Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 38982 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #255 on: September 07, 2019, 03:35:42 pm »

if it quacks like a duck...
There have been aforementioned updates, the aforementioned apology, and especially the fact that those who bought the game before will get steam keys which includes the updates.

I personally don't care much for Cube World. And it's definitely fair to be disillusioned about it considering its history, but when the news is "hey guys we've actually been working on it this whole time and are gonna release those updates on this month/next month, all owners will get access to the game and updates on steam as well" it's unfair to immediately start yelling about how it's all just the continuation of a scam.
Because that makes absolutely zero sense.

On the off-chance the steam release somehow experiences the same "problems" Cube World already has, then of course everyone would have every reason to be mad. But this is literally nothing but good news coming from "it's dead", and taking it as a chance to jump right back onto the hate bandwagon just seems like hate for hate's sake. Why bother wasting that energy hating it before seeing it, whether first-hand or second-hand?
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 08, 2019, 01:30:49 pm »

because basic decency would be to prove oneself with a solid round of update before starting collecting more money just off of hype. well see which will come first shortly anyway. regardless of how the release will pan out, I'm definitely allowed to react from the statements.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 09, 2019, 07:50:21 pm »

if you folks are looking for a game that went dead and then came back to life,where the dev actually got his act together and is still working on it forget cubeworld and it seems blockscape is moving along rapidly now.  So for every dodgy dev that stays dodgy there are the sean murruys and blockscape devs who eventually understand their mistakes and use some of the money made to at least finish the game and in some cases bounce back

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2019, 09:27:44 pm »

Sean Murray has barely begun to scratch the surface of the original trailer. Sean is trying to repair his legacy and credibility so he can sell other games. The newest update was hard locking consoles so development continues to be rushed. Little has been learned.

Now back to Cube World
Once Cube World hits it sounds like it's straight up a full release. No alpha or beta but Wollay will continue to fiddle with it. About the only thing he hid was crippling depression.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2019, 10:04:55 pm »

I understood it as sort of a full release as well, I'll wait a bit since I've been on the frontlines of epic fail releases too many times in the last few years.  :P I think I played an alternate copy of Cube World once it was already impossible to buy it, and wanted to see it developed one day, but I don't really have any bias on it. I always thought the dev must've ran into some illness issue (and from the little I've read, I'd bet more towards anxiety-related stuff), because he vanished but kept posting screens and actual info every now and then.

I really think it's much more likely to be a positive thing, however.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2019, 02:20:09 pm »

Didn't an mmo release a few years ago that was pretty much this game?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2019, 04:47:44 pm »

yes trove https://store.steampowered.com/app/304050/Trove/ pretty much took over the market.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 20, 2019, 12:13:13 pm »

yes trove https://store.steampowered.com/app/304050/Trove/ pretty much took over the market.

Huh. Never heard of it.

In new news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXyBVbryR9M
Release date is end of September.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2019, 05:20:59 pm »

So this is out and playable for those who owned the original. Things have changed, a lot. People don't like change and are pretty unhappy about the dev trying to reinvent the progression wheel.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Mesron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 25, 2019, 06:10:51 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the change to the leveling system. On the one hand it seems interesting when I read about it but when playing and not being able to level up by fighting makes the game really hard since you will always run into monsters that are impossible to beat with the equipment you start out with.

Basically you need to find equipment powerful enough to fight of strong enemies so that you can find Artifacts that will level you up.

I have yet to get strong enough to get an artifact so I don't know how much stronger you get from leveling up.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2019, 05:38:05 pm »

The memes are strong on reddit.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Note to self: buy a Windows 10 license... eventually. Or not.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:48:03 pm by BigD145 »

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 30, 2019, 09:32:17 pm »

There's a relatively easy patch to make it Windows 7 compatible. (It'll crash when you quit, but that's not exactly a huge issue.)

That said... can't say I'd recommend buying in current form, at least solo. (I was one of the folks who bought way back when.) The long travel times and overall balancing seem designed for teams of players who have a lot to chat about during down time, and the progression system is... pretty rough. You start out really quite weak and only the RNG gods can bless you with a weapon to finally get out of that hole. And there's the whole region-locking thing that's been previously mentioned.

I only found a small number of artifacts in the time I kept at playing, and they only upgraded non-combat stats. Not sure if I just failed another layer of RNG, or that's the only permanent upgrades one can get.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 30, 2019, 10:19:25 pm »

As someone who bought the alpha (well, my parents bought it for me, I was only 8 at the time in 2013), I'm disgusted at how much of the features that were a big part of cube world were butchered. Region locked equipment is a no-no for any wide open sandbox with a focus on exploration. They also removed the perfectly fine "kill enemies for xp to level up" system the alpha had.
it's over

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 01, 2019, 01:23:44 am »

Yeah based on what old timers have been saying, I was wrong that it would be a good surprise. Even though I played unbiased, the game is pretty boring and disappointing in a lot of ways. Every single thing you think you can break or interact with, you can't.
Killing mobs is a complete waste of time unless you bump into some that actually drop some gear, and the game is completely unfriendly to newcomers.
As a DF player I definitely don't expect to have my hand held, but this one feels pretty artificial and weird. And if I understood correctly, if you unlock the power to ride pets in a region, you cannot ride them in another region? Why take away something from the player like that?
And I played co-op..me and gf weren't very amused to spend so much time holding W and everywhere we went was unrewarding and meaningless. If it wasn't our inherent like for 'cube games', I don't think we would keep trying.
We played Trove a lot years ago and dropped it because of the usual MMO-end-game-skinner-box-lottery-ticket-gambing style it was, but all the way to the end Trove was pretty fun.
I did get to understand what CW wants you to do, but honestly I cannot see any sense in this sort of flow. At least playing as a Mage is mildly fun on its own since the Float feels along with Teleport and climbing feels like an exploit.

I'll probably give it a couple more hours solo, but I can totally understand why old timers would get mad.

E: Now that I work with gamedev, I feel bad for being harsh towards games. But at the same time, bound to honesty. Maybe if I follow the exact right flow in the dev's mind, I can learn something.  :P

E2: I played for almost 2h solo and it's still very bad. Killing a cow, pig or sheep takes way too long. Nothing drops gear. Quests that should give you gear can be on the literal opposite edge of your region, which could take you dozens of minutes to get to (or even an hour) by just dragging yourself all the way there with nothing else to do on the way. Even though I have 10 different pet food, I cannot seem to tame any pets. If I could, it would bring a little hope that I could move a bit faster with one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 09:05:18 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 01, 2019, 01:56:27 am »

the problem with "indies going dark" is that deprives them of the most important design help, player feedback. seen this play out over and over again. developer has a nice idea, a solid core that needs to be expanded into a game. some stuff works, some doesn't. developer can't take nonconstructive criticism and turn it into actionable items to make the game better, instead takes it personal and removes feedback from the equation. gameplay evolves blindly while the game gets developed and played by the same set of dedicated persons for which is a work of love. game gets released into the world, and lo and behold, all the problem that raised criticism are still there, except expanded after years of development of both the good and bad parts. same stuff that happened to Forsaken Fortress, Bit Odyssey, StarMade, etc etc.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19