Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 99658 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Ghoshash Snazaga, "The Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2013, 01:30:42 pm »

###############

Chapter 8: Stronghold
Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.
Moonstone 252

The clan builds sentry towers, but peasant-masons struggle with fear of the savage wilds.  The military stands with them and drive away the giant kingsnakes.  Once the foundations are laid: miners connect the towers to our keep with underground tunnels and masons continue their work from the inside.  Gunners return to patrol the perimeter of the central keep, and keep the surroundings clear.  This allows the peasant-woodcutters to harvest trees, which we will need in great quantity for longboats.

Miners delve more rooms as living quarters, and a great space for training grounds.  For veterans: barracks, armory stockpiles, and archery targets.  For new recruits: weight sets and blood bowl pitches.  At the Weight Set an orc can lift blocks to build wrestling skill and strength.  He can also use up training weapons, bucklers, or armor to practice other military skills.  At the Blood Bowl pitch an orc can use up leather to build basic physical skills.  Orcs will get more out of their normal military sparring practice and avoid unhappy military thoughts once they have some foundation in skill. 

The training center also has some totem poles.  Warriors can stop here before battle to cast voodoos on themselves, such as the Rite of No Pain.  Any orc can go to the totem pole with an instrument and begin playing music which inspires their nearby clan-mates for a while.  I assign our clan warrior-poet Dohon to play tamborine drums, which enhance the speed of all warriors.  Battle horns clear the mind of warriors and allow them to potentially enter a martial trance, as Uruks do.  The Rites of Bravery are most useful for civilian siege operators.  Scribe Keita sets Workshop Profiles to manage the use of these stations in the Training center.

The clan council meets, for the time has come to export destruction and fire!  Firehawk speaks:  we need revenge upon the elves!  and elven bows, and shiny arrows!  But the clan-mates reply: the elves are already repaid with their own doom.  Gamerlord speaks:  let us raid upon the humans and take their muskets!  The clan-mates wonder: if we spend our money on musket-balls then can we still afford more raids?  The council debate goes on.  In the end it is decided to strike the humans and dwarves first, but also to greatly expand capacity for raiding in the new-year.

The factory begins to mass produce cheap weapons for the raiders, and the forge mints a few thousands of silver coins.  An extra freelancers' guild is needed to change silver coins to rusty iron shillings.  An extra drydock keeps up production of weapon kits and longboats.

Opal 252

The miners are idle, so I allow them to delve some test-mineshafts about 30 levels down: one under the western forest and one under the foothills.  The forest-mine strikes an expansive cavern with a lake, but no interesting minerals sighted in the walls.  We seal the shaft for now.  The mountain-mine strikes a silver vein with mithril clusters.  Demonbutter and the other craftsorcs prepare to work mithril by placing a damasc forge.  We can obtain powdered mithril by grinding ore, or perhaps a small amount too by grinding the melted elven bucklers.  We will need to use our supplies of steel as well as the mithril if we decide to craft some fine damascene swords.

Obsidian 252

A vile force of darkness is sighted!  But it is just a scouting detachment of tigermen, led by a tiger-captain on a giant moth.  Firehawk leads his boworcs to climb to the foundation of the eastern tower and rain arrows upon them, while the gunners shoot down the moth steed.  The blade militia fall on the wounded tigermen and butcher them in moments.  Dohon gains a title in the battle. 

Spoiler: Tigerman skirmish (click to show/hide)

As the year closes, we have two successful longboats return from four raids.

Spoiler: Successful raids (click to show/hide)

Boss! speaks the raid captain.  The human town had a fancy factory building fulla steam gizmos and cannons!  Amazingly the raider managed to sketch a workable drawing of the site.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:16:44 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2013, 06:48:40 pm »

If you make blueprints out of INORGANIC:BLANK they lose their prefix. No more marble heavy weapon blueprints, but only "heavy weapon blueprints". Dont know if the material name is intentional or not.

I am still waiting for the perfect day to bring my mighty dwarven army to raze this little fort to the ground...  >:(

Edit: Poll: My vote is on "Dark Temple for Sorcerers" simply because its one of the most difficult features for players to learn, and therefore the most useful to post in detail here. :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 07:34:11 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2013, 08:02:07 pm »

If you make blueprints out of INORGANIC:BLANK they lose their prefix.

Ah, good idea.  I will think about that.  I like that you can use materials to control where the different tools get stockpiled, but for some of them ("Tin Human Captive") it's a bit strange.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2013, 09:21:56 pm »

*grabs the steel musket and bullets*

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2013, 02:59:17 am »

No bows... Firehawk is sad nao. Build canons! Kill tha pointyears with big ball and gimme sam bows!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2013, 07:24:48 am »

Blank is stockpiled with non-economic stones. You could also use adjectives, like "detailed/copied" so people can find it in the stockpile menu. Still a bit weird though. Same goes for your captives. "Healthy/beat-up/chained/caged" human captive ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2013, 02:37:19 pm »

I am still waiting for the perfect day to bring my mighty dwarven army to raze this little fort to the ground...  >:(

I am waiting for them too, Brokenmind wants a title.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2013, 02:56:59 pm »

Hello fellow orclings! I belive the female bow orc. Ronin is still free? If so please sign me up, otherwise if I could be a dreamspeaker? Towards spell casting that would be cool too, female of course, name her ilena that would be awesome too! Glory to the warchief!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »

Yep, the bow Ronin is still free.  She should also be 'Ilena' then?  Will start up year 253 soon!

Destra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2013, 04:57:15 pm »

Yes please, until I think up a properly fitting orc name, or we could keep the one there, either or :p

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2013, 07:15:00 pm »

Does anyone know how to limit who trains in my buildings to squads or certain dwarves?

If I burrow the spots will jerk dwarves still steal training?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »

Simply use the workshop profile, an often not-known feature of every workshop. You need an appointed manager to unlock it. :)

mavj96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2013, 09:03:19 am »

:)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »

Trak'Ruhn will join this war camp.
Some kind of goblin task master is preferred, or he could be a warrior.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2013, 01:01:50 pm »

Is that "taskmaster", as in "oversees tasks" or "taskmaster" as in "slaver, horrible creature and unpleasant to be around in general"? :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16