Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 976457 times)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.36.0 | DF 42.05
« Reply #2490 on: February 17, 2016, 05:24:21 pm »

Well, the thread subject says "Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.36.0 | DF 42.05". That kind of indicates that it works with 42.05, and thus might not work with 42.06.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:28 pm »

Okay the last words I'll waste on this before I drop the subject:

If I were developing this I'd put something in the OP for the newer players such as 'NOTE: This version is not compatible with the newest DF version number X, if you wish to use DT use DF version Y instead'

If you were a newbie following one of the tutorials which often tell you to use DT and you just downloaded the latest DF version in your ignorant bliss, carefully set up your first fort only to find out that DT doesn't work with it, that discourages this wonderful game.

But ok Ill drop it, good luck to the developer.

If you're a newbie, welcome! I recommend you consider the Lazy Newb Pack, which bundles the latest release of the game for which there are stable utilities, in with those utilities, and includes a convenient GUI launcher to let you set your options.

Well more exactly, I used to play this game years and years ago, then for some reason forgot about it (probably had too much !!FUN!! in a short amount of time), then came back with all of these completely new features.

I'll wait patiently for the new release of DT. I assume that the method desscribed farther back in this thread of copying DFs memory lay outs doesn't work for this version?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: February 17, 2016, 06:10:57 pm »

Now it depends on getting the memory layout from dfhack, which is why all the discussion about dfhack the last couple of pages. There's a link early in that discussion with instructions for how to discover the memory layout. I took a look at it, and it's non-trivial. I used to use the scan tool that was built into therapist with no problems, but the dfhack instructions do seem to assume a lot of knowledge about how things work in dfhack, which I don't have (they're written for dfhack devs, so that's not really a surprise). I could probably figure it out, but by the time I do, someone with more experience would already have it done.

Besides, I'm not really sure I'm all that anxious to jump to .06. It's got a new bug that makes people upset if you trade away their masterwork items. I'm not sure if that's sufficiently bad to cancel out the gains. I don't really care that much about being able to specify that a statue should depict 7 dwarves slaughtering 50,000 elves or whatever. The exported wealth fix is nice, since it would mean human caravans again, but if I can't trade away masterworks... dunno. I'm actually surviving just fine in my .05 forts with no human trade caravans. I guess the other fix that I'd care about is getting people to quit grabbing stuff made of materials they like. I've got a dwarf carrying around one of my iron minecarts that's *supposed* to be used for moving magma up from the basement. But I already built an extra minecart, so I can live without that fix.

I guess if you really want to be able to specify images and statues, then moving to .06 is kinda important. But other than that, I don't really see the urgency.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: February 17, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »

Is dt using the same memory layout as dfhack? I was under the impression that it used a few extra,  and a whole lot less.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: February 17, 2016, 07:03:41 pm »

I think (but I'm not certain) that DT derives its memory layout from dfhack, rather than attempt to work the entire thing out separately. It used to be that when a new release came out, you could use a scanner built into therapist to get the memory layout. Or at least, use it to get a start at getting the memory layout, assuming it hadn't changed too much. But it didn't always work well. So I'm assuming that Splinterz just got tired of duplicating the effort that was also being done for dfhack and decided to piggyback on their work. So now therapist isn't usable until someone gets the new memory layout for dfhack done, and then Splinterz does some extra work to convert it to what therapist needs. Presumably this work is far less than generating a layout from scratch. (Someone who actually know what goes on is more than welcome to chime in here)

This still results in therapist being usable with a new release far earlier that dfhack, because there is usually more to do with dfhack besides just identifying the new memory layout. All the dozens and dozens of dfhack scripts and plugins need to be checked out and fixed if necessary. And the dfhack devs seem pretty conservative about actually releasing new dfhack versions.

If you are willing to compile dfhack, you can get a version that works on a new version before they release an alpha (but you take your chances on it, because it is pre-alpha, which means possibly broken). You just have to monitor their git repo and see when they get their memory layout in. Or you could wait until a therapist release comes out, which would mean that dfhack's memory layout is in. :)

So far I don't think they've felt confident enough to do a real, non-alpha dfhack release since 42.XX came out. So therapist is way ahead in that aspect.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2495 on: February 17, 2016, 07:25:53 pm »

Sorry guys, there's really not much to report on. We go through this virtually every release of DF; people want DT immediately so you can play, but sometimes it takes longer than others.

It's fantastic so many of you use the tool and I realize without it things can be frustrating because you want to play the latest DF release but would like to play with DT. However, let's try to keep things civil; many of these posts aren't accomplishing anything but venting frustration.

In the past layouts contained far fewer offsets and it was very easy to scan for them and generate a new layout. With every additional feature and information added to DT more offsets are required. Since a memory mapping project was already in existence via dfhack (df-structures) it was logical to simply use scripts to export the required offsets for DT. These scripts can be run once the mapping is sufficiently complete for the offsets DT requires.

Although some updates like this one seem minor, structures can still change enough for manual work to be required to update df-structures so the automated scripts can be run. I'm still not that familiar with the manual alignment process, so I rely on people with more knowledge and experience than myself update df-structures and realign the memory mapping.

This is usually done with impressive efficiency, and if you haven't already, you should stop by the DFHack forum and thank them for all their hard work. This time around, things are taking longer than some of you think is necessary, but you'll have to have patience. As soon as layouts are ready, they'll be posted.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: February 17, 2016, 08:35:29 pm »

Using Virtualbox is fine, if your hardware is good enough. gcc, lisp tool and even visual studio will not notice that they are in virtualised environment.

A lot of things changed in structures. Hopefully figured out all critical changes. It will not blowup immediatly, but cant guarantee it will not corrupt save later. Make backups. Report if it happened.
Save it as Dwarf-Therapist-WIN-36.0.0/share/memory_layouts/windows/v0.42.06_graphics.ini:
Spoiler: v0.42.06 windows (click to show/hide)

In my case path was /usr/local/share/dwarftherapist/memory_layouts/linux/v042.06.ini
Spoiler: v0.42.06 linux (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:15:09 pm by sv-esk »

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: February 17, 2016, 09:32:16 pm »

Half the problem is its seen as a bit of a black art,  ive queried previously about doing it and was pretty much told that if you dont know how then its pointless trying.  How anyone learns with this sort of attitude is anyones guess.  I guess another problem is requiring linux,  im presuming that this is due to lack of tools for a windows environment.  But anyway.  Looks like sv-esk has saved the day.  Thankyou for that ;-)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: February 17, 2016, 09:38:34 pm »

Well, I put the new linux layout into place, copied my .05 save to the .06 directory and started DF up, then started DT. Looks good so far, but it's not what you'd call an extensive test.

For those not experienced with adding new memory layouts, you need to find where your copy of DT stores it's data files. There will be a directory called "memory_layouts", and under it one called either "linux" or "windows"(or maybe "Windows" - I can't check right now). Go into there and create a file named "v042.06.ini" and open it with a text editor (Windows will probably complain that it's not a text file because it doesn't end in .txt. Windows is an idiot. )

Now cut and paste the contents from the appropriate spoiler in sv-esk's post and save the file. Now fire up DF 42.06 and then fire up DT, and it should work. Well, you'll need to get to a point in DF where you have some dwarves, like loading a saved game or getting to the pre-embark screen.

Thanks for the layouts, sv-esk, and thanks for the explanation of how they depend on dfhack, Splinterz. It's about what I thought, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

SatelliteOfLove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:39 pm »

Well I'll be darned...khearn, thank you so much for that.  Looks like it works well enough for my purposes (to play a new fortress in 42.06 without over-thinking labor management while I build my "chronologically organized hall of heroes funded by a product-specific industry").  Thank you, and thanks to everyone who makes this possible - you are an incredible, jaw-droppingly devoted community.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: February 17, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »

Don't thank me, thank sv-esk and Splinterz. They're the ones who did all the work. I just gave some simple directions.

Simple, directions, which don't seem to be quite right for Windows, BTW. Now that I'm at home with my windows computer, I see that the filename is different than I thought. On windows you want the filename to be v0.42.06_graphics.ini, and it will be under <your DT directory>\share\memory_layouts\windows

Bradders

• Bay Watcher
  • A creature fond of drink, incense and industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: February 18, 2016, 02:15:23 am »

Can report that sv-esk's windows file hasn't broken anything yet!  Thank you good my good dorfs!

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: February 18, 2016, 02:34:46 am »

Noticed 8 new job types in the job_type enum:
232 Make Figurine
233 Make Amulet
234 Make Scepter
235 Make Crown
236 Make Ring
237 Make Earring
238 Make Bracelet
239 Make Large Gem
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 02:51:57 am by sv-esk »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2503 on: February 18, 2016, 06:34:38 am »

Using Virtualbox is fine, if your hardware is good enough. gcc, lisp tool and even visual studio will not notice that they are in virtualised environment.

A lot of things changed in structures. Hopefully figured out all critical changes. It will not blowup immediatly, but cant guarantee it will not corrupt save later. Make backups. Report if it happened.
Save it as Dwarf-Therapist-WIN-36.0.0/share/memory_layouts/windows/v0.42.06_graphics.ini:
Spoiler: v0.42.06 windows (click to show/hide)

In my case path was /usr/local/share/dwarftherapist/memory_layouts/linux/v042.06.ini
Spoiler: v0.42.06 linux (click to show/hide)

Whew, after looking at your repo, that's a lot more structure changes than I'd found in the limited time I had to poke around! Thanks for working on it! I'll see about getting those new jobs in and do some more testing for explosions.

Couchmonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: February 18, 2016, 09:56:45 am »

splinterz let me/us help!
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 222