Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 967964 times)

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #3270 on: November 01, 2017, 01:36:06 pm »

Drag and drop freeze is Qt 5.9.2 bug, it should be fixed in Qt 5.9.3.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: November 06, 2017, 05:49:34 am »

Does anyone know why there is a special case for dwarves who already had a mood when generating skill/labor tool-tips? What I see is it replaces "No experience" with strings like "NO EXP Miner" or nothing for labor without skill (e.g. Hauling). I cannot understand the reason for that.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: November 06, 2017, 05:55:32 am »

Does anyone know why there is a special case for dwarves who already had a mood when generating skill/labor tool-tips? What I see is it replaces "No experience" with strings like "NO EXP Miner" or nothing for labor without skill (e.g. Hauling). I cannot understand the reason for that.
A pure guess is that it's intended to help those who want to train dorfs in moodable skills in preparation for a mood to skip those that are beyond rescue (as they made a glumprong ring as a child already). There's no evidence behind that guess, though (and I don't do mood preparation either).

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: November 06, 2017, 06:05:42 am »

The string for the moodable (or mooded) skill is created somewhere else.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: November 07, 2017, 03:59:00 am »

I wonder if it is to cover the case where a dwarf is mooding right now. Should have scrolled further.

Could it have to do with cases where Children have mooded?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 04:18:54 am by feelotraveller »

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: November 07, 2017, 05:48:02 am »

Looking at git history I think it just something splinterz forgot to clean up when moving code and get_skill_name cannot give a name with an invalid skill id anyway.

Skill name changes requested by feelotraveller is done in this pull request. It may have changed too much names, the list of changes are in the pull request description. You can comment here too. Skill names are words like "Mining" while nouns are like "Miner", not to be confused with labor names ("Mining") that are unchanged.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: November 07, 2017, 06:21:08 am »

I was more thinking of the case where 'rating > -1" is not true (no familiarity with the code to see how/if this could arise) and then thinking of edge cases in df which might match.  But you are probably right.  (It could also be 'legacy' code intended to cope with mods, e.g. Masterwork.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 06:22:59 am by feelotraveller »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: November 08, 2017, 08:14:39 am »

First up - some feedback.
-  'Uniform equipment skill' is shield user and armour user.  Did not notice anything wrong here. 
- Yes I think the demonstration activity would better use 'name' rather than 'noun' if that can be changed independently.  (I did not locate an instance of this to check though.)
More generally I like all the changes - no surprise there  :)) - but particularly the one you raised above.  It all looks good, to me.

Going through a detailed comparison brought four more suggestions for changes. I'm tempted to try and do a couple of the simpler ones myself but every time I peek at the code it scares the bejesus out of me.  Feel free to point out the simplest ones for me (keeping in mind the profound ignorance out here in userland :P).  The long final one is definitely not for me, though it could be interesting for someone who was keen to write a new section of code.  ;)

1) Reduce the 'spacer' sizes on the dwarf tooltips.  Can easily see 2-3 lines could be saved and maybe 5-6.  Space is a premium here as looking at a save from an older fort confirmed -thanks, Fleeting Frames.  ;)  (No doubt having lots of social skills brought it home.)  Don't want it to look ugly but where there are already indented sections perhaps there is no need for an empty line before or after them.  Or if there is maybe a smaller font size can be used just for those lines?  Concretely I think an empty line could go from above and below the Preference section and above the Skills section.  Probably also above Caste, and possibly below end of Top Roles list.  In places where empty lines remain can they be small font size?  But it must still look okay.  8)

2) Another suggestion is to replace on the dwarf tooltip the 'Highest moodable skill' line with the name of the artifact created for dwarfs who have already mooded.  It would both save one line in the tooltip, in these cases, and allow for seeing that that dwarf is no longer a candidate for a mood.   So move the line 'Creator of <artifact_name>' to overwrite the highest moodable skill in the tooltip when <artifact_name> is not null.

3) Probably by far the easiest (and that I should learn for future reference anyway) but worth getting some feedback in case I am missing something - remove the Social-alt gridview from the default set.  As far as I can tell Social and Cultural now nicely covers the skill parts and the rest is no longer relevant, most traits having changed years ago and additionally having out of date references.

4) Okay now for the big one. This departs from the comment in the pull change - trait "Can(not) be a %2".  I remember this from before (the old Social gridview if memory is correct) but I was unable to see/find it with either 38.1 or the skill_names test build.  I had dwarfs with relevant trait scores (see below) and checked both Social & Cultural and Social-Alt gridviews without finding it.  I suspect that it is not 'attached' to any gridview (or have I just missed it?).  It was a useful piece of information to have and would integrate well with the Social and Cultural grid view.  Unfortunately we do not have comprehensive information about the current conditions for 'can(not) be a x'. The best I know of is http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014_Talk:Personality_trait which while in general correct* is far from complete.  (Flatterer is no longer blocked by friendliness level.) Summary of link with my corrections:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(My suspicion [aka strong hypothesis] is that in addition to the trait requirements beliefs can also at times block acquistion of social skills.) Further I suspect that splinterz never updated the conditions after the changes to traits and perhaps disabled the function (vague memory of some comment way back when about disabling them, but I could be wrong)?  Assuming that I am correct we could leave it disabled or alternatively we could use the partial information as adapted above to provide what we can (until someone provides better).  Another option would perhaps be to only show cases where a dwarf cannot acquire a skill, since that should never be incorrect information.  What do you think?  I tell you what I think below...

But wait it gets bigger (feature creep on an unimplemented feature, go userland!) furthermore I believe that having a gridview displaying beliefs would be useful.  Another case which springs to mind is scholars - 'Views the pursuit of knowledge as deeply important' sounds like a good thing for them and the reverse not so much.  As a minimum if we had this new gridview we could start to more easily inquire into effects like these, or alternatively presume that they exist and act in accordance.  Currently (only?) the more extreme cases of beliefs are mentioned in the dwarf toolip (not elsewhere, unless again I am missing it).  Of course this would lead (creeping on the creep) to the additional desire to include the possibility of specifying beliefs as criteria for roles... :P 

And yes I am totally serious.  This is how features like the roles got added and developed into the useful tools that they are today - everlasting thanks to splinterz.  But not all at once.  Step one - add traits back in for 'cannot be a x' purposes.  (Yes, I think this should only be displayed where the conditions block possible skill acquistion: we are on more solid ground and it allows the user to raise the question of why dwarf might still not be getting the skill even when it does not say that they are blocked.)  Step two - create a gridview for beliefs and populate with dwarf data.  (Bonus if someone, in userland, uses the new functionality to supply the missing conditions for social skill acquistion/blocking.)  Step three - enable the use of beliefs as input when defining/calculating roles.

Thoughts any/every-one?

* For the sake of completeness I should add that very rarely dwarfs are able to bypass the blocking conditions for social skill acquistion but practically we may ignore it for our purposes here.

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:42 am »

-  'Uniform equipment skill' is shield user and armour user.  Did not notice anything wrong here.

It is the string generated in ItemUniform, it should look like "<item name> (<skill1>/<skill2>... Skill)". I don't see it anywhere and from the code itself it is hard to track where it is actually used.

1) 'spacer' means the gap between the paragraphs? I see some wider than the others. I think it is where a '<p>' tag is used. The tool-tip is generated in Dwarf::tooltip_text in src/dwarf.cpp. It is a list of small HTML fragments joined with a '
' (line break) tag between them. If you know a little HTML you could try to modify a few strings in there. If you need more advanced styling I could try to add a separate CSS file for styling the tool-tips (I think Qt allows that).

2) A good idea and easy to do.

3 & 4) I am not a trait expert, I don't have much to comment. Beliefs and goals are displayed with other personality traits in the "Personality" tab of the dwarf details (but only beliefs outside of the -10,+10 range?) or you can add belief columns in the grid view editor. I like the idea of role beliefs.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: November 08, 2017, 12:11:50 pm »

indiv_choice paired with job_skills makes me think it might be dealing with weapon choice there (and subsequent job name of the dwarf?). I was pretty wrong above though...

omg - beliefs are there to be added to the gridview.  Well I never.  :o  I'll make one.  And I'll have a play with the tooltips and see how far I can get.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: November 12, 2017, 04:53:58 pm »

My instance of Dwarf Therapist seems to crash as soon as I hit "read dwarves".

Fresh fort, not even started digging yet. The issue appears to be an access violation of some kind. Redownloading the .zip to see if that fixes the issue.
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: November 12, 2017, 05:07:42 pm »

Oh, I see, Dwarf Therapist doesn't seem to work with the latest version of DF. After all this time?

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Clément

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: November 12, 2017, 05:21:35 pm »

What version and OS are you using?

Latest version is 38.1. There are only windows build, you have to compile yourself on other OS.

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: November 12, 2017, 09:48:22 pm »

I was using the 3.70 that's linked in the first post of the thread. I see the problem now.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: November 13, 2017, 06:36:48 am »

Yeah, first post hasn't been updated forever.

There's a few working forks here and there, and the dfhack inbuilt labor manager works well too.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 222