Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 39318 times)

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2013, 02:13:14 pm »

What confuses me is that the only advantage I see to giant Minecraft-style voxel blocks is that they're easy to mine and build with. For an action RPG without terrain deformation, mining, or substantial building, it seems like a choice that would make the main focus of the game less fun.

The blocks are more than half the height of the player character... The videos of combat show the player character teleporting upwards as they walk into a block one z-level above their current position. This is not expected behavior, IMO, and would make combat less intuitive (particularly with the dodging that is shown at 2:40 in the new video).
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

What confuses me is that the only advantage I see to giant Minecraft-style voxel blocks is that they're easy to mine and build with. For an action RPG without terrain deformation, mining, or substantial building, it seems like a choice that would make the main focus of the game less fun.

The blocks are more than half the height of the player character... The videos of combat show the player character teleporting upwards as they walk into a block one z-level above their current position. This is not expected behavior, IMO, and would make combat less intuitive (particularly with the dodging that is shown at 2:40 in the new video).

It is indeed an odd decision. The crafting elements in the new video looked neat, but I don't see any advantage whatsoever, aesthetically or mechanically, to having a voxel world other than, you know, cashing in on the fad-like popularity of voxel games at the moment.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2013, 02:23:55 pm »

But it does have terrain deformation. It's just caused more by magical explosions and heavy enemies and less by mining.

Have you ever played a Bethesda game? The animations in general and the sudden z-level jumps are really glaring there, and those are supposed to be AAA games.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 02:26:04 pm by Virtz »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 02:29:03 pm »

But it does have terrain deformation. It's just caused more by magical explosions and heavy enemies and less by mining.

Indeed, looking at videos you are correct. Which actually makes it an even bigger problem. Combat against large monsters looks clunky as heck with the character teleporting up and down hills.

Have you ever played a Bethesda game? The animations in general and the sudden z-level jumps are really glaring there, and those are supposed to be AAA games.

So because Bethesda makes clunky games with bad combat, it makes it okay?
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 04:02:07 pm »

Watching the latest videos, stepping onto a ledge seems to be a very smooth experience. The camera doesn't even budge and the little player just raises gracefully onto the ledge. Combined with the very smooth and open terrain, I don't think the height of the ledges will be a problem at all.  Plenty of games have the player skipping up ledges half his height or more, getting away with it simply requires the proper aesthetics or gameplay mechanics.

I doubt the creator is consciously cashing in on any voxel fads, the game is just too beautiful for that. The voxelity of the game is too deeply entwined with the entire concept to be a mere cash-in.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2013, 05:09:30 pm »

So because Bethesda makes clunky games with bad combat, it makes it okay?
Point is you're expecting the sort of technical excellence from an indie game you wouldn't necessarily see in a highly rated AAA game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2013, 05:15:32 pm »

Mostly I am looking at combat and how at the moment it is like combat two people have with cardboard tubes or pillows. You COULD employ strategy but swinging wildly works just as well.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »

Mostly I am looking at combat and how at the moment it is like combat two people have with cardboard tubes or pillows. You COULD employ strategy but swinging wildly works just as well.

Combat is not much different from any other MMO. I saw plenty of kiting in Cube World. What are you expecting, 4th dimensional shenanigans?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »

Combat is not much different from any other MMO. I saw plenty of kiting in Cube World. What are you expecting, 4th dimensional shenanigans?

Skill, strategy, tactics.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!?! Clearly I should have expected stupid wild swinging without a semblance of thought! Wait a minute, that isn't what you mean at all... So then why did you say that?

Ohh wait I see, you are defending the game from a perceived attack.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:18 pm »

I think the main reason to go with voxel base cube terrain is that I would assume it's much easier to generate terrain using voxels represented as cubes than points with a mesh streched between them and I would imagine it takes much less computing power for cubes than points.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2013, 05:48:29 pm »

I should state that the game has terrain deformation and inspite of the FAQ, some of the videos show mining with explosives.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2013, 06:04:33 pm »

Skill, strategy, tactics.

WHAT WAS I THINKING!?! Clearly I should have expected stupid wild swinging without a semblance of thought! Wait a minute, that isn't what you mean at all... So then why did you say that?

Ohh wait I see, you are defending the game from a perceived attack.

This isn't Zeno Clash or Overgrowth. It might not look very good if it had that sort of hand-to-hand. I wouldn't want to try to aim at one spot on one cube. But what do I know? It's not finished yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2013, 06:08:49 pm »

It might not look very good if it had that sort of hand-to-hand

It needs to improve. There is no game you can compare it to that will change that.

It doesn't matter if you compare my ranting to asking it to be like Street Fighter, it doesn't matter if you compare my desire for further expanding upon strategy to be me asking it to be like StarCraft. It doesn't matter what game you compare Cube World to invalidate my worlds to.

Cube World needs to improve Cube World combat because right now, it is wild swinging and cheap shots where the strategy is all in the big hits.

It needs to work on the spacing element and other aspects of its combat engine to elevate it. In fact it is where I put the "Make or Break" point of this game.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:13:59 pm by Neonivek »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:13 pm »

Where it seems to be right now is in the crafting and how you approach a mob. Further down the blog you'll see a fight with a cyclops and
Code: [Select]
"Cyclopses fight with hands and feet now, and have new special abilites like this charge attack. He can also do a cyclone attack. Trolls still use big maces and have an earthquake attack."Don't get underfoot. Sound strategy. It's giving me a Monster Hunter vibe in that respect.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »

It might not look very good if it had that sort of hand-to-hand

It needs to improve. There is no game you can compare it to that will change that.

It doesn't matter if you compare my ranting to asking it to be like Street Fighter, it doesn't matter if you compare my desire for further expanding upon strategy to be me asking it to be like StarCraft. It doesn't matter what game you compare Cube World to invalidate my worlds to.

Cube World needs to improve Cube World combat because right now, it is wild swinging and cheap shots where the strategy is all in the big hits.

It needs to work on the spacing element and other aspects of its combat engine to elevate it. In fact it is where I put the "Make or Break" point of this game.

I got the impression from the videos that the combat features dodging, combo attacks, ranged attacks, skills, boomerangs, buying/crafting new weapons, armour and trinkets, various classes, potions, stealth, enemies and bosses with varying attack patterns that each require their own strategy and more... What kind of strategy do you even want on top of that? It's a platformer RPG, stabbing your enemies as fast and efficient as possible is a perfectly valid and potentially fun combat system.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19