Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 968387 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #2775 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:32 pm »

Okay, what I should have said is that DFHack and DT depend on the same memory research, but also on people to do whatever work on DFHack/DT is necessary to make them work. Usually, DT requires less work than DFHack because it has a narrower scope, but in this case, it (and DFHack) have to be updated to work with 64-bit DF (not to mention the new compilers on Windows/Linux). The separate work, besides memory research, is farther along with DFHack than with DT, but those are two separate processes, and the progress on one at this point has little effect on progress on the other.

Is it still possible to use Dwarf Therapist at all with the current versions? I'd hate to go back to the old way of managing labor; actually managing it from an individual unit lmao

To my understanding you cannot use Therapist with the most recent versions (hence the old version number in the title) due to a requirement for DFHack to be usable. There's been some progress recently but DFHack isn't quite there yet.
By the way, the version number in the title corresponds to the last DF version supported out-of-the-box by DT. Basically, DT 37 contains memory layouts for 0.42.06. However, it will still work with 0.43.03, given memory layouts (which are available), since internal DT changes weren't required between 0.42.06 and 0.43.03.

:-[ I don't quite understand what memory layouts are, or how to go about doing that lol :/
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 28, 2016, 08:32:10 pm »

Memory layouts are files that tell Dwarf Therapist how to talk to a particular version of Dwarf Fortress.

There are instructions for updating them here: 
https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 28, 2016, 09:47:25 pm »

Memory layouts are files that tell Dwarf Therapist how to talk to a particular version of Dwarf Fortress.

There are instructions for updating them here: 
https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/tree/DF2016/share/memory_layouts

It crashes when using it with 43.05. Is that what you meant about them updating DFHack/it being easier to make memory maps? So now that DFHack is updated there will probably be a memory map for 43.05 sometime in the near future?
"zzz"

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 29, 2016, 02:08:18 am »

Sorry, those were instruction for installing the latest memory layouts into Dwarf Therapist. It would probably be kind of hard for you to get Dwarf Therapist working with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 at this point, especially if you are wanting to use the 64-bit version of the game.

I think you would need to compile a 32-bit version of the dev version of DFHack, then find and run the DT-memory-layout scripts (I'm not sure where they are). I'm guessing the scripts would give you some data that would need to be copy-pasted into the memory layout. Then you would need to install that updated memory layouts into Dwarf Therapist. That might give you partial Dwarf Therapist support in the 32-bit version of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05. I think there's still stuff left to be mapped to get full support. Also the layout-mapping scripts might need some updating too.

I'm not trying to be mean, but unless you're a hacker or programmer, you might be better off waiting for someone else to get something working. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think people can really help map the memory unless they kind of already know what they're doing. I think they would appreciate any help, but I'm guessing it's not really worth their effort to train non-hackers to map the Dwarf Fortress memory.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 29, 2016, 09:04:31 pm »

Sorry, those were instruction for installing the latest memory layouts into Dwarf Therapist. It would probably be kind of hard for you to get Dwarf Therapist working with Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05 at this point, especially if you are wanting to use the 64-bit version of the game.

I think you would need to compile a 32-bit version of the dev version of DFHack, then find and run the DT-memory-layout scripts (I'm not sure where they are). I'm guessing the scripts would give you some data that would need to be copy-pasted into the memory layout. Then you would need to install that updated memory layouts into Dwarf Therapist. That might give you partial Dwarf Therapist support in the 32-bit version of Dwarf Fortress v0.43.05. I think there's still stuff left to be mapped to get full support. Also the layout-mapping scripts might need some updating too.

I'm not trying to be mean, but unless you're a hacker or programmer, you might be better off waiting for someone else to get something working. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think people can really help map the memory unless they kind of already know what they're doing. I think they would appreciate any help, but I'm guessing it's not really worth their effort to train non-hackers to map the Dwarf Fortress memory.

Oh yeah  :P I wouldn't even attempt something like that, I have next to no coding/programming etc ability.
"zzz"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2780 on: September 29, 2016, 10:30:35 pm »

Mainly out of curiosity, I used DFHack for 0.43.05-win32 to generate a therapist.ini file, but Therapist 0.37.0 doesn't seem to like it, complaining that Dwarf Fortress was not running. Given that vectors and strings should look the same as they did before (they both shrunk by 4 bytes, but they shrunk from the end rather than the beginning or middle), I can only assume that there is something else that's looking for (and failing to find) the Visual C++ 2010 runtime.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 29, 2016, 10:58:45 pm »

I can only assume that there is something else that's looking for (and failing to find) the Visual C++ 2010 runtime.

Does this mean that Dwarf Therapist hates the new Dwarf Fortress compiler?

g2knee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 30, 2016, 09:58:48 am »

I'm an idiot and didn't even realize there was a 32 bit version of DF 43.05.  I thought it was all going to 64 now.

I hope we get at least the 32 bit version of DT out!

I can't program or anything like that, but I can send cookies.  If sending cookies will help, please let me know.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: October 01, 2016, 02:38:26 am »

Somebody tell me are the saves compatible between 40.24 and 43.03?
Finis sanctificat media.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: October 01, 2016, 02:43:32 am »

Yes, everything from v0.40.04 to v0.43.05 is compatible.
Source: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Release_information

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: October 01, 2016, 02:49:52 am »

Oh, that's great! Then i can play in 43.05 and assign dorfs in 40.24 ;-))
Finis sanctificat media.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: October 01, 2016, 03:25:51 am »

Oh, that's great! Then i can play in 43.05 and assign dorfs in 40.24 ;-))

Saves are almost never backwards-compatible--it's game versions that are. You can transfer a save from 0.40.24 to 0.43.05, but not the other way around.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: October 01, 2016, 04:31:23 am »

The thing i forget of.
Oh. Fck.
Finis sanctificat media.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: October 02, 2016, 04:18:19 pm »

The thing i forget of.
Oh. Fck.

Yeah lmao I just had the same thought then realized that wouldn't work bc backwards compatability
"zzz"

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: October 03, 2016, 12:47:09 am »

What's the latest memory layouts for therapist? 43.03 or 43.04?
Finis sanctificat media.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 222