Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga use the looted Fluidcaster?

Engineer a new magma forge near the surface
- 5 (38.5%)
Build some obsidian traps
- 2 (15.4%)
Build lava pump weapons on a tower/walls
- 3 (23.1%)
Make some minecart weapons
- 1 (7.7%)
Bah, who needs it?  We have axes, don't we?
- 2 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Ghoshash Snazaga, "Cleaver of Ignorance," a ¤MDF Orc Fort¤ tutorial (Ch 22)  (Read 100669 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The dwarfs have fallen! Is time to open the earth and show who are the real demons.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

No, kills have to be checked individually. I dont think dfhack has anything for this. Maybe splinterz can add it to the therapist, "sort by number of kills".

The Warchief twists the embedded adamantine claws around in the General's chest. That must have been nice.  :o Did I get away, or did I die? If I am dead, I would like a slab, to see what it says about the General. :) Was that spearpriest wearing no armor? Or better yet, do you have a save with the invasion going on? I would love to have a look.

Besides, very well played. :) Congrats.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

I have seasonal autosaves, so I have the Winter is falling autosave right after the battle.

Spearpriest was wearing:
w.cobalt halberd
steel shield
iron helm
tough leather armor, boots

random sworddwarf:
mithril zweihander
bronze round shield
steel helm
chitinplate armor, trousers
tough leather cloak

random xbow:
wolfram jav thrower
deep bronze javs [29]
meteoric blocking bracker, helm
scaleplate armor, boot
rigid scaleplate trousers

these look pretty typical for everyone.  I don't see any metal armor except helms and shields.   Hammerlord had welded mithril warhammer, ugh (worst weapon possible??).  Poor general "Meph" ... just a shellplate cloak and rare silk clothes, no weapon or shield, unless
they're scattered.  Um, yeah, he's dead.  I'll add his slab to the Hall of Golems next update ;)

I'll post it. Let me know if you want an earlier save, but I don't know how it works, if you'll get a dwarven seige still or is it re-random?

A Dwarven Winter - 01-10-256
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7597

p.s. I went back to look at 01-10-255.. right in the middle of the battle with that dwarf sniper.. those dwarves were equipped the same way.  metal helm, shield, weapon; chitinplate or rigid-scaleplate armor & cloaks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:13:28 pm by smakemupagus »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have noticed this bug with generals: Since they are radomly chosen historical figures, that rarely have weapon skills, they come whitout
weapons and armor.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thank you smake. :)

Generals in vanilla are usually some firebreathing twisted demon that rules the goblins, at least for me, so I never noticed that bug with inadequate equipment.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

###################
#

Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.
Chapter 18: Beast Slayer

Moonstone, 256.

While the warbands recover from the Dwarven assault, a flying forgotten beast finds its way into the tree-farm and wolfram mines of the Mossy Cavern.  Several  peasants get very nasty poisoned bites.  Talata's new militia squad was not committed to the main part of the dwarf-battle, so her troops are fresh: they are the first to arrive and put the monster down.  Talata was the migrant who survived the first elven ambush years ago, by strangling the would-be elf assassin.  Now a scarred and veteran warrior, she wields the claws and blade of the Jaguar Society and leads our newest warband "The Lost Corruptions".

Shortly after: another beast, a tough one with an amber carapace, in the Deep Cavern.  It quickly kills a miner and a peasant gatherer, and begins to pound on our sentry-golem.  Unfortunately, it has hidden away in a tight corridor where it is hard to bring ranged weapons to bear on it, and the beast's webs are effective in these quarters.  One orc warrior is killed and Huscarl Dohon suffers an ankle injury.  Talata strikes the killing blow on this second beast as well.

Opal, 256

The hospital is  overwhelmed.  Several peasants affected by the poisonous-beast, and orcs wounded in the great Dwarven battle have critical injuries.  They are unlikely to survive, but their care is slowing the shamans' response to Dohon and other treatable injuries.  An expanded hospital and multiple extra wells are being delved.  The shamans will at least have the supplies they need.  We add a apothecarius: to empty used water-buckets.  We add an anatomical theatre: to dispose of extra elf-skeletons while somewhat training the diagnosis skill.  The Sorcerers are relieved from military duty for some time so they can focus on shaman-work.

In the meantime: the clanmates construct a Hall of Trophies to commemorate a few of our great victories.
Spoiler: hall of trophies (click to show/hide)

Obsidian, 256

After a month of diagnoses by child dreamwalkers: finally Huscarl Dohon is attended to by an actual medical professional (Mystic) and soon after is up and about.  His ankle is repaired with adamantine sutures, of course.  I personally bring water and food to the patients, which is a much more important duty than meeting with the home-clan liason.  He has been here over a year: he can wait for one more week, or another year for all I care.  The liason was amazed at the titanium-inlay damasc amulet we send home last year, and jokes that if we had made two such princely crafts then the clanfather would move here himself, an Ghoshash Snazaga would have been made the new great clan-holding.  Ha!  I laugh: there is actually a whole pile of those useless trinkets here somewhere, in a bin along with the dwarf sternum scepters, or perhaps they are at the jeweler's shop being encrusted with sapphires.  He thinks I am not telling the truth, but he is not sure.  I remind him that he is free to go down to the Deep Cavern and visit the titania mines at any time.

The war-council orders the Plague Gunners to switch from flachette guns to bayonetted muskets.  We have acquired these weapons by looting elite guards among the human and automaton invaders for several years.  This should increase our gunners' effectiveness against armored foes and their ability in close combat.  Musket ammo is expensive whether from travelling caravans or from the Freelancer's Guild, but we now have plenty to barter.

Scribe Keita withdraws from society! ... and crafts an artifact chert didgeridoo.  We put it in the pile with our *other* artifact chert didgeridoo.

The Rangers have a mastodon hunting competition.  Firehawk and Bolugd each take down two of the massive beasts.  Bolugd with his deep-bronze mechanical crossbow was sniping them through the heart at over sixty paces, but Firehawk was judged champion since he did not resort to use of any shadowleaf poison.
Spoiler: hunting (click to show/hide)

Granite, 257

We trade with the Drow for wood, and for a supply of bulletspikes for the muskets.  I finally conclude my meetings with the liason, and the lands of Ghoshash Snazaga become recognized formally as a true clan-holding.  I am elevated to the rank of Hersir, and am now authorized to assign Tomia to the rank of Battlemage.  She and Gwathlobal each now captain a separate squad.  Eight sorcerers in one place tended to overkill a single target anyway.  Now they can overkill two targets simultaneously.
Spoiler: promotions (click to show/hide)

Slate, 257

There is a dangerous flaw in our magma forge: the furnace channels connect directly to the open caldera above the Great Magma Sea.  To keep the forge safe when we eventually assault the underworld, I think we have no choice but to floor over the caldera.  The masons and miners must also secure several other locations to keep our foothold in the Deep Caverns.  Architects place orders to build walls, remove ramps, lay traps, and add some more towers carved into natural stalactites.  The archer's towers are connected to the fortress interior separately and are intended to be secure against flying enemies as well.  Firehawk and Shrishak issue station orders to keep a small garrison of soldiers in these towers at all times.

Felsite, 257

The work goes slowly, and the Deep Cavern entrance still remains dangerously unsecured.  With about 70 of our 130 adults either in the military, medical, or noble position, there is a limited work force.  The 80 kids will be able to work at five years, so they should start growing up soon.

A raptor attack topside!  Some idiot children wander out of burrows, which has at least the benefit of drawing the raptor warriors into range of arrowfire from the walls.  Once the raptors' formation begins to break: the warbands charge out and attempt to save as many of the peasants as possible.  These raptors carried decent bronze and steel axes and helms, but it was still good practice for the newest recruits.  The orcs are finally heavily armored enough to face live action, at least against an inferior foe.

Talata announces that she has become attached to her Jaguar Warrior society arms kit.
Spoiler: fond memories (click to show/hide)

Malachite, 257

A toxic forgotten beast got in through the Mossy Cavern.  Engineers!  I speak:  why was this cavern not locked down after the previous incident?  We have stripped all the wolfram ore and all the cavern plants that we need!  There was a not-obvious flaw in the archer's tower, and the beast may have snuck in through a fortification with no floor above.  Luckily a miner with a pet golem intercepted the beast in the stairway.  The direwolves that joined the fight all have a bad fever.  Although the plague does not seem too deadly, we make a lot of soap, and destroy and rebuild the contaminated stairs and walls. 

Galena, 257

The bloodiest week by far in Ghoshash Snazaga.

Ilena, on patrol in the eastern Deep Tower, spots cave dragons! She hamstrings one of them with a few well targeted arrows.  The creatures aren't moving in aggressively, but several dozen of arrows are not finishing the beast off either.  The security walls are still not complete, so the warbands rally to the quarry to deal with the threat.  Just at this time arrives a forgotten beast, composed of green glass, with poisonous vapors!  With all the warbands already on station a retreat would end in disaster, so we are committed to battle and warbands stand and fight in the shadow of our archers' covering fire.  The three cave dragons charge to join the fight as well.  The battle goes in our favor although: the archers are now out of arrows, the elite warriors are tired and bloodied, and one veteran mace-orc was struck down.
Spoiler: cavedragons (click to show/hide)

Animated armors appear immediately when the dragons are destroyed.  None of us had ever seen such a foe.  Our strongest veterans had left the field to grab a drink and rest, so our great champions were not among the defenders.  Still, all of our warriors are heavily armed and armored: none are mere dabblers in the art of war. 
Spoiler: animated armors (click to show/hide)

Eight orcs fall, including six of the warchief's personal guard, the Malignant Dances.  Two of them were veterans of many campaigns: blasted with corrosive acid, and their skulls crushed by gruesome blows even through their deepbronze and adamantine helmets. Arrows and spells glance off the monsters with no effect.  Finally through sheer numbers, and bravery, the warbands prevail.   The creatures knew neither pain nor fear and needed to be hacked into fragments to stop their assault.  A dark day, but it remains a victory over foes that would have destroyed a weaker fortress.

I suggest: It really would be better if the masons actually build this wall at some point. 

Less than a new moon passes before we are attacked by a huge elven army, with trained war elephants, and unicorns.  Their ranged squads were absolutely obliterated by our archers, but it was a mere diversion! the treacherous elf calvary slipped through the back door and emerged from ambush already inside our courtyard.  Luckily the elephants are wounded greviously by our barbed-wire traps, but their great mass prevents our gate from closing, and they delivered the elves in undamaged condition for  battle.  Fortunately all squads other than the warchief's Dances are recovered to fighting shape.  Even with our numbers depleted, elves in a melee are no match for the strength and fury of a well-armed horde of orcs.  One peasant and one green recruit are killed, but about three-dozen elves and their war pets are slaughtered.
Spoiler: elven ambush (click to show/hide)

Timber, 257

Miners finally complete an alternate passage to see into the eastern part of the crystal cavern, where we can clearly see the hordes of strange Hiveguard invaders.  They are not worth the attention of the warbands at this time, but Tomia volunteers to station nearby and thin out their ranks somewhat.
Spoiler: bleeding the hiveguard (click to show/hide)

Our homeclan liason arrives, but the caravan is ambushed by automaton sharpshooter riflemen, and turns away immediately.  There was no chance to stage a rescue.  We do dispatch the two squads without too much trouble.  The Plague Gunners use the chance to test their new muskets against some worthy targets.
Spoiler: musketry duel (click to show/hide)

While defending the miners and masons: Talata kills a third forgotten beast.  In this fight, she gets a big assist from the Sorcerers and Ilena who immobilized it from their stalactite-tower.  Finally the walls of the Deep Cavern stronghold are made secure.  Engineers begin the final preparations to encase the New Quarry in obsidian, after which we should be able to extract another three-dozen adamant stones.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

through their deepbronze and adamantine helmets
Interesting. I probably should have a look at that.

Keep in mind that as soon as you kill once cluster of wildlife, a new one will appear. You could have spawned another group of monsters directly after killing the animated armors... but wow, forgotten beasts, sieges, cave dragons, and you are still alive. :) How many years does this fortress have by now?

- said Meph, the fearsome dwarven General, loving mother and wife. lol.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

>> You could have spawned another group of monsters directly after killing the animated armors
Yeah, I am glad that didn't happen :D 

>> How many years does this fortress have by now?
Started in 251, so this was the seventh year ongoing in Ch. 18. 

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile

This fort inspired me to try out the orcs, and I have learned much...primarily that I am not a competent manager of aboveground forts or nearly as capable at surviving elf attacks as you. I am, however, enjoying this tale immensely! :D
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.

jcannon98188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol it is hard to understand what is all going on, but I am loving Orc Fortress so far. I got killed. By unicorns.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Thanks, Glad you guys are enjoying it :)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It has been a long while since I read-up on your adventures, smake, but I have finished reading the final chapters and I am really loving the story. It was nice to see that Dohon not only survived, but even thrived. Huscarl? Ha, in my games, my avatar tends to be the first one to bite the bullet, generally in ways way too unpleasant to consider.  :P So, seeing Dohon has risen to Huscarl and have a wife at the same time, is refreshing. ;)

Looking forward to reading more!
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Hey Dohon, thanks for checking in :)

The fort has been a little bit on hiatus while i try to polished up some final updates for the MDF3 update, but I will definitely see these guys through to the end one way or another soon.

In the mean time there is an Orc succession fort starting up now too!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125658.msg4215655#msg4215655

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Interlude:  A traditional history by the Orcs of Ghoshash Snazaga

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

########
#
#

Journal of Thrakha'zaguul.
Chapter 19: The Last Wish

Moonstone, 257

Our butchers are processing the cave dragons, and dismantling the cursed armors into their component parts: shields, swords, breastplates.  The raiders have been ordered to scour the elvish lands for enchanted arrows and elvish bows, but instead they returned with plans for a strange building called a Treesinger's Pagoda.  The clan dreamwalkers claim that they would like to study it, for it holds secret methods that elvish herbsmiths use to twist forest saplings to obey their will.  All this is fine, if it makes us some arrows.

Spoiler: treesinger's pagoda (click to show/hide)

Demonbutter fights off a wild giant red panda.  His civilian militia tomahawk training may have saved his life.

Opal, 257

Finally, the walled trade road is the only path to our borders, and caravans should be much safer. I am planning to send enough gold and baubles to the home clan this fall, such that the greatest warriors will come here to fight at our sides.  We must keep the road secure and open through next fall.

There is another fell beast in the Deep Caverns.  With walls and bridges in place, we funnel it to a clearing and pelt it with cannon fire, then send in some well equiped but expendable recruits to finish it off.  It takes half an eternity for Gamerlord and Higgs to lug the hand-cannons to the cavern and back.  The miners have gathered all surface deposits of bluestone that lie outside the walls of our cavern-keep, so we keep shut the south gate, and for a time the caverns are safe.

Obsidian, 257

Far underground, our tinkerers, miners, and masons open the New Quarry waterworks for the first time.  By encasing a bluestone pillar in obsidian they are able to delve deeper and rend a few dozen more pieces from the earth.

Spoiler: obsidian waterworks (click to show/hide)

The alarm is raised! for a simultaneous attack of hivefighters in the crystal cavern, and tigermen on the surface.  I speak: shut the gates, for we have more important tasks at hand.  But the warleaders take me aside and speak:  Some of the veterans grow grey and old, and have not yet enough blood on their axes.  The greybeards fear that they will not be found worthy of the eternal hunting grounds, when the Black Rider comes on the First of Granite.

With this inarguable point, we throw open the gates and meet the tigers in battle.  Ten days later, I found myself touring the medical station, bringing food and water while Gwathlobal and Tomia tend to a room full of bloody and wounded orcs.

Clanchief! gasps spear-orc Muzg from his bed:  How went the battle?  I remember standing under a torrent of arrows and fire from our walls, and tearing the tiger sword-guard to pieces with my brothers.  Their blades glanced off our armor.  But then my memory goes dark.

Yes, I speak:  Probably because you were smashed on the head by the second wave of tiger macemen.  We fought on even as the snaga ran out of arrows, and some of the light infantry chased down the fleeing cats only to run alone into a third group far outside our gates.  Broken Mind and her Malignant Dances came to the rescue.

But it cannot be! speaks Muzg:  There are a dozen wounded orcs in this room!  Surely this was not the work of a few tigermen?

You are right, I reply:  Only a few days later, with the wounded still outside, a huge raptor army arrived.  Huscarl Dohon refused to lock the gate and doom our wounded soldiers and those attempting to rescue them.  Instead his elite Black Elders clanguard braced themselves to hold the door, in a strong position on the trade road, under overlapping fields of fire from all our ranged fighters.  The raptor vanguard are cut by traps, and the Elders fall upon them in the chaos, quickly routing the lizards.  In the chaos Lady Krat and one of the other Elders are separated from the squad, and find themselves alone in the southern canyon facing down a full squad of grizzly-cavalry who still had enough will to fight.  Repeatedly they dodge five, six, seven blows, before a deadly riposte with a katana or an ice-arrow sends an enemy reeling.  Finally, exhausted, they were charged and knocked down, but just at the time Broken Mind and Dohon fall upon the scene, tearing the enemies apart into a bloody haze.  In the end we lost only three of our number against countless dozens of enemies.

It was a good battle, speaks Muzg.

Spoiler:  a good battle (click to show/hide)

Granite, 258.

Muzg and boworc Laturz died of old age in the hospital.

Amid the carnage, Drow traders come to the wide open gate, with a huge wealth of bloodsteel, darkmoon arrows and cloth.  We buy everything we want with the baubles from the metal riches of the deep mines.

Slate, 258.

Keita and I have gathered the remaining wounded, and the shaman care for all their charges.

Felsite, 258.

A vast elven army stalks us, led by three deadly druidic bow-dancers.  We engage at the back door, which has been our usual spot to break elven ambushes, but this time there are numberless waves of reinforcing elf cavalry.  Fortunately our brave dire-wolves drew the brunt of the greatest volley of arrows, and with their lives bought our warriors a critical few seconds.  A few soldiers are badly blistered with what might have been collatoral-pain from the sorcerers' Agony spell bladeshards, and several others perforated with arrows or trampled by a war elephant.  They are all soon recovering in the medical hall.

The land of Ghoshash Snazaga is finally recognized as a great-clan.  As a Jarl, I can appoint Beastslayer Talata as clan Avenger, and he is allowed to pick a few chosen warriors for his guard. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:40:36 am by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16