Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 968181 times)

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.33.0 | DF 42.02
« Reply #2310 on: December 18, 2015, 12:32:36 pm »

The layouts for windows and linux are literally 3 posts above yours.
What does that mean?

Short answer:

"Layouts" is short for "memory layouts". They are text files containing maps that help Dwarf Therapist read and write information from a running Dwarf Fortress program.

splinterz, the maintainer of this Dwarf Therapist branch, made a comment containing links to the 0.42.03 memory layouts.

Downloading the appropriate .ini file and placing it in your share/memory_layouts/windows folder will allow the most recent stable version of Dwarf Therapist to work with DF 0.42.03.

Long answer:

"Memory" refers to your computer's memory (fast short-term storage, as opposed to the hard drive, which is slower long-term storage).

Running programs (like Dwarf Fortress) store their information in memory

If you peek inside your Dwarf Therapist folder, you'll see a share folder, which contains a memory_layouts folder.

There will be one more folder in there, named according to your operating system (windows, osx, etc).

In that folder there will be a bunch of .ini files named like v0.42.02_graphics.ini

You can actually look inside those files, they're just plain text, and they contain stuff like this:

Code: [Select]
[info]
checksum=0x566c7776
version_name=v0.42.03 (graphics)
complete=true

[addresses]
cur_year_tick=0x0134a218
current_year=0x0137c374
dwarf_civ_index=0x01976030
dwarf_race_index=0x0197603c

Each of those lines with 0x is a number describing where in memory Dwarf Fortress stores that information.

The 0x is an industry-wide convention in programming and computer science to prefix a hexadecimal number.

(Hexadecimal is a base-16 number system, as opposed to decimal, the base-10 system that humans use. You can convert from hexadecimal to decimal by hand, or with an automatic converter.)

If Dwarf Therapist were a part of DF itself, these memory layout maps would be unnecessary, because programs keep track of their own data.

Every time Dwarf Fortress updates, the locations change, because they are determined by the computer according to the rules of the compiler that turned its source code into a proper executable program.

This means that, even if Dwarf Therapist's code and features themselves have not changed, it will no longer work with new versions of Dwarf Fortress, because its memory maps will be out of date.

However, because the Dwarf Therapist developers (not sure if splinterz did this or if it was the original dev) were thoughtful folks, the memory maps don't live in the code; they live in those external .ini files. (By "external" here, I mean external to the Dwarf Therapist executable file, eg. DwarfTherapist.exe on Windows).

All of this adds up to mean that you can usually get Dwarf Therapist running with newer versions of Dwarf Fortress by downloading the updated memory maps from its official source repository, even if a stable release has not been made yet.

Sorry if any of this was more basic than you needed; hopefully this explanation will be of use to others if so.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:36:17 pm by Tonren »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: December 18, 2015, 12:53:27 pm »

I didn't really need the explanation, but I just wanted to tell you I always like it when people take the time to craft well-written, simple explanation for either. You wins one internet cookie.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: December 18, 2015, 01:19:14 pm »

Thanks! It was fun to write, so no harm done :-)

wp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: December 18, 2015, 02:37:12 pm »

Thanks Tonren. really appreciate the explanation  :D

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #2314 on: December 18, 2015, 02:39:25 pm »

I think i've found a bug. Not 100% sure it's with therapist and not with dwarf fortress. What do you think?

• Find a dwarf who hasn't had any name or profession changes
  • Give them a nickname in dwarf fortress 'XXX'
  • Change the nickname in therapist 'YYY'
  • Clear the nickname using therapist
  • In game the dwarf will display no nickname or profession when viewed and the same in dwarf therapist BUT in announcements they will have the original nickname 'XXX'
  • To fix this you have to select dwarf in dwarf fortress and open up the give nickname screen then hit enter

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: December 18, 2015, 07:27:07 pm »

Eh.. I'm still having trouble making the .ini file. I'll just wait it out I guess. Sorry to be a bother, I know folks figure it's easy peasy.

First do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then do this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's it, assuming you're on Windows.

--nomad_delta

edit: the post I was replying to seems to have disappeared or something, or I'm going crazy.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:32:04 pm by nomad_delta »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: December 18, 2015, 07:45:57 pm »

edit: the post I was replying to seems to have disappeared or something, or I'm going crazy.

The gaslighting is real.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2317 on: December 18, 2015, 08:14:42 pm »

42_03 Therapist needs sorting methods. I can't sort by migrant waves at the moment DX
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2318 on: December 18, 2015, 08:22:38 pm »

42_03 Therapist needs sorting methods. I can't sort by migrant waves at the moment DX
I just grouped by migration wave and it seemed to work fine. Can you elaborate on the problem you're experiencing? Linux or windows?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2319 on: December 18, 2015, 08:49:16 pm »

Windows, and I can't find the drop-down box for the sorting. Right clicking the box in the top-left gives me the options to sort by age, ID and something else I cannot remember off the top of my head.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: December 19, 2015, 05:38:50 am »

@Insanegame27:
DT has been reorganized slightly recently, so the option you're looking for is in a new "Group By" drop down box in the middle of the top of the page, rather than a right click sorting option on top of the first column. If it's any consolation, I had to hunt a little to find it as well.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.33.0 | DF 42.03
« Reply #2321 on: December 19, 2015, 06:12:17 am »

[OSX]Dwarf Therapist 33.0 for 0.42.02-0.42.03

Dwarf Therapist 42.03 layout for manual install

Ragnos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: December 19, 2015, 02:51:06 pm »

I downloaded the v0.42.03_graphics file into my memory_layouts/windows folder, but I'm still getting the error that says, "I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress. Supported versions 0.42.02 and 0.42.01." Not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here ...

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: December 19, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »

I downloaded the v0.42.03_graphics file into my memory_layouts/windows folder, but I'm still getting the error that says, "I'm sorry but I don't know how to talk to this version of Dwarf Fortress. Supported versions 0.42.02 and 0.42.01." Not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong here ...
Check the file extension, it should be .ini. Windows is notorious for appending .txt extension to text files, making them appear as somefile.ini.txt, which might be the cause of your troubles.

SolPyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.33.0 | DF 42.03
« Reply #2324 on: December 19, 2015, 10:07:23 pm »

Quote from: Neil Gaiman
George R.R. Martin is not your b****.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 222