Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Planning to code my own game, looking for advice/help  (Read 2816 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Planning to code my own game, looking for advice/help
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 09:36:54 am »

Huh.  Now I'm pondering where to start...and what to use as placeholder images in the meanwhile for graphics, since I am terrible at artwork.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:20 am »

Have you considered that you don't actually really need to know much 'coding' to make a game?

You will of course be limited by the choice of tool, but things like gamemaker, construct, Klik n Play and scratch might help you get a start.

If part of all this is specifically learning to code (which I suspect it is) you could also consider some of these tools as useful prototyping thingies for testing particular systems or ideas out very quickly. It's much easier to create throwaway stuff using these simple tools, might be a good springboard to really get your ideas straight for the more detailed and powerful coding exercise.

Try http://opengameart.org for a repository of open-source graphics, not sure they will have what you want, but I would hope you would find something better than having a bunch of placeholder solid red blocks :)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 09:33:26 am »

So far I'm sketching out a rough flow-chart of how the game should fit together, code-wise.  I figure if I break it up into manageable chunks I can learn as I go, and eventually cobble together the various modules and things I learn into a coherent first draft.  By then, I should know enough more to refine it, and go from there.

I've been looking around for any open-source graphics, music, sounds, and fonts I can find for the moment, but I'm not too worried about copyrights at the moment; I'm not planning to sell this, so anything I don't have a license for can be dropped before it's done and just used for the moment.  However, I've already got two awesome free to use fonts with attribution-only licenses, so it's not as hard as I expected to find useable resources as long as I'm patient.  My goal is not to use anything I can't keep if I decide to release this commercially, so I want all placeholders to at the least be made myself or have a license like the two fonts I grabbed.

As for where to start, I figured I'd start with the title screen and work my way up from there.  So far, so good.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: 1 2 [3]