Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 39322 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2013, 09:27:57 pm »

... What kind of strategy do you even want on top of that?

It isn't the tricks the game can do but rather how it implements them.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2013, 03:11:22 am »

I'm sorry, but that's an incredibly broad statement that can be applied to anything. It doesn't really answer my question. You said you wanted skill, strategy or tactics and the latest videos show those are clearly implemented. Now you're saying they're implemented badly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzGkAC5I6og

Here's a close look at the combat. It's a bit chaotic and I think it might be more fun if the lower-tier enemies had a bit less health, but I really can't find anything objectively wrong with it, or lacking in potential strategy. Shields even block blows completely, which means there are likely enemies that do the same thing, forcing the player to time his shots or try another strategy.
It all boils down to how the game will be balanced and how many enemies will be strong and crafty enough to be too hard to defeat by simply whacking them. Things we can't infer from the videos.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 09:16:09 am »

I actually watched all the videos.

The part that bugs me is mostly the wild swinging aspect.

Where Zelda you could wildly swing and defeat enemies, it was just as advantageous, in fact more so, to be careful and conservative. Where in this your goal is to start swinging like crazy when you have a moment where the enemy hits you less.

In other words exactly like a pillow fight.

I think it might be more fun if the lower-tier enemies had a bit less health

It is part of the game that ordinary attacks are basically wifflebats to fill your super bar, only super moves finish enemies off.

It could work once you are a much higher level and they are basically there to annoy you when you are fighting the bigger enemies (similar to how Monster Hunter you will eventually casually take down enemies you used to have to concentrate on)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:24:32 am by Neonivek »

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 10:45:47 am »

In the 3D Zelda games, wildly stabbing doesn't work at all. Most enemies can block indefinitely and require patience or quick reflexes to stab them when there's an opening.  They're both games with vastly different gameplay mechanics as well, so comparing them doesn't really add to the discussion.

Super moves are just powerful moves that can be executed when the Spirit bar is full, they're not required to finish off enemies. You can see this in the videos you watched in the parts where enemies get slaughtered with regular stabbings. (The last video has the best example of this, since combat has been redesigned a few times)

I doubt you'll live long if you don't dodge attacks from more powerful enemies in Cube World, which means you'll have to be careful and conservative to optimize your stabby-time. It's like Zelda in reverse, instead of waiting for an opening, you move away when the opening closes. Same amount of reflexes and skill needed, just applied differently.

It's of course perfectly reasonable that you don't enjoy this type of combat. But your first posts implied that it lacked any kind of skill or strategy, which is simply not the case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 11:59:38 am »

I doubt you'll live long if you don't dodge attacks from more powerful enemies in Cube World

You also need health potions because the bosses are the cheap shot kind.

Super moves are just powerful moves that can be executed when the Spirit bar is full, they're not required to finish off enemies

There are other moves that use the Spirit Bar, but your main source of damage against any enemy worth their salt is going to be your spirit attacks, which require you to pelt at your enemy.

If you aren't prepared to pepper the enemy with attacks you aren't going to get far in the game.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:02:17 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 12:46:01 pm »

cheap shots

There are no cheap shots in monster hunter...

It is hard but at no time are there cheap shots.

I am just waiting for them to refine their combat further, which they may and they may not.

Also what you want to watch to understand what I mean are these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbeg7kZnhs
And especially
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Lj8sP3oYQ

I just needs work is all.

---

Anyhow I'll be specific. I don't like the "We both ignore eachother's attacks except for knock back" aspect as well as how bosses (except for the Cyclops oddly enough) have cheap shots (cheap shots being attacks you cannot reasonable avoid). It can work but it usually tells me the general tone of combat.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 04:54:36 pm by Neonivek »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 09:47:47 am »

Word on the street is that they've greatly improved the melee combat system and fixed many of the terrain teleporting glitches in Cube World. Is there anyone playing the Alpha that can confirm or deny this?
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:04 am »

Looks like you can buy the alpha now, haven't tested it myself, not really that interested...yet :D

https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 10:50:47 am »

Looks like you can buy the alpha now, haven't tested it myself, not really that interested...yet :D

https://picroma.com/buycubeworld

The shop is currently disabled due to server maintenance. Please try again later.
:'(

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2013, 11:01:51 am »

They're probably getting hammered like crazy :p

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2013, 12:05:31 pm »

Due to server issues we had to temporarily disable the shop.

*sigh*

Walter Sullivan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2013, 02:07:00 pm »

Can't register right now, so to anyone who already bought it, how much is it?
"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed" - The Dark Tower

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:58 pm »

Can't register right now, so to anyone who already bought it, how much is it?

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2013, 02:21:50 pm »

I may have glimpsed on their forums, approx 15 Euros.
I might be wrong tough.

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2013, 06:56:46 am »

It's available to buy again for 15 EUR. I've been eagerly awaiting this so can't wait to finish work and play it
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19