Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Visualization of the df-flora.  (Read 20728 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Visualization of the df-flora.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2013, 03:41:18 pm »

I don't know why, but this is making me want to mod in some new plants. Including one with seeds more valuable then any other part of the plant... what happens when a MATERIAL VALUE is equal to 0? I don't actually want that, as if I'm right, it will mean infinite free at embark, but if the edible part is valued at 2, and the seeds at 5, it would be better to cook using the seeds, right?
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2013, 11:12:35 pm »

For some reason I have always thought of sweets pods as some kind of scruffy underground variety of sugar peas (Not sure what its english name is. Sugarsnap pea I think?)
They have pods and they are sweet. .Nuff said
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2013, 08:02:04 am »

For some reason I have always thought of sweets pods as some kind of scruffy underground variety of sugar peas (Not sure what its english name is. Sugarsnap pea I think?)

I think its sugar pea or snap pea, sometimes green bean, depending on the area. Kind of like soda, pop, soda pop and coke being used to order any type of carbonated beverage, regardless of brand or flavor.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 06:23:09 pm »

I think its sugar pea or snap pea, sometimes green bean, depending on the area. Kind of like soda, pop, soda pop and coke being used to order any type of carbonated beverage, regardless of brand or flavor.

I don't know many that use coke for sodas, in terms of different words
I think you mean cola, as Cola is a more general term than coke, which refers to a specific beverage most often
It'd be like asking to be passed a Sprite when you say pass the coke
I do know what you meant, I just wanted to see if you were thinking of the phrase cola
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2013, 06:30:55 pm »

Well, cola and coke are also regional.

Where I grew up in Texas (and parts of the South) coke was used to refer to any type of carbonated beverage, from Dr. Pepper to Pepsi products.

I now live in Michigan, and have for the last ten years or so, and STILL confuse waitresses when I ask for a coke, when all they have is Pepsi. Michigan uses "pop" to mean all carbonated beverages most of the time.

Possomtail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 03:21:18 am »

I generally imagine the plump-helmets to be extremely misshapen and ugly things, and sweet pods to be like smallish red melons. Also I see pigtails as being very curly, and cave wheat to look exactly like wheat but a murky grey. I pretty much agree with everything else though. 

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 05:39:20 am »

I don't know many that use coke for sodas, in terms of different words
I think you mean cola, as Cola is a more general term than coke, which refers to a specific beverage most often
It'd be like asking to be passed a Sprite when you say pass the coke
I do know what you meant, I just wanted to see if you were thinking of the phrase cola

In the American Southeast people say Coke to mean soda.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2013, 01:38:52 am »

My avatar looks like a plump helmet to me.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 05:27:11 am »

Why pig tail visualize like tail of pig? Why not pigtail hair?

Tristan Alkai

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE_CURIOSITY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2019, 04:20:55 pm »

For the cave plants, my analysis actually started with the cavern animals.  Chemosynthesis or nutrients washed down from the surface will not be anywhere near enough to support dralthas, let alone jabberers.  In order to support the observed ecosystem, local autotrophs are necessary. 

Caverns obviously lack sunlight, but this is a world where undead and various inorganic creatures exist (the general term seems to be "element men"), and presumably plants could tap into this energy source as well.  I was not the only one with this idea; there is an older forum thread on the subject (in the "general discussion" section), under the name "xenosynthesis". 

Plump helmet and Dimple cup are explicily declared to be mushrooms, but I assume that the others are plants evolved (or divinely modified) to use mana in place of sunlight. 

On a somewhat related note, I actually envision floor fungus as a lichen, not a pure fungus.  Plump helmets and dimple cups might be lichens as well, actually. 

Dimple cup: Of the images Bumber showed, the yellow ones are closer to the shape I envisioned for dimple cups (a more convincing "cup", and closer to the heart glyph used to represent them in the ASCII tileset).  As a side note, mushroom dyes are quite real, and in the aggregate offer a fairly diverse color palette, even if dimple cups specifically are fictional. 

Dimple dye is listed as "midnight blue" in descriptions (a dark purplish shade), but appears to me a darker cyan in the display (likely to avoid the problem of very dark blues blending into the black background).  It is probably indigo or a derivative. 

Plump helmet: My main visualization starting point is the "white" or "button" mushrooms you find in stores, but with the name "plump" I envisioned them as being much larger. 

Quarry bush Sort of a cross between Romaine lettuce and dandelions: long leaves spreading out in all directions (probably in multiple tiersto earn the name "bush").  I use Romaine lettuce as the main base for the appearance of individual leaves. 

I envision the seeds as being borne on a tall stalk for some reason; not quite sure why.  The name "rock nuts" indicates that the seeds have a very hard shell (probably something like almond, acorns, or walnuts), and I envision this being opened and removed before the seeds are milled for oil. 

Cave wheat: A member of the cereal grasses (wheat, rye, barley, etc., or possibly rice), adapted to the caverns but with largely superficial differences from its surface relatives. 

Pig tails: Definitely a bast fiber (from the stem, like linen).  I actually envision the "twisting stalks" as ideally trying to climb something (a stalagmite or one of the trees that grows in the caverns), and twisting around it.  Without something to climb, the stem interlocks wth itself instead. 

Sweet pods: My starting point when envisioning a "pod" os a pea pod.  Sweet pods in DF would be more plump, and I envision them being squeezed to extract the syrup. 

Cave moss: I envision this as being about as specific as "grass": a wide vvariety of species that are similar enough that the dwarves rarely need to distinguish them. 

Also, apparently some moss species can grow up to a few inches tall, instead of just growing as a crust on the ground.  This would increase the practicality of grazing by biting the plants off, instead of scraping off the moss with the tongue or something like that. 

Surface plants:
My impression of the surface plants was formed in v34.11, before most of the "real world" plants were added to the game in v40.01, and I have only partially re-evaluated since then.  Given the relative lack of variety and the large fraction which grew almost anywhere, my envisioning started with the premise that, at least when it comes to surface plants, dwarves aren't very good botanists, so the species shown were probably large clusters lumped together based on superficial similarities. 

Prickle berry: Blackberry or something similar: the berry itself isn't very prickly, but the vine it grows on is. 

Longland grass: Could refer to any or all of the cereal grasses (wheat, barley, oats, rye, upland rice, possibly some of the millets, or even pseudocereals like buckwheat and amaranth grains), except maize, which is visually quite distinct. 

Valley herb: I didn't really think about this one much, since I tend to embark in forests, where this plant doesn't grow. 

Sliver barb: Similar, since I avoid evil areas (although if I had a better way to distinguish the ones that produce undead from the ones that don't, I might be more willing to try them). 

Rope Reed: I assumed this was another bast fiber.  From the name, I actually envisioned it as producing stems that could be used directly as cord (although not necessarily very strong cord) and narrow and flexible enough to be woven directly for some applications (baskets, for example), without the more complicated processing to produce proper thread. 

Given the similarities to Pig Tail, Rope Reed may be the surface ancestor from which Pig Tail evolved or was developed.  Possibly related to papyrus, but I haven't studied papyrus in much detail. 

Whip Vine: As it happens, there actually is a real life species of this name, although I'm not sure how similar it is to the DF version. 

Hide Root: This obviously refers to, or at least includes, madder, a group of plants once grown on a fairly large scale for the red dye that can be extracted from its roots.  This dye was noted for a lack of colorfastness: DF doesn't actually render that property, but it could still serve as the reason behind its value being substantially lower than emerald and dimple dye. 

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2019, 05:27:23 am »

Rope reed is bulrush, ancient egiptians make ropes from its fiber.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:13 am »

When I not started play, but read wiki, I visualized whip vine like grape vine (because wine and flour).
Pages: 1 2 [3]