Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 99694 times)

gwathlobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoshash Snazaga, "The Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 05:18:29 pm »

Haha! Bronze spears? Wooden shields?
Bloodsteel to the bloodsteel god! Claws to the claws throne!

PS. As for exports, that's of no importance IMHO. I already shared my preferences - some weapons/ammo for the first year (e.g. tomahawks), the second year caravan is missed because dwarves like to come a few days before or exactly on the 16th of Timber, so you get your ordered supplies on year 3 when you have plenty of resources already.
Allies might change something, but I never play with them.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 05:28:52 pm by gwathlobal »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 06:08:10 pm »

Haha! Bronze spears? Wooden shields?
Bloodsteel to the bloodsteel god! Claws to the claws throne!

Yeah ... not sure exactly what the 'claws throne' is ... but you might be on to something.  Just got the autumn migration wave and 4 of the 6 are veterans:

One Uruk(f) Very Strong for an uruk (3800); she's already competent knife-user (i.e. war claws).  Also she has a pet sabrecat cub.
One Corsair(m)
One Orc(m) gunner
One Orc(m) swordsorc

Off for a bit, cheers all.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 06:11:31 pm by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 05:56:58 am »

Dibs that Corsair. Also, give him the seawolf society kit thingy when possible. Pretty please?

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 05:59:47 am »

What's a corsair?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 06:07:02 am »

One of the Castes. Good at appraising, siege engineering, operation and guns.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 08:02:02 am »

Very much enjoying this so far. I'm playing an orc fort as well and I'm trying to get used to all the new stuff.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

BeserkNINJA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:05 am »

Can i have the Gunner name him Cpt. Higgs Give him a musket when possible until then have him do whats needed.
good story so far Keep it up

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 11:47:25 am »

I will take the female uruk, call her broken mind and puther to train assap.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 11:59:55 am »

I will take the female uruk, call her broken mind and puther to train assap.

Cool I was just about to post and ask if that was OK ^^  Yes, I agree training ASAP sounds like a great plan. 
Then, all the warriors from this wave are claimed including Mavj the Swords-orc.

One of the new snaga NPCs is a master glassmaker, the other is so far a total nobody. 

Gunners: Will prioritize getting you some nice Muskets and Seawolf Arms and etc., but for now you're getting a blowgun and some darts :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 12:02:56 pm by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »

Sure you can't get some dart guns from the GT?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2013, 12:29:34 pm »

Yep certainly, you'll both have tinkerer's Flachette guns by the time the elves visit.
ed. -- Hmm, forgot we need metallurgist, i.e. iron, to get brass for Flachette guns.  Might not be able to pull through in time on that one after all :/

Our civilization had some successful wars in Legends

The Destruction of the Tigermen in 77
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check out those entries that follow the Pillaging of Crimsonblazed :o

The Automaton War of 82
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:49:59 am by smakemupagus »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Chapter 4: Warchief
Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.

Limestone, 251

The clan builds both the caravan trade depot and the Freelancer's guild.  We delve out a storage cellar for Orcish shillings: that is, rusty iron coins.  Also delve another cellar for the goods to exchange at the Freelancer's: bounties (totems, blood barrels, large gems) and nautical supplies (pulleys, cloth, booze).  For now we will sell mostly totems.  Shillings can then be spent at the Freelancer to get weapons and ammo: it is more expensive than we could afford right now.  I plan to stockpile the shillings.  We will soon use them to pay Raiding Crews at the Raiders' Drydock. 

Sandstone, 251

The miners strike Sapphire while digging some workspace near the new great-hall.  These most precious gems like Sapphire (and ruby, emerald, and clear diamond) can be used by Dreamwalkers to craft spell codexes.  Of course we do not yet have any Places of Power built for Dreamwalkers.  Even if an absent minded craftsorc uses them up, our Raiders or Trackers can try to get some more sapphires later.  For now: we put them in a box.

The alarm sounds! The watch-wolves have sighted a pack of about 5 slug men.  Unlike the simple-minded centaurs, the Slug men are a little more persistent even in the face of our direwolves' Zone of Terror.  Firehawk and his militia are called to duty.  This is not a great situation because they are all civilians with work-uniforms (hunter, miner, treecutter) and they show up in a random mix of their work and military gear.  It works out OK, the wolves help a lot.  Our only casualty is a broken jaw on our treecutter.  It does not slow him down very much.

Late in Sandstone we recieve another caravan of migrants.  No simple country-orcs this time: 4 grim veterans, formerly of the Hex of Tweeting.  Chief of their travel-clan is Broken Mind, a mighty Uruk warrior who spurns 'ranged weapons' such as our long hafted spears.  She is preferring instead close work with daggers or war-claws.  Her leutentant is a skilled Swordsorc named Mavj.  Their travelling companions were two deadly gunners: Gamerlord and Cpt Higgs.  These gunners both have valuable civilian skills too: Gamerlord the Corsair can use his Seigecraft skill to help Keita run the Freelancer's Guild and Raider's Drydock, while Cpt. Higgs is a grandmaster leatherworker.  Also, their aides were two snaga: a glassmaker and a peasant.

We reorganize the military.  Firehawk's squad is relieved of woodcutters and miners.  In fact he is kept off of active duty, and on the hunt.  New uniforms for gunners, archers, and melee are drawn up.  Everyone adds one metal mail armor, one lupine-mask, and one cloak to their basic kit.  Archers and Gunners are assigned both common rudimentary weapons (recurve bow, blowgun) and an upgraded weapon (composite bow, flachette gun).  This works fine as long as it uses the same ammo (arrows, darts).  The armory-master will later remove the rudimentary weapons from the individual's uniform as the upgrades become available. 

Broken Mind becomes Warchief and assigned to train with Mavj full time.  Gamerlord is assigned Sargeant of Gunners, his squad is inactive for now.  Scribe Keita draws up a plan to arm our new military.  The blood and ash are components for the bloodsteel melee weapons.  The sawblades are for a factory, although we need also a couple more anvils.  This factory will then allow us to mass produce blocks and also some basic military gear.  The daggers are for weapon kits, soon to be used to arm our Raiding Crews.

Timber, 251

The pallisade is now complete, including eastern and western gates.  Broken Mind spends most of the month crushing Mavj in the new sparring ring.

Firehawk just took down a giant moose, although he went through two full quivers of arrows on it.  I order the melee squad out to finish it off, and make sure that the hauler orcs know that standing orders are: gather refuse from outside.  Traders from the home-land arrive very late in the month.  Since our only decent crafter spent the whole summer working on weapons all we have for trade are two bins of crappy rock mugs.  With luck our Corsairs can swindle some extra profit out of this deal.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 03:30:47 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2013, 03:44:29 pm »

I would like to be dwarved as the dwarven general/weapon-lord, if any come by. :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:22 pm »

LOL.  I will do this, although it might have to be with MSPaint.  ... I had shanghai'd you as our slightly grumpy shaman, I'll retcon that to be whoever asked to be an aspiring sorcerer since that will actually fill a good role in the tutorial :)

<<Snazgazg Gazguuk>>, the Barbarian Nemesis
Meph the Mysterious, Dwarven Inventor & Battlemaster

Fun fact:  The high-warlord of our civilization is a babysnatched Dwarven cheesemaker.  (Although, we'll never see him on the map, I guess).

ed.  Does anyone know if it is possible to restrict the great Clanfather position (monarch) to be an Orc in the mod? 
In this game maybe there is a DFHack trick I can use to rename a Dwarf General?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:22:41 pm by smakemupagus »

tomio175

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 05:47:45 pm »

The dreamwalker role falls to me then. Name her Tomia, will you?
...You're arguing with the GM? Why don't you argue with Jesus about how much Peter liked clams?
Because each player's delicious tears are fuel for the continued torture that is the Warrens of Oric the Awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16