Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]

Author Topic: Cube World  (Read 38996 times)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
Re: Cube World
« Reply #270 on: October 02, 2019, 08:08:43 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=153&v=XZFRfzcmMDw

The whole PVP addition is !!FUN!!.

I'm now gonna hijack this and make this a Hunt Down the Freeman thread, considering at least HDTF never had an alpha to have features butchered from.
it's over

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 03, 2019, 10:28:31 pm »

Lol I heard about that. I believe yesterday's silent patch was to address that, I assume. Then again, I also assume any future patches will be silent, given the dev is deleting his old blogs and some other stuff, for some reason.

I've wrote a review for it on Steam. Even though I wasn't there for the alpha and don't really care about the game's project history and all the weirdnesses in and around it, I was pretty fascinated on how and why go with that progression scheme, and if there was any pot of gold to be found over the rainbow. After coming up with an OP duo-comp (Guardian Warrior and Water Mage) and getting gud with my wife, finishing about 4-5 regions and having her find a 5-stars Plus Weapon (a weapon that keeps its Level on Regions adjacent/close to the one you found/crafted it in - up to 2 regions away I think), we can blaze through adjacent regions. By then we quickly confirm there really is no pot of gold at the rainbow's end, and that's super, duper weird.
Of course, we DID know that the moment we first launched the game, but it's mindblowing in a weird way to experience it first hand.

It's almost hard for me to cope with that, with what's the reasoning to have such a system along with no end-goals (or actual, tangible goals). The coupling of those two things must be deliberate. Either that or I'm reading too much into it and the whole thing is really a huge derp, or just the dev giving up on an infinite iteration cycle and spitting out the game out of the design-mill so his soul can be free of it.
Sorry if I sound too 'pompous' about it, or that I'm seemingly beating a dead horse, but it's fucking weird and I can't really process it.

If we are talking about the objective game of right now (and discard all that it could be), a few fixes, to me who 'gotgud' should be done to salvage the game:
- Sell Special Items such as Gliders, Boats, etc, in towns, for a descent and stable price (25-100g), after you first found them. And please make reins cheap ffs, I already wasted enough time acquiring a pet by offering 30 different food items for each thing that moves.
- Add more difficult and rare Artifacts that give you boosts that matter (raises damage, regens, haste, etc), and make Player Level actually matter for anything (even if very slightly, such as 0.5% - 1% increase in attributes per level).
- Add an end-goal. Any end-goal. Give the player something when he achieves it. Anything. A cape. An aura. A refund.
If we mention what it could be though, then it's very sad.

All that said, I wonder how I would react if me and my team got put through such a spotlight, specially when the moment involves pitchforks and torches.  :P
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 10:35:14 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2019, 10:25:16 am »

Cube World punishes you severely for freely exploring. The game is about specific, near-linear progression, rather than open-ended and emergent gameplay.

Is this it? Is this the whole point of the current iteration? Just trying to be different in a sea of open world games? Trying not to even be similar to Assassins Creed and those types of games? Ass Creed is at least entertaining for a little bit longer?

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2019, 10:50:49 am »

Why is steam pushing this so hard, and how did it get the tag "masterpiece"?

It looks like a generic minecraft clone, I get that the gameplay is different but why on earth would you use big chunky blocks if you're not going to mine said big chunky blocks?

I wouldn't comment normally except it seems this game is being pushed really hard, and I find myself wondering what exactly is it that's supposed to make this game so good.

From the reviews and comments here I see that my initial reaction was close enough. "A minecraft clone except without the minecraft stuff", it seems like the entire point was to get people to say "Oh, another minecraft clone? Ok then" so they could say "HAhaha you fool, it's nothing like minecraft, why would you think that just because it looks identical?"

It's like they were banking on... condescension? I don't get it. Maybe I'm getting grumpier in my old age.

Hey Neonivek, nice to see you're still here and still the guy I remember.  Someone's gotta push the less popular viewpoints.  High five to a fellow contrarian devil's advocate.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2019, 11:03:06 am »

the tag are user driven iirc, and steam ranking comes from a game growth, this was big back then so it has likely got a large uptick of installs at release, tricking steam algorithms thinking it was viral because they saw three years of organic growth condensed into a week

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2019, 11:49:35 am »

At this point, I'm far more interested in the developer.  Was this their first project?  Will they declare this a success and try to ride the wave into another project?  Are they going to disappear and then re-appear later?  Are they done forever?  Was this the project they did on the side of some other employment?  What other employment?

Heh, now that is the game somebody should be making!  Indy developer simulator!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2019, 12:19:37 pm »

At this point, I'm far more interested in the developer.  Was this their first project?  Will they declare this a success and try to ride the wave into another project?  Are they going to disappear and then re-appear later?  Are they done forever?  Was this the project they did on the side of some other employment?  What other employment?

You're late.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/362620/Software_Inc/

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2019, 12:43:28 pm »

You're late.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/362620/Software_Inc/

A game which has changed the nitty gritty mechanics a few times and is still good. "change is bad" ends up being not really the case. Just have to relearn it. Software Inc still feels good and solid a lot of the time. Definitely still better than the Game Dev and Dev Tycoons of the world.

I too am curious if the current feedback of Cube World will sink it. There's a lot of squashing of feedback right now. Would trigger a DDoS response if it was possible. Steam is not just a big audience for commerce but also a safety net.

It seems like the goal of Cube World today is bite size experiences. You tackle a zone and stop. Forget what you learned, move over a zone, and do it all over again. Ride the nostalgia even if you're bored a half hour or 4 hours in. Make your own fun in co-op and nobody is ever leveled differently from each other. Just pick another zone and your friend is only slightly faster than you on a boat. Diehards and newbs only different in how good their reaction time is.

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2019, 03:10:56 pm »

petition to change the thread title to Cube Region
it's over

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2019, 03:34:40 pm »

I was talking to a friend trying to work out the weirdness of the game, and why would anyone think the system was a good idea, and the conclusion we got to the conversation was:

If CW is a symbolic hell and there's no end goal, and if the game's design weirdly resembles the infinite iterative process the dev went through (almost feeling deliberately so), then the end goal and win state must be the same the dev found out of his iterative process. Which is to leave the loop at any random iteration. That's how he escaped his demons.
In other words, you win the game when you stop playing, and speedrun it by never playing it.

My soul is free now.  :P  :P
I hope the dude makes justice to his own work in the future.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 04, 2019, 03:42:56 pm »

Ah ha! Another game I have gotten the best ending for without paying a cent, along with Spec Ops: The Line.

It's a weird strategy to make money as a game dev but I guess whatever floats your boat.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]