Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Roll to D-Day: Turn 2 up.  (Read 10641 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Roll to D-Day: Turn 2 up.
« on: February 13, 2013, 12:58:09 pm »

Intro

On the 6th of June 1944 at 6.30 AM the liberation of Europe began. Around 160000 soldiers from allied nations stormed France, and for many it would be the last thing they ever did. This is your chance to be one of them.

This game is semi-inspired by Monk12's Roll to Pierce the Heavens, which can be found here. Like that game, I anticipate a high rate of character death.

Setting

Gentlemen, your target is the seaside village of Les Moulins, which lies in the centre of Omaha beach at the border between Dog Red and Easy Green sectors.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Yea, thats right. I drew a sort of historically accurate map of a section of Omaha beach in paint. Each "sort of square" is around 5m to a side.

Your mission is complete if enough soldiers survive to reach and hold the 9 tiles around (CC, 9), or if you eliminate a signifigant portion of the German defenders. This might prove difficult.

Spoiler: Terrain (click to show/hide)

Who Are You?

3 distinct groups of soldiers stormed Omaha beach. First up is the 29th Infantry Division, a green bunch of recruits just out of training. Electing to play as one of the 29th will net you only a very minor bonus depending on bio, but no penalty malus, as you have seen no combat yet. Secondly you could be one of the 1st Infantry Division, a veteran body of men already battle hardened from action in north Africa and Italy. Electing to play as one of the 1st will earn you both a more signifigant bonus and malus than one of the 29th, and also a +1 to cover rolls. Last but not least are the US Rangers, sent for thier skills in taking out hard to reach enemy emplacements. Playing as one of these nets you a bonus and malus (thanks to time served in north Africa and Italy), and a +1 to your rate of movement.

You are free to create your own character, providing it fits the situation and time period. First sign up for each division gets Capt., next gets Sgt., the rest get Pvt. All 3 groups had the usual mix of riflemen, heavy gunners, medics and suchlike, so be creative!

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Who are you up against?

The 352nd Infantry Division stands between you and your objective. They are mainly raw teenage recruits, but count amongst thier number a core of veterans from the eastern front. They are well armed - you have been warned. The enemy has 4 distinct bunkers, each will get one "move" per turn, though what they have in store for you will remain a suprise for now.

The Rolls

Turns represent time in the order of magnitude of around 180 seconds or so. You are allowed a base movement of 5 actions (any combination of move, fire, take cover, reload or other action) per turn. Specifiy the target tile for your movement and it will be rolled for - each tile will cost one action to move into. You may attack as many times per turn with whatever weapon you have at your disposal. The outcome of your attack will be rolled for. You may attack first then move, move first then attack, or attack on the move, but the outcome will be weapon, character, and situation dependant. Taking cover will cost an action, and this will be rolled for. Attack rolls are compared to cover rolls to determine if a shot hits or not. If you are hit, most damage rolls will lead to your death. Sorry!

I will be using this roller.

All rolls will be carried out on a standard d6, with the usual 6 = good to 1 = very ungood scale, with my interpretations being used to flesh out the narrative. Specific bonuses and maluses will be applied for the user of the weapon and the situation it is being used in. For example, you dont want to be using a Bazooka in CQ.

So, have it it - feel free to sign up below. I hope to start in 24 to 48 hours, depending on interest level.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:35:01 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to D-Day: Pre Game.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 01:18:01 pm »

Name: Captain Jack Blues
Division: 1st Infantry Division.
Gear: Standard M-1943 uniform, M1 Garand(scoped), Smith & Wesson Model 10 plus .30-06 Springfield rifles cartridges and .38 Long Colt cartridges.
Short Bio: Former farm boy, the air headed Jake joined the 1st Infantry Division for action and did not regret it one bit. His squad do wonder how his lack of awareness has not killed him yet.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:07:10 pm by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:32:51 pm »

Name: Sergeant Johnson Ryan
Division: 1st Infantry Divison?
Gear: Standard M-1943 uniform, Arisaka Type 99, Pistolet wz.35 Vis and a sword he acquired from his father.
Short bio: Sergeant Johnson Ryan (or Sergeant Ryan in short) uses his sword to kill nearby enemies, on the sword the name of his father is written, and on the handle of the sword lies a dried bit of his father's blood, who was shot to death, Private Ryan now seeks revenge. Sergeant Ryan has 6 fingers due to a birth defect.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 01:36:43 pm by Freshmaniscoolman »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

Scapheap: You can claim the rank of Captain if you so wish.

Freshmaniscoolman: 1) How would an American GI get thier hands on an AK-47 before D-Day? 2) Revenge against who exactly?
This is a blank sig.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:37:47 pm »

Freshmaniscoolman: 1) How would an American GI get thier hands on an AK-47 before D-Day? 2) Revenge against who exactly?

I modified it. Well, revenge against the you know, the people who killed him.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 01:46:31 pm »

Done and edited bio to reflex that
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:04 pm »

Name: Jackson Gristle
Division: 29th Infantry Division
Gear: Standard M-1943 uniform, Winchester Model 1897 plus appropriate amount of ammo, grenades, trench knife
Medium Bio: Jackson Gristle was once a World War 1 reenactor in the 22nd century, spending all his days dreaming about the glory of war. On his 20th birthday, he volunteered to test out a time machine and got sent back to the year 1943. It was a one-way trip. Since then, he has enlisted and is prepared to face one of the most grueling and famous battles of the war. His only goal is to die and leave a big enough mark on history that people in the 22nd century will know their machine worked. He has no plans to use his knowledge from the future to do anything crazy - he loves the war too much to change it. To those around him, he just appears to be a good soldier, if a little difficult to surprise.

Forgive me for not knowing about the amount of shit to carry, I'm not a big war person. And if that bio isn't allowed, I'll begrudgingly change it.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 01:58:21 pm »

I suppose its ok, as long as there is no immersion breaking :P
This is a blank sig.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 01:59:08 pm »

Huzzah! I'll make sure not to do anything too time travelly

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:40:30 pm »

Hm, now I really want an RTD that has the players drop out of a plane, MoH: Vanguard style. Because good memories.

This is too good to pass up tough.

Spoiler: I fail at tags (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 02:50:50 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 03:03:32 pm »

Name: Private Hirisho Tsutome
Division: 1st Infantry Division
Gear: Standard M-1943 uniform, MP-40, Luger, 2 Model 39 Hand Grenades (All looted off of dead/POW German soldiers), Tanto Samurai Knife (Family Antique)
Short Bio: Hirisho Tsutome was leading a fairly normal life as an American born, Japanese bank accountant. However, in the midst of WWII, Hirisho and his entire family were forcibly placed in an interment camp due to their heritage. Hirisho hated the time he and his family had to endure, until he learned off a draft that allowed young men to enter, as well as promising to let their families leave the camps. Seeing an opportunity to not only free his family, but also to get out of the camp and uphold his familial honor, Hirisho quickly joined the draft. As of D-Day, Hirisho has already fought in several battles in Italy.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:26:56 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »

Name: Steven Cooper
Division: 1st Infantry
Gear: Standard M-1943 uniform, BAR M1918A2, Sharpened Shovel, Colt M1911, Spare ammo, extra pair of socks.
Short Bio: Moved to America from England with his parents in 1930. When the manufacturing company Steven's father worked for went under in '36, his parents used their savings to set up a small auto-repair shop, which Steven was expected to help with. As soon as he hit 18, however, Steven signed up for the army, feeling it was high time he did something Important with his life. His competence with machinery was soon noted by his superiors, and he was chosen to carry one of his squads' BARs, as it was felt he was most likely able to deal with any problems that may occur with the occasionally finicky weapon.

He has often been seen looking at British Bren Guns with jealousy, but has not yet been able to acquire one.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 05:28:56 pm »

Players so far:

Spoiler: RESERVED BY TCM (click to show/hide)

Turn 0 will be posted in around 12 hours.[/list]
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:39:03 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 05:33:48 pm »

I'm in, I'll sort a character now.

Name : Kalam Merkhandar.
Division : US Ranger.
Gear : Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk 3 ( Enfield modified as a sniper rifle. ), 2x Browning FN-Inglis, 2x Tsurugi ( Small straight edged japanese swords ) 10 Magazines for rifle, 12 Magazines for Brownings. Ghillie suit.
Bio : Kalam is a career soldiers, since the opening of hostilities in ww2 he has seen battle multiple times working along side marines against Japanese forces and in the process acquired 2 Tsurugi blades from officers he had defeated himself.
He has never failed to complete an assignment though taking numberous minor and major wounds in the process.
His latest deployment to join the Normandy landing comes days after being released from hospital after his squad was caught in an ambush, Kalam was the sole survivor of the fight that followed and evaded capture for 4 days with multiple wounds through the skills he was taught as a sniper and managed to kill the officer who commanded the force that killed his entire squad from a significant distance using a standard rifle, before being found barely alive by a team of British commandos on the wrong side of the frontline and being carried back to friendly territory.
Upon hearing his story one of those commandos offered Kalam his personal rifle and Ghillie suit to replace the ones he had lost and Kalam accepted as a sign of respect to the soldiers who had saved him.
Kalam also has the words Iunctus stamus, United cadamus. Fratres ad finem engraved onto every one of his weapons.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 06:43:13 pm by mesor »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2013, 05:35:15 pm »

Spoiler: Capt. Carl Cooper (click to show/hide)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11