4x4 Standard
- 1 (16.7%)
Long and skinny, cut in half by river
- 2 (33.3%)
Long and skinny, following river.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Farmpracticed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Murderfarmed III)  (Read 10077 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Farmpracticed
"Never give up, no matter how many times you give up."

There are no functioning iron mines left on the Rounded Continent existence. Proper armies can no longer be outfitted, soldiers charge into combat armed with hand me down weapons and patchwork armor. An endless cycle of melting and reforging is the only source of new metal wares rendering the Dwarven civilization obsolete. There are whispers that without steel the Mountain Halls will fall to elves or the Goblin Hordes armed with looted implements of war.

The last hope for dwarfkind has flickered out. Broseph Stalin set out to prove dwarves could survive if they could learn to live above ground, Helmet Manorpraised tried to prove a thriving dwarven settlement was possible.  Both failed. What remains are the death throes of the great dwarven empires and one dwarfs resentment. Pogey's hatred for the Lash of Braids is what's led him to attempt the impossible, to succeed where so many before him have failed. To build an above ground dwarven city.

Spoiler:
Ye Olde Rules
(click to show/hide)

Dwarfing List
DeadAwaiting DwarfageSuccessfully Dwarfed

Original 7

1. Pogey, Founder
2.Hostegaard, Monk
3.Peregarrett
4.Randy, Physician
5.Wilsonns
6.Fishybang, Fishy Warrior

7.Gatorface
8.Lightningfalcon
9.Ash
10. Nerev Soldier Swordsman/Crossbowman
11.Mavj96 Militia Dwarf
12.Sheb Law enforcement
13. CognitiveDissonance Architect, Manager

14.Dorty
Overseer List

Turn SkippedTurn CompletedTurn in ProgressAwaiting Turn

1.Broseph Stalin
2.Peregarrett
3.Hostegaard
4.Randy Gnoman
5.Wilsonns
6.Lightningfalcon
7.Hermes
8.Sheb
9.Idort

Who wants to die in a forest? Just post your preferred name, with your skills and or profession and we'll get you on the fasttrack to forest death. This occurs ten years after the fall of the second Murderfarmed. The tale of Murderfarmed and Murderfarmed II can be read here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=110996.0
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:10:57 am by Broseph Stalin »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farmpracticed, A Farming Village Succession Fort (Murderfarmed III)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 12:58:12 am »

The following is the transcribed content of a letter left in the quarters of a missing dwarf. No one in the fortress knew him by name.
Hello. If you're reading this then I hate you. You never respected me, you never appreciated me, I was never one of you. Your halls mean nothing to me. Perhaps in a forgotten age it was some kind of honor to call yourself kin to the dwarves of the Lash of Braids, no more. I hauled trash from active battlefields, when you didn't want to waste a real soldier you handed me an axe and said “go get 'em”, I ran outside to see if the goblins were still there, I pulled the levers when you bastards forgot what they did. 'Expendable' I was. I could be sacrificed for the good of the fortress given the opportunity and a decent excuse. Now you're expendable. Your entire civilization crumbles a little more every day, now I abandon you I sacrifice you for my benefit. I've got the illness.

Over a dozen expeditions to live on the surface have failed since Broseph Stalin walked into the wilderness and never came back. I'll share his fate inevitably. I'm going to the woods and I'll die in those woods, probably very quickly just like the others. But if nothing eats me, if I don't freeze to death the first winter, if I don't go insane and jump into a river I'll die an old man watching your empire die. You're probably writing me off. Just expecting me to die in the first week like the others, but I have something they don't.

See since you never cared about me you didn't notice when I left. Slipped out with the caravans, spent some time in a town up the coast. There I met a lunatic. A raving madman with a crown made of leaves and a confusing, often conflicting account of his life. I listened to him jabber for hours. Then I told him how badly I hated you. How sick I was of you. He gave me a book bound in “the elf-leather of a cloth bearing war-elf” it's composed of helpful guides, warnings, psychotic ramblings, death threats, a long list of elf-schemes, how to spot a vampire at twelve paces, how to prevent a well from freezing, how to build a stable house out of nothing but mud and sticks, the proper procedures for doing everything from chasing off a bear to poisoning the gnomish assassins living in your well.

Oh yes, do you understand now? Helmet Manorpraised, The Mad Mayor of Murderfarmed. He robbed you and built a settlement out of what he looted from you then duped you into trading with him. Murderd elves for fun, bushes just to prove he could, declared the death of all gods then announced his own divinity, murdered countless of dwarves in a massive witchhunt, built a secret vampire army to sack the mountain halls, renounced your traditions and proved dwarves could live on the surface. That Helmet Manorpraised.

Broseph Stalin was the first, his journal, blueprints, plans, guides, and lists found their way to Hlemets hands and Helmet consolidated them into a book. When Murdeframed II fell he lived despite common perception, fled into the wilderness. And he lived. For seven years. He wrote down everything he knew, everything he learned in that book. Decades of knowledge are consolidated into this book I now hold. Bound in the hide of the elvish assassins who failed to kill him this tome I christen The Murderous Farm will see me through the coldest winters. Six have joined my cause, six more dregs you ignored. I am no longer one of you so I cannot ask for much, but if you would the last of you to abandon your festering pit of death set fire to what remains of the fortress? I will watch the northern skies for a pillar of black smoke, I'd like to sip a little wine celebrate your destruction.

The name I had when I left means nothing; know me only as Pogey.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 07:52:37 am »

Hey, dworf me and sign me up as an overseer. I won't have time for the next week or so, but after that it should be no problem. So but me at spot #3 or so for overseeing I guess?

And my dwarf? Hmm, beekeeper maybe? The honey must flow! Perhaps combine that with being a doctor? I could be a monk with a small monastery where wounded can recover and a garden with few beehives I tend so I can make mead. Or just something fun, I am not picky. Woodcutter could work too, if so it might be useful to have me in a civilian militia so I can put my axe to use if need be.

Oh, one thing that I noticed last time was that the map was getting quite crowded and wood quite sparse, I would recommend embarking on a larger map, since we are not digging down it should be fine.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:48:17 am by hostergaard »
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:22:19 am »

Sign me up for a turn.
Are we allowed to mine for stone and ore?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30:55 am »

I'm interested in a turn.  I want clarification on one rule, though:  "no public services." This means that you can have meeting halls and hospitals, but only if a named dwarf "owns" them, right?

If this is correct, then I would like a turn, and to be dwarfed:

'Randy,' Physician-
Diagnostician (3)
Bone Doctor(1)
Surgeon(1)
Suturer(1)
Wound Dresser(1)
Butcher(2)
Soaper(1)

Would like to set up a clinic.  When there are no patients, willing to practice surgical skills by butchering livestock, and to manufacture soap for the clinic (if there's no weaver, also willing to be used occasionally to make cloth for bandages, if we're short).  If you could pick a dwarf with good mental stats, that would be ideal.

wilsonns

• Bay Watcher
  • Golden hair?Green eyes?Spiky beard?Super Dorf Jin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:59:40 am »

I want to play!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:06 pm »

Sign me up for a turn.
No, I thought rendering the aquifer impassible would suffice but just to clarify no stone or ore.
I'm interested in a turn.  I want clarification on one rule, though:  "no public services." This means that you can have meeting halls and hospitals, but only if a named dwarf "owns" them, right?

Spot on.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 12:08:15 pm »

Sign me up for a turn.
No, I thought rendering the aquifer impassible would suffice but just to clarify no stone or ore.
"No getting through aquifer" allows getting around it.  ;D
But ok, glass, clay and wood constructions then. And a terrific shortage of mechanisms! Nice challenge.
Dorf me as whoever, I don't care.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 12:09:57 pm »

Hey, dworf me and sign me up as an overseer. I won't have time for the next week or so, but after that it should be no problem. So but me at spot #3 or so for overseeing I guess?

And my dwarf? Hmm, beekeeper maybe? The honey must flow! Perhaps combine that with being a doctor? I could be a monk with a small monastery where wounded can recover and a garden with few beehives I tend so I can make mead. Or just something fun, I am not picky. Woodcutter could work too, if so it might be useful to have me in a civilian militia so I can put my axe to use if need be.

Oh, one thing that I noticed last time was that the map was getting quite crowded and wood quite sparse, I would recommend embarking on a larger map, since we are not digging down it should be fine.

We can vote on how big to make the map. I like the idea of making it thin in one dimension and following a river. It's easier on path finding without decreasing the actual number of squares. We can start working on how big the embark should be after we get a few more people dworfed for the original 7.

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 12:21:45 pm »

We should be sure to embark somewhere with clay.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 12:56:03 pm »

Monks often worked as scribes, we could make you a book keeper or manager. Woodcutters, miners, and hunters can't be in the military because when their jobs have their own uniforms. When you tell a woodcutter to follow a military order he'll throw down his axe and either go find his armor and a different axe to fight or just charge naked and unarmed into battle. When he's finished he'll strip off his armor and drop his fighting axe.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:29:04 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 01:33:14 pm »

Give me the first male Fisherdwarf you get, hand him an ax, then name him Fishybang, the Fishy Defender. Make sure he is in the military, however in off time he will fish.

Might take a turn later also
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:35:34 pm by Fishybang »
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:35:43 pm »

Okay, so how big should the embark be?
I think 3x5 would give us a robust embark and preserve pathfinding FPS

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 12:17:58 am »

From the diary of Pogey,

Time to take a closer look at this tome, “The Murderous Farm” as I've come to call it. Helmet looks to have added crude illustrations throughout it.

Okay, simple enough. If we're going to farm we'll need good soil.

Pretty intuitive, far from the gobbos we'll go.

Far from goblins, fertile soil, lots of wood.

And no elves.... So I need a forest exactly like an Elven retreat that the elves haven't settled. South I suppose. It'll be cold, damned cold.

Ergh, horse meat. Still, I cannot stray from the path laid out for me. Extra food may exhaust my purse of funds better spent on other goods.

Okay, so maybe sheep? Alpaca? This is not my field.

Bring cats, good to know.

I'm sure I can rustle up some dogs somewhere.

So rope reed, some kind of berry, maybe blade grass?

My instinct would have been to load up on medical supplies, but I suppose if anyone's badly injured we're more likely to need the carpenter than the doctor.

Stones, rope, cloth, tools. I can afford that.

Okay, so I should be able to build my final list of supplies now.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 02:09:15 am »

Take ores instead of rock boulders. Preferrable iron, if not - then copper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7