Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 968514 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #3105 on: June 15, 2017, 03:43:47 pm »

Posting to watch in anticipation of a working 64 bit version. (I can't play DF without this anymore)
I'm using DFHack's labor manager. It's not DT, but it's close. Perhaps consider using that?

I'm currently using a working x64 version with 43.05, could post it to dropbox if you want

You're killing me here. Post it already! I need my Therapist!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: June 15, 2017, 04:03:09 pm »

Ahha! It works!. Now, generous and noble champion of dwarves, whose attributes, both physical and mental, are superior to those of other, lesser man - do you know why this works? Is it just a nice new layout and all's good?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: June 15, 2017, 04:43:09 pm »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/whn14i4fggudgq9/AAB6f18_tMtfpAO5CUPLGme7a?dl=0
Where did you get this from, or did you build it yourself?

Ahha! It works!. Now, generous and noble champion of dwarves, whose attributes, both physical and mental, are superior to those of other, lesser man - do you know why this works? Is it just a nice new layout and all's good?
It's more than just the layout - DT has to be updated for it work with 64-bit DF at all, and various people have done various things to get it to work (somewhat, depending on what Windows version you're using and what day it is).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 04:49:12 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Angry_Bucket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: June 17, 2017, 08:53:01 pm »

Okay I'm confused by DT every time I even consider looking at it, again... I'm not even sure where I got the current version I have... So who is really maintaining the code for this now and where can I get the most recent version of DT for DF x64 43.05.... confusion ensues when I read the posts here.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #3111 on: June 18, 2017, 04:38:20 am »

Okay I'm confused by DT every time I even consider looking at it, again... I'm not even sure where I got the current version I have... So who is really maintaining the code for this now and where can I get the most recent version of DT for DF x64 43.05.... confusion ensues when I read the posts here.
As far as I know, right now nobody is really maintaining DT. For the most recent version, I think you can found it in this post (maybe there is newer one but I'm not sure) or this post (but I don't know if it's working).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:47:06 am by Sorg »
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: June 18, 2017, 04:54:53 am »

As far as I can tell there are a few experimental versions but nobody is maintaining a 64-bit Therapist yet.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

andrew.j.smart1988

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: June 19, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »

where can I get the most recent version of DT for DF x64 43.05.... confusion ensues when I read the posts here.

As far as I can tell there are a few experimental versions but nobody is maintaining a 64-bit Therapist yet.

On x64 linux DF 43.05 I've had the best luck with DanFritz's fork, due to a "participants" assertion failure he appears to have fixed: https://github.com/DanFritz/Dwarf-Therapist/commit/ea784aa347c618ce5ef21485f72c7995db6ea9bc
Ok on x64 linux DF 43.05 Hello71's fork looks best: https://github.com/Hello71/Dwarf-Therapist

If you want the most recent version suitable for you, just look at the github's fork interface, and browse the recent forks. Realize they may just be fixing own their problems, e.g. x64 linux, not mac os: https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/network Nobody appears to have a 43.05 x64 macos memory layout yet, you'd need to use an older DF in that case.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:46:21 am by andrew.j.smart1988 »

Hello71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: June 19, 2017, 07:37:28 pm »

splinterz's binaries should work with latest 32-bit DF, as long as you put in a suitable INI (I dunno where from).

for 64-bit DF, there are at least two lines:

splinterz's x64 branch. dunno how well it works if at all.
my fork, independently 64-ified. I didn't add any memory layouts, you will need to get one from lethosor or make one yourself using dfhack. (I don't know how; ask lethosor) mostly works on Linux, apparently doesn't work on Windows. might work on Mac if you make a memory layout with dfhack.

I don't know which PleaseBugMeNot's is derived from. I am not particularly interested in working on DT at this point (mainly because DF is closed source, but good luck convincing toady to open it), but I would be willing to answer questions about DT internals and review (and possibly pull in) patches in #dwarftherapist on freenode.

Hello71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: June 19, 2017, 10:23:44 pm »

where can I get the most recent version of DT for DF x64 43.05.... confusion ensues when I read the posts here.

On x64 linux DF 43.05 I've had the best luck with DanFritz's fork, due to a "participants" assertion failure he appears to have fixed: https://github.com/DanFritz/Dwarf-Therapist/commit/ea784aa347c618ce5ef21485f72c7995db6ea9bc

If you want the most recent version suitable for you, just look at the github's fork interface, and browse the recent forks. Realize they may just be fixing own their problems, e.g. x64 linux, not mac os: https://github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/network Nobody appears to have a 43.05 x64 macos memory layout yet, you'd need to use an older DF in that case.

fwiw I fixed that better (probably) ages ago.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: June 19, 2017, 10:49:44 pm »

Seems like the wrong way to fix that to me, unless there's some meaning to 0x10 that I'm missing. Does Hello71's fork work?
It's really easy to generate memory layouts using "devel/export-dt-ini" in DFHack. I have two for both OS X 0.43.05 builds sitting around in my main DF folders. I'm pretty sure I uploaded them a while ago, but I couldn't easily find them, so here they are.

Note that this obviously requires a DT that works with 64-bit DF, which is... hard to come by.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

andrew.j.smart1988

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: June 20, 2017, 01:39:21 am »

Seems like the wrong way to fix that to me, unless there's some meaning to 0x10 that I'm missing. Does Hello71's fork work?
Ok I tried Hello71's fork now, it works great! Looks like he did more x64 stuff. When I had initially glanced at Hello71's fork on github I didn't see any change there so I assumed only DanFritz's fork had fixed the error I had gotten.

I am not particularly interested in working on DT at this point (mainly because DF is closed source, but good luck convincing toady to open it), but I would be willing to answer questions about DT internals and review (and possibly pull in) patches in #dwarftherapist on freenode.
I know what you mean, but it's probably best DF stays closed source. Far too often on open-source projects I'd get livid non-grateful developers blaming me for their workplace problems... their fault for using a free opensource utility/library in beta stage for their $$$ product in their workplace, then they have the nerve to blame me for their failure to meet deadlines and demand I immediately fix edge-case bugs which show up when it is integrated into *their*, not *my* systems for free!? I was idealistic before then, but I'm permanently turned off after those incredibly disrespectful experiences.

In Toady's case he'd probably just get a bunch of ripoff clones made by developers asking $10-20 on Steam for their rudimentary artwork/theme/style changes. It's happened with other open-sourced games, even when only a fraction of the codebase/art was open-sourced.

I would hope he has made plans for who has stewardship of the game when he passes on.

Also regarding the DT fork, the const function parameters in the DT code are best const for maintainability, as they both make the code clearer and make future accidental logic errors involving those parameters become compiler errors. It is good practice.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:47:20 am by andrew.j.smart1988 »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: June 20, 2017, 08:42:59 am »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/whn14i4fggudgq9/AAB6f18_tMtfpAO5CUPLGme7a?dl=0
You appear to have removed this file, which really doesn't help people looking for DT.

For anyone looking for it, here's a link to PleaseBugMeNot's most recent Windows build:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.msg7392774#msg7392774 (Windows)
It could very well be the same one that mross posted, though.

Hello71

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: June 20, 2017, 11:44:32 am »

I am not particularly interested in working on DT at this point (mainly because DF is closed source, but good luck convincing toady to open it), but I would be willing to answer questions about DT internals and review (and possibly pull in) patches in #dwarftherapist on freenode.
I know what you mean, but it's probably best DF stays closed source. Far too often on open-source projects I'd get livid non-grateful developers blaming me for their workplace problems... their fault for using a free opensource utility/library in beta stage for their $$$ product in their workplace, then they have the nerve to blame me for their failure to meet deadlines and demand I immediately fix edge-case bugs which show up when it is integrated into *their*, not *my* systems for free!? I was idealistic before then, but I'm permanently turned off after those incredibly disrespectful experiences.

In Toady's case he'd probably just get a bunch of ripoff clones made by developers asking $10-20 on Steam for their rudimentary artwork/theme/style changes. It's happened with other open-sourced games, even when only a fraction of the codebase/art was open-sourced.

there are some good arguments for not opening source, but this isn't one of them. graphics packs already exist, and libgraphics is already "open", so poor-quality derivatives can already be made. the way to block this is with skillful licensing, not wholesale blocking. this isn't the place for such arguments though, topic is already 200+ pages.

I would hope he has made plans for who has stewardship of the game when he passes on.

maybe.

Also regarding the DT fork, the const function parameters in the DT code are best const for maintainability, as they both make the code clearer and make future accidental logic errors involving those parameters become compiler errors. It is good practice.

I disagree, there are legitimate reasons to modify value function parameters, and certainly "const int&" for a parameter that is kept local is at best make-work for the compiler (and human reader).
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 222