Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Visualization of the df-flora.

(1/9) > >>

slowpokez:
Whenever I play Df I have a strange tendency to instead of viewing the game as it is represented by the tiles on the screen I end up visualising every object, every event, every character and so on, almost like reading a novel but instead of text you have the ASCII icons. Recently I thought to myself -How similar are our mental envisions of the Df world in general? It's quite a vague concept so after a few moments of pondering I came to the conclusion that prehaps I'd make some sort of a reference frame.
In the end I chose to scribble together some classic df-plants, kind of a lazy choice :P.

And they would of course be-
Plump helmet, Sweet pod, pigtails, cave wheat, quarry bush, dimple cup
Muck root, Bloated tuber, Kobold bulb, Prickle berry, Fisher berry, Wild strawberry
Sliver barb, Sun berry, Whip vine
Longland grass, Valley herb, Rat weed, Blade weed, Hide root, Rope reed.

The question is- How do you perceive them? Different? In that case how?

Dorftrottel:
I would agree with most of these, with the excption of Sweet Pods,Bloated Tuber,Quarry Bush and Whip Vine.

In my mind's eye, sweet pods are long brown rods with pods sticking on them, like willow catkins. Or long green plants with sticky culms and pods at the end, like papaver that hasn't bloomed yet.
Quarry Bushes for me are bonsai chestnut trees.
Bloated Tuber to me is...well..more bloated, like a Puffball mushroom with a hollow stem..hence the "tube".
Whip vines i percept as a kind of very long, unbloomed chives. Which, come to think of it, would make a horrible whine, so i imagine its taste much more like sweet lemon grass.

It might be that I as a non-native speaker perceive the sound and meaning of those names differently...

joeclark77:
First thought... why is the sweet pod depicted as a mushroom?  And why is it so "plump" while the plump helmet is so skinny?  Obviously sweet pods should be some sort of plant with pods on it, no?

Same thing comes to mind in the second row.  Why is the  muck root so "bloated" and the bloated tuber such a skinny root?

Finally, to answer your question, I always pictured "rope reed" as being hemp, that is, marijuana.

MattStriker:

--- Quote from: Dorftrottel on February 13, 2013, 04:49:23 pm ---It might be that I as a non-native speaker perceive the sound and meaning of those names differently...

--- End quote ---

Could very well be: 'Tuber' has nothing to do with tubes, it means 'Knolle'.

joeclark77:

--- Quote from: MattStriker on February 13, 2013, 04:59:18 pm ---
--- Quote from: Dorftrottel on February 13, 2013, 04:49:23 pm ---It might be that I as a non-native speaker perceive the sound and meaning of those names differently...

--- End quote ---

Could very well be: 'Tuber' has nothing to do with tubes, it means 'Knolle'.

--- End quote ---
In english a tuber is a plant like a potato or sweet potato, that grows underground.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version