Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 962602 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.20.4
« Reply #300 on: September 30, 2013, 10:11:32 pm »

So is there any specific editing that you want me to do? I can balance the document better, but it's not always easy to avoid awkward disconnects like the role weight issue or the role-profession-view juncture fault.

Fun fact: this was originally supposed to be a demonstratatory LaTeX project for myself (I was/am learning the language), and got a little out of hand :P.
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:36 am »

So is there any specific editing that you want me to do? I can balance the document better, but it's not always easy to avoid awkward disconnects like the role weight issue or the role-profession-view juncture fault.

Fun fact: this was originally supposed to be a demonstratatory LaTeX project for myself (I was/am learning the language), and got a little out of hand :P.
can you elaborate more on the awkward disconnects you mention? also, what did you mean in the document where you talk about the preferences and thoughts not reporting correct numbers? is there a bug, and/or something reproducible i can test? same applies to why you think grouping by total skill levels and total assigned labors is incorrect?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:02:34 am by splinterz »

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2013, 11:09:15 pm »

can you elaborate more on the awkward disconnects you mention? also, what did you mean in the document where you talk about the preferences and thoughts not reporting correct numbers? is there a bug, and/or something reproducible i can test? same applies to why you think grouping by total skill levels and total assigned labors is incorrect?

I need to reread what I wrote, but I can give you the first one off bat:

Role weights
Simple: role weights are artificially done. Not really your fault, though, there just hasn't been enough !!SCIENCE!! done on this topic. I think your solution is elegant, but it took me a good bit of 'xplaining from thistle to understand, and I nonetheless have to explain why role numbers are so fuzzy in the document. Doing so requires getting a bit involved in the mathematics and some lamentation on the state of labor !!SCIENCE!! today, which could be seen as objectionable in a manual, but I think is necessary.

Role-profession-view-juncture fault
Right now custom roles have only been implemented into the program insofar as viewing them as columns, or using them in the labor optimizer. A much more immediately useful application that I was initially shocked that the program lacked would be to link these roles to custom professions. Custom professions, meanwhile, would be much more useful if they could be made into individual "labor groupings", so that you could toggle them on or off at will within the view without having to resort to right-clicking. Allow me to explain in detail.

Custom professions to the grid view: A useful capacity for the program to have would be the ability to link several labors under a single profession (which can be done), and then have the ability to add a row of boxes for that "superlabor" to your grid view. For instance, hauling. Hauling is almost always all-on or all-off, so instead of having the horizontal sprawl of an entire row of hauling sublabors, you can have just one, neat "Hauling" column. This has three benefits:
  • It goes a long way towards reducing the horizontal sprawl of the default labor view, making the program significantly more usable, especially on smaller screens.
  • It increases utility and speeds up application by allowing you to manipulate a set of labors in groupwise order, instead of having to resort to right-click "turn off all <labor grouping> labors", and having to repeat that operation multiple times.
  • It adds what I feel is that one last missing piece of interactivity to custom grid views.

Custom roles to custom professions: So I now have a superlabor toggling option linked to my profession. However, because custom professions are defined ad hoc, there are no role ratios and so that entire chunk of the program's utility is missing. One solution would be to simply add up the role weights of the job normally associated with the labor, ignoring any overlap; in fact I think this would be a good "default" solution. It would be even more useful if you could link my own, custom-written role to that profession and therefore to that column of boxes.

An unrelated query: I think Dwarf Therapist should ship with some predefined sort scripts already embedded in the program. These are actually not intuitive to write, but extremely useful and easy to use. Also, I think you should include my heavily edited "Labor+" view as an option the default install, but this is up to you: I'm not going to plug my own work if it's not necessarily wanted. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:12:06 pm by ResMar »
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2013, 05:10:51 am »

for the role weights, there has been some decent science done on how the various aspects affect different jobs. i posted some examples earlier in the thread, but in the end it's actually fairly subjective. for example you could argue that having a craftsdwarf with high attributes is better, because they'll move faster, craft slightly better stuff and potentially hit legendary faster. but if you've already got a mid/high skilled dwarf, and your materials are close to the craft station, then the impact of those attributes is going to be very diminished. anyway, once you throw thing in like skill rates, traits and preferences, there are just so many permutations of things to consider, i'm not sure we've got enough !!SCIENCE!! to handle it..

ahh i see, you're asking for custom professions to be available as a column, which allows you to toggle all the labors associated with the custom profession on or off. i like the concept, but there may be a few problems with it.

the first, more minor issue, is what we do when you set multiple custom professions for a single dwarf. currently, setting a custom profession changes, the name, and/or associated profession icon for the dwarf. so which name do we use? this is important because that's how DT figures out what custom profession a dwarf has when we read it in from memory. this leads to the more worrisome problem...

performance. if you set multiple custom professions for a dwarf, we've got no way to know that when we're loading up DT. we can match up one custom profession based on the name, but that's it. after that, for every dwarf in the fort, we have to check all the labors from every custom profession to see if we've got a match, so we know we need to toggle that cell in the custom profession's column on. the more dwarfs, the more professions, the more labors per profession you have, is all going to make this scale very, very badly. that said, the only solution may be to start storing an additional file with this kind of fort specific information.

anyway, i'll mess around with it and see what i can come up with, after i've got this health stuff finished up, that is.

Skin36

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: October 03, 2013, 12:35:15 pm »

will be added in the future to screen equipment?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.20.6 BETA
« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2013, 01:48:21 pm »

alright i've put up a beta for the next version. lots of good stuff in it, so check the main page for a summary, and let me know what new things i've broken :D the offsets included are also only for 34.11 (for now).

there's also a few bugs, specifically one that occurs after DT is closed, so if anyone wants to try compiling on their machines to see if it's just an environment problem please do and let me know the results!

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: October 04, 2013, 04:11:55 pm »

omgomgomg

btw, I second the custom profession thing as well, it was an idea I had earlier, but at the time I mentioned it, you thought I wanted the feature only to work around some unknown issue I may have had at the time.  I think it would be useful in early forts where I want my CMD to have all medical labors on.

A problem I see with custom professions though, is--for purposes of the labor optimizer--should a custom profession be counted as 1 labor or the # of labors that the custom profession has.  Maybe it can be specified in the custom profession.

Unmasking:
I honestly think having custom professions that can unmask labors as well as mask them would be useful as well.

Say I want to unassign masonry to a group of dwarf's.  It would be nice to have a custom profession to do so. (Ie, the ability to deenable masonry if it's currently enabled).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 06:04:46 pm by thistleknot »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: October 04, 2013, 07:49:17 pm »

Wow, this is awesome.  A new version of my LNP will go up sometime next week when I have a connection with stable upload - should I include both and tag 20.6 'BETA', or just go for it and replace?  (I might only have space for one). 

There are a number of old bits that have stuck around, for example:  half the help menu links point to the old DT (forum and bug report) and help-about lists it as fork 20.4 - nothing big, but worth fixing if possible. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: October 04, 2013, 09:12:25 pm »

Splinterz, a few more traits that need work

Depression needs to be inversed, check immoderation?

I'm assuming drinking alcohol in excess is not a good thing, and the game sets the dwarf's at slightly a higher rate.

however, you still have immoderation set to high = good, which I'm thinking means drunk dwarfs are good dwarfs.

I guess it's subjective...

Assertive:
pop ups have no description in the GUI on my dwarf's values

Anger:
I think should be reversed.

Anger should only be beneficial for combat dwarfs

Intellectual Curiosity:
Not sure what's beneficial.  Dumb dwarf's might be better

Liberalism:
Not sure

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:23:06 pm by thistleknot »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2013, 03:31:14 am »

Splinterz, a few more traits that need work. Depression needs to be inversed, check immoderation? I'm assuming drinking alcohol in excess is not a good thing, and the game sets the dwarf's at slightly a higher rate. however, you still have immoderation set to high = good, which I'm thinking means drunk dwarfs are good dwarfs. I guess it's subjective...
  • Assertive: pop ups have no description in the GUI on my dwarf's values
  • Anger: I think should be reversed. Anger should only be beneficial for combat dwarfs
  • Intellectual Curiosity: Not sure what's beneficial.  Dumb dwarf's might be better
  • Liberalism: Not sure
anxiety, depression, self-consciousness and vulnerability are the traits that have been inverted. i was on the fence about anger, since it's a good thing to have for combat, but i suppose that overall, it's a bad trait to have. liberalism supposedly determines happy or unhappy thoughts from talking with nobles, but it seems it's unverified (wiki). immoderation and intellectual curiosity, as far as i'm aware, doesn't affect anything at all.

which tooltips aren't showing up for you?

Wow, this is awesome.  A new version of my LNP will go up sometime next week when I have a connection with stable upload - should I include both and tag 20.6 'BETA', or just go for it and replace?  (I might only have space for one). 

There are a number of old bits that have stuck around, for example:  half the help menu links point to the old DT (forum and bug report) and help-about lists it as fork 20.4 - nothing big, but worth fixing if possible. 
thanks, i'll clean that stuff up. the crash on exit bug is still there, but otherwise it's pretty solid. i'll still increment the version with any other changes, so feel free to use it as is, beta tag or not, if you're finding it stable enough.

the memory layouts for linux have been updated, but i haven't tested it, and it's got no backward compatibility, the mem layouts are only updated for 34.11.

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: October 05, 2013, 06:18:02 am »

Compile error: http://bpaste.net/show/137970/  (click 'raw' to get non-parsed output)

GNU/Linux
changeset:   579:6c9761f8ec20
gcc 4.8.1.
qmake 3.0 / qt 5.1.1
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 06:21:19 am by Mr.Elendig »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #311 on: October 05, 2013, 07:14:26 am »

Compile error: http://bpaste.net/show/137970/  (click 'raw' to get non-parsed output)

GNU/Linux
changeset:   579:6c9761f8ec20
gcc 4.8.1.
qmake 3.0 / qt 5.1.1
i've updated the source with a fix (i hope)

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: October 05, 2013, 07:32:39 am »

Compiles and runs now, thanks.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: October 05, 2013, 08:22:44 am »

Assertiveness shows no tooltip.
Anger default should be low=good. Combat dwarfs should use the role editors invert option.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #314 on: October 05, 2013, 08:41:54 am »

Assertiveness shows no tooltip.
Anger default should be low=good. Combat dwarfs should use the role editors invert option.
tooltips seem fine to me, again please specify which tooltip you're talking about. anger has been changed.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 222