Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 967708 times)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06
« Reply #2655 on: June 23, 2016, 04:56:53 pm »

v0.42.05, because I tried to pick one that matched the "supported versions" when the error message popped up.
1. downloaded DF 0.42.05 and DT
2. There's a 9kb file in the DT memory_layouts that's called 0.42.05_graphics.
3. I download a 139 kb file off the website with the same name, drag it to the folder, and when "these files have the same name what do" question comes up I click "replace".
4. 0.42.05 is now no longer in the "supported versions" error message.

I know I'm doing something wrong here- people were talking earlier in the thread about copying and pasting things to the .ini file. Is that what I do? Do I copy everything in the new file and paste it into the old? I opened both and they look nothing alike.

What version of DT are you using?

Sounds like you've downloaded the page instead of the file (139kb is way too big). Copy and paste this: raw v0.42.05_graphics.ini into your file. Ensure that the file extension is .ini and not .ini.txt or something else.

Auto-updating layouts is just about ready to release (in testing now).

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:47 pm »

Auto-updating layouts is just about ready to release (in testing now).

That's awesome. I like the way that Dwarf Therapist stores the memory layouts within the app itself, but it makes it tricky for users to update.

Maybe Lazy Newb Packs could take advantage of this feature somehow so that Dwarf Therapist doesn't have to be re-downloaded by users with every Newb Pack update.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: June 24, 2016, 04:16:49 am »

:
Maybe Lazy Newb Packs could take advantage of this feature somehow so that Dwarf Therapist doesn't have to be re-downloaded by users with every Newb Pack update.
I hope not, at least not without the option of a complete download. Installing LNP on top of an existing install can cause all kinds of trouble, and forcing users to manually download and copy DT as a series of extra manual steps sort of defeats the purpose of LNP as a complete pre assembled package.

However, I certainly consider an auto updating feature to be neat and it should be very useful for people who only want DT/can live with having only DT/assemble their DF tools themselves. If it also saves on splinterz' support work it's an additional bonus.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »

How is the auto-updating layouts testing coming along? I'm really looking forward to it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: June 24, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »

Hopefully somebody will make a LNP that just keeps its utilities up to date. There was talk in another thread about a LNP that only downloads utilities after you select them, which is not far from the same thing.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 06:37:07 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: June 25, 2016, 02:41:07 am »

Again, if on demand downloading is introduced, you still need to provide the full package as one of the options. Everyone isn't connected to the Internet at all times on all computers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: June 25, 2016, 06:00:08 am »

Again, if on demand downloading is introduced, you still need to provide the full package as one of the options. Everyone isn't connected to the Internet at all times on all computers.
Well, you'd have to be online to download the full package anyway. Just enable everything when you're connected and copy that to your destination of choice.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 06:03:26 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: June 25, 2016, 06:36:06 am »

I don't have that problem, but other people do. Some people may e.g. download it at work (or other connected place), and carry the install file home on a USB stick. I can also envision bringing a laptop to a vacation out in the middle of nowhere (from a connection perspective, at least) and get a desire to try something new in LNP. But it's a blessing DF doesn't touch that horrible registry mess so you actually CAN copy stuff.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: June 25, 2016, 10:25:18 am »

They probably meant these private tools, which I use to create an up-to-date pack.  No current plans to build anything like this into PyLNP, updating an existing install is a major PITA to do safely and automatically.  In any case, I'd always provide the offline-capable version as the default.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: June 25, 2016, 10:39:09 pm »

They probably meant these private tools, which I use to create an up-to-date pack.  No current plans to build anything like this into PyLNP, updating an existing install is a major PITA to do safely and automatically.  In any case, I'd always provide the offline-capable version as the default.
Could be. Here's the post I read:
An uncompressed copy of the Lazy Newb Pack can take up 300+ MB of hard drive space. That seems like a lot to me.

Also, many people in the world don't have the best internet ("third-world" internet) and have slow download speeds or low bandwidth caps. I think it's good to have a lite Newb Pack as an option for users. I think most users who look in the /LNP/utilities/ folder will find that they rarely use most of the apps included there. I think the plan is for PyLNP to eventually be able to install utilities and graphics packs only when the user double-clicks on them, which should solve the bandwidth/hard-drive-space issue.

I guess there wasn't so much "talk" about it, but a passing mention in a single post.

If nothing else, it could keep track of your current version and let you know if you don't have the most recent utilities compatible with your version. It would probably to be up to the utility uploader to know which versions their utility can handle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 10:52:37 pm by Bumber »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: June 26, 2016, 03:10:57 am »

LNP does look for newer versions of LNP if that's enabled. If you want to assemble your tools yourself, rather than using PeridexisErrant's services, checks on the tool level would be useful. However, if you have a poor connection/low bandwidth/high price for bandwidth used, you probably don't want tools to try to use that connection for constant checks.
I'm not opposed to a smörgåsbord approach where you select which parts of the LNP you want to download, but that would be additional work for PeridexisErrant to firstly implement, and then to maintain. That approach would probably also lead to additional support requests, as people start to mix old versions of tools with newer versions of other tools and DF in an effort to save on bandwidth, but without enough knowledge to actually get compatible combinations every time.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2666 on: June 26, 2016, 06:06:09 am »

How is the auto-updating layouts testing coming along? I'm really looking forward to it.
It's going well, but it's becoming a major pain in the ass to continue supporting older versions of QT (prior to 5.0 which was released December 19th, 2012).

I'm considering moving the current version to a 'QT4' branch, stopping support for it, and cleaning up the current branch to remove all the ugly checks for QT4. However, I don't know how many people would be affected by this (ie. how many linux distros do not have QT5?).

At this time, either auto-updating will be disabled for non-QT5 (more ugly checks) or I'll have to remove some libraries and change things to support < QT5.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: June 26, 2016, 08:47:50 am »

LNP does look for newer versions of LNP if that's enabled. If you want to assemble your tools yourself, rather than using PeridexisErrant's services, checks on the tool level would be useful. However, if you have a poor connection/low bandwidth/high price for bandwidth used, you probably don't want tools to try to use that connection for constant checks.
I'm not opposed to a smörgåsbord approach where you select which parts of the LNP you want to download, but that would be additional work for PeridexisErrant to firstly implement, and then to maintain. That approach would probably also lead to additional support requests, as people start to mix old versions of tools with newer versions of other tools and DF in an effort to save on bandwidth, but without enough knowledge to actually get compatible combinations every time.

Bandwith should not be a problem today.

If people think Dwarf Fortress packs are "large downloads", maybe they should learn how to handle 7-zip instead.
Masterwork uses .RAR because Meph gets to many support requests for how to unzip a .7z when it was in 7-zip format. For masterwork that saves about 30MB on each download.
The savings is about the same for "PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack". About 30MB. That makes the starterpack a 110MB download without counting the extra 360MB you need if you want to use  Soundsense.

marian.kadanka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: June 26, 2016, 06:53:38 pm »

I'm considering moving the current version to a 'QT4' branch, stopping support for it, and cleaning up the current branch to remove all the ugly checks for QT4. However, I don't know how many people would be affected by this (ie. how many linux distros do not have QT5?).

Go ahead and remove Qt4 support. Even two years old Ubuntu 14.04 has Qt5 libraries included in official repository.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: June 26, 2016, 07:13:26 pm »

Bandwith should not be a problem today.

If people think Dwarf Fortress packs are "large downloads", maybe they should learn how to handle 7-zip instead.
Masterwork uses .RAR because Meph gets to many support requests for how to unzip a .7z when it was in 7-zip format. For masterwork that saves about 30MB on each download.
The savings is about the same for "PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack". About 30MB. That makes the starterpack a 110MB download without counting the extra 360MB you need if you want to use  Soundsense.
Bandwidth is a problem for some people. I would say that starter packs tend to be pretty large, at least when it comes to download size. PE's pack has grown to almost 140 MB, which is over 10 times larger than a DF download. It's understandable that people with slow or expensive connections would want a preconfigured option that isn't this large, especially if they don't use all of the utilities that are bundled in.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 222