]