Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 966773 times)

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.23.2 | DF 40.04
« Reply #1035 on: July 25, 2014, 05:11:34 pm »

Do you have an ETA for the next version yet?

The "Role" view should be updated to use the same color and organizational scheme as the "Labor-Alt" (future "Labor") view.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:42:51 pm by ResMar »
ヽ(´ー`)┌[>゜))))彡]   Dwarf Therapist User Guide

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1036 on: July 25, 2014, 07:03:12 pm »

oh man, why didn't anyone tell me committing changes reverts the sorting!? :(

Do you have an ETA for the next version yet?

The "Role" view should be updated to use the same color and organizational scheme as the "Labor-Alt" (future "Labor") view.
oh.. a few days? maybe i can get out a alpha/beta this weekend to get some testing going. yeah roles need quite a bit of work with the new personality changes so i've been holding off until more is known about the conflicts and happy thought relationships.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: July 25, 2014, 07:05:44 pm »

Since the "Pending Labor Changes" dock includes changes that aren't labor-related (for instance, setting a nickname), another tweak would be to rename it to simply "Pending Changes".

Can anyone provide me with a decently large (70ish+ dwarves) fortress save in version 40.04?

Here you go, 100-ish dwarves. Actually a 40.03 fort that ported over without any obvious problems, if that's relevant.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: July 25, 2014, 08:04:05 pm »

oh man, why didn't anyone tell me committing changes reverts the sorting!? :(

I noticed it, but it was an afterthought, too many quirks and I wasn't sure what the causes were.  A few I didn't bother reporting if it didn't really cause an inconvenience.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: July 25, 2014, 08:48:25 pm »

Since the "Pending Labor Changes" dock includes changes that aren't labor-related (for instance, setting a nickname), another tweak would be to rename it to simply "Pending Changes".

Can anyone provide me with a decently large (70ish+ dwarves) fortress save in version 40.04?

Here you go, 100-ish dwarves. Actually a 40.03 fort that ported over without any obvious problems, if that's relevant.

Thanks!

Edit: what's with the naming scheme?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:07:11 pm by ResMar »

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: July 25, 2014, 09:33:56 pm »

splinterz, how many of the following things have been included in the base installation:

• Optimization "Test Plan" for Wood Burning and Furnace Operating
  • "Ranged" custom profession
  • The four filter scripts
  • The Hauler custom role

This seems like a silly question to ask since I don't see how, my having reinstalled the program two or three times since then, it could have kept my old custom definitions, and I've assumed these have all been included as program examples in editing the guide for the next version.

However, I found a functionless "R" custom profession template in my Therapist that I vaguely recall having written, but not having included anywhere in the guide. Also, the filter script for "Available for Work" is currently broken because of some strange problems on the beekeeping check of the script (my best guess, are filter scripts limited in character length?)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 09:39:06 pm by ResMar »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1041 on: July 26, 2014, 02:29:46 am »

splinterz, how many of the following things have been included in the base installation:

• Optimization "Test Plan" for Wood Burning and Furnace Operating
  • "Ranged" custom profession
  • The four filter scripts
  • The Hauler custom role

This seems like a silly question to ask since I don't see how, my having reinstalled the program two or three times since then, it could have kept my old custom definitions, and I've assumed these have all been included as program examples in editing the guide for the next version.

However, I found a functionless "R" custom profession template in my Therapist that I vaguely recall having written, but not having included anywhere in the guide. Also, the filter script for "Available for Work" is currently broken because of some strange problems on the beekeeping check of the script (my best guess, are filter scripts limited in character length?)
you need to find your Dwarf Therapist.ini and remove it if you want to start completely fresh, custom professions, roles, colors and scripts are all stored globally in that settings file.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: July 26, 2014, 07:26:37 am »

Thanks!

Edit: what's with the naming scheme?

Started it before DT was updated, this made it easier for me to keep track of everything until it was fixed, and I haven't got around to getting rid of them all again yet.

Felgard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: July 26, 2014, 08:41:05 am »

one question are births suposed to show up in the "Groped By: Migration wave"?

i have a lot of lines like this:

Born on the 23rd of limestone in the year 195 (1)

add one line for every baby born in my fort since its founding

all of them have no dwarf associated with it but i am guessing it is since they still are a baby

wouldn't it be better if all dwarfs born in the fort instead show up in one migration group named something like "locally born dwarfs" and have that grouping only show up once there is someone old enough to be able to work?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1044 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:11 am »

one question are births suposed to show up in the "Groped By: Migration wave"?

i have a lot of lines like this:

Born on the 23rd of limestone in the year 195 (1)

add one line for every baby born in my fort since its founding

all of them have no dwarf associated with it but i am guessing it is since they still are a baby

wouldn't it be better if all dwarfs born in the fort instead show up in one migration group named something like "locally born dwarfs" and have that grouping only show up once there is someone old enough to be able to work?
currently if you have children/babies hidden it still shows the aggregate row for the group. i'll check it out.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: July 26, 2014, 12:01:31 pm »

I've found a "Baron" custom role useful. It selects dwarfs with no item preferences and high social attributes.

Very helpful when picking out a baron/baroness.

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: July 26, 2014, 01:47:41 pm »

Found it. Hmm. Alright.

Ok, wow this changes a lot of things I have to say about the program.

Suggested changes:
  • Switch the Labor and Labor Alt views (done)
  • Turn off gradient cell shading by default.
  • Turn on synchronize view scroll positions.
  • Make text (ae. numbers) the default information presentation option. None of the other options even come close.
  • Turn on "highlight nobles" by default.
  • I'd implement *some* sort of differentiation between noble highlighting---highlighting all nobles with the *same* color is just about totally useless since you still have to scroll over them to find out what kind of noble they are. I'd recommend magenta for nobility, dark green for militia and lawdwarves, and the default for everything else[/i].
I didn't realize there was a phantom file controlling my settings still present on the computer from past versions, so had thought that you had made all of these changes already.

One more thing: I'd recommend using the highlighting feature to demark nobles in the dwarf list, and removing the italic font and masterwork "nameplate" their name is displayed in. It breaks the appearance of a uniform list.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:20:57 pm by ResMar »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1047 on: July 26, 2014, 02:53:20 pm »

Found it. Hmm. Alright.

Ok, wow this changes a lot of things I have to say about the program.

Suggested changes:
  • Switch the Labor and Labor Alt views (done)
  • Turn off gradient cell shading by default.
  • Turn on synchronize view scroll positions.
  • Make text (ae. numbers) the default information presentation option. None of the other options even come close.
  • Turn on "highlight nobles" by default.
  • I'd implement *some* sort of differentiation between noble highlighting---highlighting all nobles with the *same* color is just about totally useless since you still have to scroll over them to find out what kind of noble they are. I'd recommend magenta for nobility, dark green for militia and lawdwarves, and the default for everything else[/i].
I didn't realize there was a phantom file controlling my settings still present on the computer from past versions, so had thought that you had made all of these changes already.

One more thing: I'd recommend using the highlighting feature to demark nobles in the dwarf list, and removing the italic font and masterwork "nameplate" their name is displayed in. It breaks the appearance of a uniform list.
oof. are you sure you don't want to just use the old version? :P   i'll see what i can do..

ResMar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: July 26, 2014, 05:26:23 pm »

Splinterz, Dwarf Therapist seems to have trouble finding squads at the moment.

Thistle, how hard do you think it would be to modify the optimization plan engine so that it allows you to optimize a certain number of dwarves out of a set? For instance, I select thirty dwarves, make an optimization plan that finds the ten best marksmen of any large-enough selection, and then run that script.

Ratio-based selection is useful when you want to quickbuild an industry out of a certain group of dwarves, but is limited in that you can't smartly control how many dwarves you get. You use a predefined group and then distribute jobs within this group; it's easy to select a group of the best candidates for one job, with sorting by role rating, but it's difficult to select a group of the best candidates for a bunch of them. You can do this by defining a custom role that has all of the properties of all of the labors you want to assign, but you have to A, write this role, and B, implemented in a view somewhere.

A numerical optimizer would solve this problem by doing it for you automatically. How I envision it working:

• The optimizer takes all of the roles used in the optimization plan, and mashes them together into a temporary custom role.
  • It sorts the selected dwarves by their fitness in this role, and then selects the top X dwarves out of this selection, where X is the number of dwarves to undergo optimization, as defined by the user in the plan.
  • It does the standard optimization crunch on these dwarves.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 05:42:05 pm by ResMar »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1049 on: July 26, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »

Splinterz, Dwarf Therapist seems to have trouble finding squads at the moment.

Thistle, how hard do you think it would be to modify the optimization plan engine so that it allows you to optimize a certain number of dwarves out of a set? For instance, I select thirty dwarves, make an optimization plan that finds the ten best marksmen of any large-enough selection, and then run that script.

Ratio-based selection is useful when you want to quickbuild an industry out of a certain group of dwarves.

But numerical picks are better when you want to find one dwarf for a particular job, and don't have a role weigh column open, and when you want to do something that's a little complicated to do with Dwarf Therapist at the moment, but is at the cusp of practicability: smart-assign dwarves to a military squad.
which version are you using that you're encountering squad issues?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 222