Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 39327 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #240 on: January 05, 2014, 11:39:28 pm »

Oh trust me, they can be super powerful. It depends how high level they are but after a point they'll saw you in half in seconds. Those weird robed guys can do it too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2014, 06:04:03 am »

True, a single witch lasering you, might not seem as powerful.
Just wait till you meet a whole group of them. As Janet said, they'll saw you in half.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:02 am »

As others already pointed, this game has not been abandoned.

Let me quote the last, and sadly irregularly posted, tweets from the dev:
Quote from: 5:19 PM - 4 Janv, 14
This will make questing and traveling much more comfortable. Works with any city you discovered on the map.
Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Quote from: 3:30 PM - 29 Déc, 13
Working on the new quest system. Each land has dungeon-, monster-, and mini quests, and one main random quest line.
Quote from: 10:34 AM - 20 Déc, 13
Working on new quest mechanics...
And you can check Twitter for more: https://twitter.com/wol_lay

Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 07, 2014, 03:43:13 am »

There's still work being done, and this is the same pace they've always gone on the game. The internet is a bunch of drama queens as usual.

The reason many of us got upset is that there had been daily posts for several months before release, then they opened up for preorders... and nobody heard a WHISPER from them for over three months. Not a single goddamn word. It's like they fell off the face of the earth (with our money). The last thing they posted on the main site was about the problems the shop was having, but the Twitter posts dried up completely and they ignored communication efforts from worried fans/customers and media journalists alike.

Obviously, that stank of "take the money and run" tactics, which ruffled quite a few feathers. I'm glad they're still working on it, but don't pretend there wasn't a period of serious uncertainty.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:51 am »

There's still work being done, and this is the same pace they've always gone on the game. The internet is a bunch of drama queens as usual.

The reason many of us got upset is that there had been daily posts for several months before release, then they opened up for preorders... and nobody heard a WHISPER from them for over three months. Not a single goddamn word. It's like they fell off the face of the earth (with our money). The last thing they posted on the main site was about the problems the shop was having, but the Twitter posts dried up completely and they ignored communication efforts from worried fans/customers and media journalists alike.

Obviously, that stank of "take the money and run" tactics, which ruffled quite a few feathers. I'm glad they're still working on it, but don't pretend there wasn't a period of serious uncertainty.

Agreed. It took an exposé from a media outlet to get Wollay to acknowledge that he was even alive. You can't sweep that under the rug and blame the fans.

The problem isn't just that his Twitter went silent, it's that the Picroma support email address went silent. I have three friends that were charged for Cube World and could not download the game due to bugged logins (this is well after the "DDoS" was resolved). Multiple emails over 25ish days were unanswered by Picroma and they had to file PayPal disputes to get their money back. It really does stink of "take the money and run" when a company takes someone's money and won't even respond to them when they're unable to download the product they purchased.

EDIT: Holy crap, my grammar is abysmal this morning. Need more coffee
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:39:47 am by PrimusRibbus »
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 09, 2014, 01:27:52 am »

I have been disintegrated by witch lasers now. It was not a pleasant experience.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 01, 2014, 03:45:14 pm »

New dev post appeared, they're working on the quest system or somesuch.

But still nothing new to download and play...
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 01, 2014, 05:35:43 pm »

Wait, what?! this game isn't dead?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 10, 2014, 07:09:25 pm »

id say at the pace that developmentis grinding along its more like star sector a hour or two a day of programming, now they got their money theres no rush

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2014, 05:26:34 am »

It's almost like there's only one person working on this game.
If so, it would be finished about the time when Toady releases DF 1.0, if not later.

edit: I'll probably get lynched for comparing this to DF's development time.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 06, 2019, 06:38:12 pm »

So uuh..
Some news.
And according to Wollay's twitter:
"Yes, owners of the alpha will get Steam keys."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 06, 2019, 09:30:42 pm »

As a quick recap, Cube World is a thing that happened back during the Minecraft craze, promising investors a Minecraft with much more fleshed out combat mechanics and RPG progression, and NPC's with quests. The dev put out an ambitious roadmap with lots of promising content he planned to add. There was a huge demand for this sort of thing at the time, so of course he sold a ton of units. And then people waited for patches with the new content, and they never came. Every few months the the dev would post an update with a few screenshots and words suggesting he was hard at work on something, but the patches never came. Eventually it became widely agreed that the dev was not in fact working on anything, he was just projecting that illusion so that he could continue to milk this con for every last dime that rubes were willing to invest.

And now it seems he's taking this farce to Steam.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2019, 08:30:06 am »

Actually, if you followed his twitter, you would have seen him post updates he made on the game every 6 month or so.
Also, this very recent thing.

Edit: Now, I'm not telling whether you should buy the game or not. Just trying to clarify a few things from my own observations.
I genuinely believe that this is a passion project of his, and that he will continue to update it at his own pace.
It just was way overwhelming for him at the get go.
I do understand that you are sceptical about this though.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:40:58 am by Ultimuh »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2019, 01:29:03 pm »

As a quick recap, Cube World is a thing that happened back during the Minecraft craze, promising investors a Minecraft with much more fleshed out combat mechanics and RPG progression, and NPC's with quests. The dev put out an ambitious roadmap with lots of promising content he planned to add. There was a huge demand for this sort of thing at the time, so of course he sold a ton of units. And then people waited for patches with the new content, and they never came. Every few months the the dev would post an update with a few screenshots and words suggesting he was hard at work on something, but the patches never came. Eventually it became widely agreed that the dev was not in fact working on anything, he was just projecting that illusion so that he could continue to milk this con for every last dime that rubes were willing to invest.

And now it seems he's taking this farce to Steam.
Maybe save the unbridled pessimism for after the steam release?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2019, 03:27:16 pm »

if it quacks like a duck...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19