Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 967906 times)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #2730 on: August 26, 2016, 09:42:32 pm »

Also, hopefully you haven't saved if you used a DF version newer than 0.43.03, because saves can't be backported (although they can easily be transferred between different builds of the same DF version).
That's interesting.

If I transfer my save file from DF v0.43.01 to DF v0.43.03, will Dwarf Therapist be able to interpret it? (Note that there are no memory layouts for DF v0.43.01.)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: August 26, 2016, 09:54:11 pm »

Of course it will. The only thing DT cares about is the version of DF it is reading data from. It has no idea what other DF versions a save has been used in, nor does it care. (It is possible to obtain that information through DFHack, though.)

I can only really think of two scenarios where reading from a formerly-0.43.01 save in 0.43.03 wouldn't work (both hypothetical - I can't recall specific instances of these happening before):

1. DT is buggy (e.g. some part of the memory map and/or part of the layout DT expects is incorrect). In this case, I would expect DT to behave incorrectly or crash with any save in 0.43.03, regardless of when it was created.
2. DF's save-upgrading code is buggy to the point where it will fail with saves you try to load from previous versions. This could result in DF crashing, behaving strangely, and/or corrupting the save in question.

Basically, unless Toady breaks save compatibility, you can usually load saves from older versions into newer versions without any issues. Sometimes, new features in the newer version will only work in saves created in the newer version (or later), but that's not as common.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:56:29 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: August 27, 2016, 09:54:21 am »

Off topic but can't help but add that DF is pretty amazing with save compatibilily over the last couple of years.  Just loaded a windows 40.13 save into a linux 43.03 version and the fortess displayed perfectly.  (Didn't unpause and I'm sure many of the newer features would be missing, but still, wow!)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: August 30, 2016, 02:19:56 pm »

Apologies for double post but back on topic-

When creating a custom role and opening up the preferences category 'General Items' I find 'N/A' listed between 'Millstones' and 'Querns'.  Therapist 37.0, Fortress 43.03.  Something amiss?

Quick edit: I am also unable to find Wordsmithing in the skills list.  Is it missing or perhaps listed under another name I haven't found?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 02:29:16 pm by feelotraveller »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: September 11, 2016, 07:10:39 pm »

Preferences for the types of paper are being assigned by the cloth category.  Needless to say Clothiers and Weavers do not make use of paper in those jobs; Papermakers and Bookbinders do but they do not use cloth (although thread is used).

Just leaving it here while it is on my mind/before I forget.  Don't know how to edit the appropriate files in DT.  :-[

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: September 12, 2016, 04:59:00 am »

Quick question: Would this version of DT be compatible be with 0.43.05? If not, will it be compatible sometime in the future?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: September 12, 2016, 05:16:29 am »

Quick question: Would this version of DT be compatible be with 0.43.05?
Dwarf Therapist is not compatible with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05. The latest version it works with is v0.43.03.

If not, will it be compatible sometime in the future?
Yes, once there's a working prototype of DFHack for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05, then Dwarf Therapist can be updated to work with it.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: September 12, 2016, 06:30:55 am »

Quick question: Would this version of DT be compatible be with 0.43.05?
Dwarf Therapist is not compatible with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05. The latest version it works with is v0.43.03.

If not, will it be compatible sometime in the future?
Yes, once there's a working prototype of DFHack for Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05, then Dwarf Therapist can be updated to work with it.

Wonderful! I shall be waiting until then before I dive back into DF.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: September 12, 2016, 07:46:01 am »

Due to the compiler change in Dwarf Fortress v0.43.04, updating DFHack is going to take much longer than normal. I think what they are having to do is almost like getting DFHack to work with a new game. If you wait for Dwarf Therapist to update, you could be waiting a month or more.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: September 12, 2016, 09:56:59 am »

Is it possible someone could release the bug fixes from 43.04 and 43.05, but do it using a 43.03 or previous/old DF architecture,
 so that it works with Dwarf Therapist?
I'm mainly thinking of the issue where masterworks sold to caravans or whatever cause stress like they've been destroyed....
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: September 12, 2016, 03:10:16 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you asking for a version of "0.43.03" that contains all of the 0.43.04-05 bugfixes? If you are, that already exists - it's 0.43.05. Making a new build of 0.43.03 that contains all of those bugfixes is something that's impossible for anyone but Toady to do, and he wouldn't do that because it would essentially involve reverting a few changes in 0.43.04-05 that weren't bugfixes. Also, even if he did that, the resulting executables would be just as different from the existing 0.43.03 build as 0.43.02, 0.43.01, 0.42.06, etc., so utilities that work with 0.43.03 wouldn't magically work with it.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Chaosegg

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch what is done more than what is said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:35 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you mean. Are you asking for a version of "0.43.03" that contains all of the 0.43.04-05 bugfixes? If you are, that already exists - it's 0.43.05. Making a new build of 0.43.03 that contains all of those bugfixes is something that's impossible for anyone but Toady to do, and he wouldn't do that because it would essentially involve reverting a few changes in 0.43.04-05 that weren't bugfixes. Also, even if he did that, the resulting executables would be just as different from the existing 0.43.03 build as 0.43.02, 0.43.01, 0.42.06, etc., so utilities that work with 0.43.03 wouldn't magically work with it.
Yeah... I freely admit that I do not fully understand what all it is I am asking for, and I'm sure my entitled/priviledge needs to be checked here, just for asking this type of question,
but,
I'm actually not naive enough to ask for a magical world where I have all my cake and eat it too,
I was just hoping that some of the bugs (the masterwork stress bug from pre-43.03) might be easy to fix
 without doing such an extensive overhaul as 43.04 and 43.05 did.
And that might allow us to play with Dwarf Therapist in a version with one less, seemingly major, bug....

Maybe it is just me, but that one bug sort of sticks out like a sore thumb to a "causal layman player" like myself.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 07:34:27 pm by Chaosegg »
***Likes 'green' airships for their efficiency.***
Creative seeking other creative TTRPGers to join, or join me, for  immersive, fun, creative, team-crafted stories. Setting flexible; mostly sci-fi &/or fantasy (I know SW, MiddleEarth, DnD, & ST best, but Ulisses Spiele & Cypher System high on list too. There are a few other niche sys. like DCC, a homebrew 3.5 or Pathfndr I/II; But at this point I'd even DM or play a well-run 5e game. Let the ideas flow, and never forget the 4 pillars of an RPG!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: September 13, 2016, 10:42:32 pm »

I mean, in theory just patching that would be possible, but it would probably still only be possible for Toady to do. And if he did do that, the memory layout of the new build would most likely be different from 0.43.03, and the executable would definitely be different (and thus have a different timestamp and hash), so utilities would need to be updated for it.

I do wish Toady had split the bugfixes/features and compiler changes into different releases, though. Also, I realize that the way utilities work can be confusing, so sorry if I went too far there, and let me know if I can clarify anything.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: September 15, 2016, 05:51:21 pm »

I'm trying to get back in to Dwarf Fortress and really learn how to play it this time, but I'm having trouble with the Mac version of DT. Every time I load it up, there isn't any text on the main interface, and a lot of the text in the preferences menu is missing, too. It does this regardless of whether DF is running or not. I'm on OS 10.11, El Capitan.

Probe1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: September 18, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »

is splintermind on haitus, gone, or quietly toiling away?  No updates to github since July 19th, no posts in this thread since August..

This is the one utility I need above all else!
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 222