Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 99653 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoshash Snazaga, "The Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:36 pm »

Lovin' the write-ups, smakemupagus!

One minor niggle, it's Dohon with an o at the end, not an a. ;) Fan of DBZ by any chance?
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2013, 06:05:08 pm »

Hmm, elves coming at the same time as migrants? That's new to me.

Quite late in the year, too (Malachite) for elves.  I wonder if they had been lurking in ambush for a while, but if so they evaded the sentry-goslings. ???

Lovin' the write-ups, smakemupagus!
One minor niggle, it's Dohon with an o at the end, not an a. ;) Fan of DBZ by any chance?

Oops sorry!  Will try to remember to fix it.  Nope, what little I know of it at all I learned by trying to make sense of what Putnam does with his DBZ mod :)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2013, 11:25:24 pm »

So am I just using a regular blowgun?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 08:00:04 am »

FOR GLORY! FOR VICTORY! BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 08:56:24 am »

"sniff sniff" Do stinky elves have nice bows? Firehawk wants nice bow!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »

###############

Chapter 7: Spoils of War
Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.

The warband lets loose their battle crys and race outside to face down the elvish assassins.  Mavj charges to lead the assault, disarming several of the elves.  Our ranged attacks do not pierce the enemy's mithril armor, but volume of fire causes a great deal of pain and distraction. Dohon and Broken Mind fight like demons: and in very short time the ambush is broken. 

Spoiler: elf battle (click to show/hide)

Galena 252:

A moody crafter bellows:  I need bones!  for the ancient art!  The timing of his madness is excellent.  Elves are a plentiful and renewable resource.  Behold <<Snaakhaazagrak>> "Problematic Clinch", an elfbone maul, wrapped in rare silk and emblazoned with the image of a nether horror.  The butcher-shop and the boneyard are busy. 

Spoiler: renewable resources (click to show/hide)

Limestone 252:

There were 8 migrant survivors, including the 2 rescued wrestlers and 2 corsairs.    The corsairs volunteer for Gamerlord's gunnery squad.  With four talented gunners it is now past time to better equip them.  Using iron in stock from the Dwarf-raid: a Metallurgists' shop, for brass.  A goblin tinkerers' brass flachette gun fires with tens of times the force and velocity of a simple blow-gun.  It is a good choice compared to pistols, since darts are plentiful and bullets are expensive.

Spoiler: flachette gunner gear (click to show/hide)

Lasher-recruit Agrat is found dead: we learn later by reading his tomb-slab that he was killed by a giant tick.  A reminder of the dangers of these savage wilds.  The ticks stupidly killed themselves on our single stone-axe and bone-spike trap.  Talata: a surviving migrant-wrestler who still has both hands, is drafted to fill his spot.

From the dead elves we gain many items of mithril.  Their small armor and small helms can be re-forged into proper Orc-sized gear at the Molten Pit.  Such "makeshift mail" has some ill-fitting gaps and so provides only 80% coverage, but mithril is lightweight and can be layered with another piece of armor.  In this case we set it up with a stockpile link accepting only unusable armor.  I do not to give "repeat" orders to the foolish workers, or they sometimes waste time and coal by re-fitting the same item multiple times.  Alternating armor and helms in small batches is the best practice.  Also in this case we do not order the worker to "destroy armors in the melt," which would produce only slag-products: malachite, dolomite, potash, rusty-iron. 

Spoiler: mithril reforging (click to show/hide)

The elves also bring us mithril blocking bracers: a shield that orcs like to equip as a status symbol, but in combat far inferior to a solid orcish kite shield.  I will order these melted down in the Smelter to recover the mithril.  The elvish great-hunter's spears are deadly enough, but lack the elegant brutality of a true warrior's weapon.  They are also too large and unwieldy for smaller orcs or snaga: so these may someday end in weapon traps or the melt.  For now, they are stashed in the armory.  Firehawk speaks: where are the elven bows?  where are the enchanted arrows?  But these elves brought us no bows.

Sandstone 252:

A small unremarkable group of migrants. The military gets some live practice against a particularly vicious group of wild-monsters (centaurs and giant jumping spiders). The foundation for a Factory is finally placed.

Timber 252

The fall caravan has arrived with our ordered crates of iron and steel, and our seeds.  Our homeland brothers share with us news and rumors: Human and Dwarvish forces have been sighted in the hinterlands.  These pinkskins fight with a tenacity greater than that of the elves; they will bring a powerful force and siege a fort for up to 9 new-moons, cutting off trade and all contact with the world.  We must prepare to bring the fight to their siege-camps.  We begin by laying around the fort: foundations for sentry towers north, south, east, and west. 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:43:33 pm by smakemupagus »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 12:53:11 pm »

Excellent. Hey, can I get a bandanna and/or a lupine mask? Just because.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 12:59:09 pm »

Sure! you probably already have a shell or bone lupine mask, I may not have shown the 2nd page of your inventory in screenshot.  But I'll buy enough Freelancers' bandannas for the gunners squad too :)

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »

Excellent. I sound badass!

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 04:06:27 pm »

Thinks Firehawk knows and finds curious: Giving a crafter some spines and tell him "make bone crafts!" results in 100% large gems, able to be cashed in at the freelancers guild. He also wants revenge on the elves and one of their bows!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 04:15:23 pm »

Interesting.  Bone crafts is a vanilla reaction though. ... Do you mean spines, like, backbones?  (if so, awesome and um.... working as intended! ;) )
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:18:17 pm by smakemupagus »

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2013, 04:21:15 pm »

"These Elves have no honour, springing from ambush to cut down Orc like wheat. Let them taste the sharpness of our blades and drown in blood that sprays forth from cowardly veins. Take their trinkets, smash them to bits and wear it to your chest. Laugh as they charge with anger in their eyes. They will fear the name of Thrakha ere the new moon comes."

The orcs are really doing well. Those elves didn't stand a chance, if you ask me. Then again, combined arms always tends to bring victory. Looking forward to some more Elf-crushing. ;)
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 08:53:00 pm »

OK, Dohon is nominated for the clan warrior-poet ^^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2013, 11:01:46 am »

Funny how Firehawk fired at the groin, fired at the groin, fired at the upper thight... last arrow must have missed the target by a fraction ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16