Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 967768 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #2670 on: June 26, 2016, 08:03:57 pm »

I'm considering moving the current version to a 'QT4' branch, stopping support for it, and cleaning up the current branch to remove all the ugly checks for QT4. However, I don't know how many people would be affected by this (ie. how many linux distros do not have QT5?).

Can't imagine there will be any problems - maybe one or two edge cases but 3+ years means a distro would be pretty much unsupported by now.  And users can always build Qt5 themselves if affected.  (Note: lower level user shooting from the hip.)

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: June 27, 2016, 02:39:50 pm »

LNP does look for newer versions of LNP if that's enabled. If you want to assemble your tools yourself, rather than using PeridexisErrant's services, checks on the tool level would be useful. However, if you have a poor connection/low bandwidth/high price for bandwidth used, you probably don't want tools to try to use that connection for constant checks.
I'm not opposed to a smörgåsbord approach where you select which parts of the LNP you want to download, but that would be additional work for PeridexisErrant to firstly implement, and then to maintain. That approach would probably also lead to additional support requests, as people start to mix old versions of tools with newer versions of other tools and DF in an effort to save on bandwidth, but without enough knowledge to actually get compatible combinations every time.

Bandwith should not be a problem today.

If people think Dwarf Fortress packs are "large downloads", maybe they should learn how to handle 7-zip instead.
Masterwork uses .RAR because Meph gets to many support requests for how to unzip a .7z when it was in 7-zip format. For masterwork that saves about 30MB on each download.
The savings is about the same for "PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack". About 30MB. That makes the starterpack a 110MB download without counting the extra 360MB you need if you want to use  Soundsense.
Bandwidth is a problem for some people. I would say that starter packs tend to be pretty large, at least when it comes to download size. PE's pack has grown to almost 140 MB, which is over 10 times larger than a DF download. It's understandable that people with slow or expensive connections would want a preconfigured option that isn't this large, especially if they don't use all of the utilities that are bundled in.

Well then, if it's a problem ask PeridexisErrant to have a 7-zip version of the pack, that saves 30MB of the bat. That's probably something PE can do without too much trouble.
But asking him to solve a problem that we have no data on how many it's an issue for?

The only thing I can see as redundant in the pack is that there are three different Legend Viewers for a total of 15MB.
Other big things are Amrok Vision and ISO World (70MB)
Other than that, graphics are 50-60MB. But graphics is what most people expect to get with the Pack, so throwing that out seems rather stupid.

If you throw out Amrok Vision and ISO World plus all but one legends viewer you can get the pack down to 80MB (7zip) or 100MB (zip on ultra). That's still 8-10 times the original download size, but I don't know how you can expect to get all the graphics and bells and whistles without it.

If people are having issues with bandwidth, there is nothing stopping them from downloading each part by them selves and putting it together, or for someone here
to provide such a pack. But don't put that on PE.

(Maybe this discussion should be it's own thread).

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: June 27, 2016, 03:24:45 pm »

I would love to see the Starter Packs set up to have a list of utilities, and you click on the ones you want to download.  That's more a PyLNP suggestion, though, rather than something for this particular pack.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: June 27, 2016, 04:36:48 pm »

Sorry for derailing the thread. Here's a place to discuss ideas for Lazy Newb Packs. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=159071.new#new

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: June 28, 2016, 06:30:19 pm »

is there an ETA on an update to the new version of DF?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2675 on: June 28, 2016, 06:50:33 pm »

The newest version of Dwarf Foress (v0.43.04) is a lot different from previous versions (with the new compiler and the additional 32 bits), so mapping it for Dwarf Therapist will take longer than normal. If you need Dwarf Therapist to play Dwarf Fortress, you might consider playing with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03 instead of waiting for new memory maps for Dwarf Therapist.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2676 on: June 28, 2016, 07:12:58 pm »

The newest version of Dwarf Foress (v0.43.04) is a lot different from previous versions (with the new compiler and the additional 32 bits), so mapping it for Dwarf Therapist will take longer than normal. If you need Dwarf Therapist to play Dwarf Fortress, you might consider playing with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.03 instead of waiting for new memory maps for Dwarf Therapist.

Nah I don't need it. I was just wondering.

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2677 on: June 29, 2016, 07:18:07 am »

Wait, there is a version of this utility for 0.43.03? I can't seem to find it, only for 42.03-42.06.

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2678 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:22 am »

Wait, there is a version of this utility for 0.43.03? I can't seem to find it, only for 42.03-42.06.
Take the relevant mapping and add it to your /share/... folder:
https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2679 on: June 29, 2016, 09:28:13 am »

Take the relevant mapping and add it to your /share/... folder:
https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts

Thank you ever so kindly.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2680 on: July 05, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »

Question: Is there any way to use this in arena mode?

If not, would it be possible to add that functionality, or is it fundamentally incompatible?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2681 on: July 12, 2016, 01:43:04 pm »

Is there any chances to get memory for 43.05?
Finis sanctificat media.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2682 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:06 pm »

Is there any chances to get memory for 43.05?
When one becomes available, the answer is most probably yes. With normal luck probably within 2 months, longer with bad luck, and faster with good luck. The new compiler has resulted in a lot of things being shifted around, so discovering the memory locations used requires more work than it does usually.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2683 on: July 13, 2016, 06:56:54 am »

Question: Is there any way to use this in arena mode?

If not, would it be possible to add that functionality, or is it fundamentally incompatible?

It's possible; there was actually a debug flag I'd used for a while to test reading wounds in arena mode. I'll have to test it out again and see.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2684 on: July 13, 2016, 07:21:34 am »

Question. How is the process of getting the memory locations? And how can one help?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 [179] 180 181 ... 222