Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage  (Read 15078 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage
« on: February 19, 2013, 02:55:17 am »

The year is... gods, you can't even remember what year it is after last night. Thirty... something. Or forty... blast it. Must've been a hell of an occasion to have drunk so much.. blargh.

You vaguely recall celebrating an event, something you and five of your friends have been planning and saving money for since two years ago. You force yourself to your feet and look around. Five more bodies, in similar states of hung over, litter the floor around you amidst numerous bottles, broken furniture, and combat gear. You try to find a mirror to look at yourself, but there is none. Come to think of it, the room looks strange. You don't remember renting an apartment with great big plasma conduits built into the walls. Slowly you stagger out through the nearest doorframe, and blunder through a long corridor, finding yourself in a room. A room with a downright unhealthy amount of pressable buttons, arrayed under several very much large screens, each showing nothing but the starry blackness of space. An electronic-sounding voice speaks out from nowhere in particular.

"This automated control unit welcomes its newly registered owners. There is one message pending.

The port authorities of Deneb Kaitos would like to remind that you still need to receive and sign transferrance papers, as well as your license. Simply hopping aboard, shooting compression lasers into the air and shouting, quote, "HAW YE MATEYS LET 'ER RIP!", end quote, does not comply with standard port departure and license assignment procedures. They would like to see you, your crew, and your ship, back in port at your earliest convenience, or else they will, quote, "blow ya sorry ass out of orbit an' tow ya carcass back themselves", end quote.

This automated control unit recommends its newly registered owners to comply with above request. Coordinates for the Deneb Kaitos Whaling Port laid in.
"

You blink.

"Oh."

Welcome, everyone, to the Space Whaling Adventure RTD.

I'm not sure it's actually ready yet, give me some time to get a few final things straightened out. But you can already sign up. We'll try to hammer issues out as we go along.

Spoiler: Starting Information (click to show/hide)
  Bonuses add die size rather than change final result.

Six players will start the game. Everyone else, should there be anyone else, go into the waiting list.

Now, the ship you start with is actually a little underdeveloped, with room to improve, and you have money to spare. It has six systems. They are Control, Propulsion, Communications, Sensors, Processing, and Storage.

• Control is the AI that runs the ship whenever you can't be assed to, like fending off a horde of betentacled glowing monstrosities.
  • Propulsion is what moves you in space, evading, chasing, or tearing free from the aforementioned betentacled monstrosities.
  • Communications is what allows you to call for help, either to tow an exceptionally big carcass, or bail your sorry ass out of a pinch. You can also get whale extermination requests.
  • Sensors is what finds you some space whales randomly floating around the universe. The better the sensor, the better the whales it detects - and the less chance of reporting a betentacled monstrosity as small fry.
  • Processing is what grinds betentacled monstrosities into sellable meat. The better, the higher quality meat it can process.
  • Storage defines your hold's size, no fancy rolls here. Used both for meat and for extra stuff, such as piloted armor and fancy fighters.

All systems start at value [6]. If you are one of the first six to apply, select a system to permanently assign a +1 bonus to. You'll start buying things like weapons and gear once the players are all up.(no longer applies)[/spoiler]

Bear in mind, all rules and things may be subject to change as the game finds its balance, but let's see if it actually works first.

Also seeking replacement GMs, just in case. Me is terrible at running two games at once. -_-

Player list:
Anailater as Dr. Bruce Thomson
Borno as Mr.Lime Johnson
Lawastooshort as Colonel Yirkut
Pufferfish as Jak Spades, fighting man
Scapheap as Clair Cherry
Yoink as Nicholas "Scoot" Cirrussi, legless pilot

Waitlist:
Penguinofhonor
Unholy_Pariah
Persus13
Xantalos

Dwarmin as potential backup GM
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:18:43 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Pre-game Phase
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 02:58:02 am »

Name:  Nicholas "Scoot" Cirrussi
Appearance: Short, wiry and lacking legs below the knees, Scoot has the look, voice and smell of a seasoned drunkard.
He has leathery skin, lop-sided light blue eyes (the left one is a bit bigger than the right) and a short mop of greying blond hair. His grin is pretty crooked, too. Wears a stained old blue jumper with something about an old grav-longboarding tournament on the front and a pair of faded denim jeans cut off just above the stumps of his legs. Propels himself around on a rough wooden board with a few castor wheels tacked on.
Used to make a living as the pilot of a cargo ship, but his inner speed freak- always pushing the ship just a bit further than it needed, tinkering with various engines to make them go faster, following televised races of all descriptions- eventually got the better of him when he went full-speed on his way out of a spaceport and crashed into a loading crane, an interstellar cruise ship and a wall, in that order. That incident cost him his legs, his job and his livelihood.
His employers refused to compensate him for his injuries, so "Scoot" took up drinking as heavily as possible on what money he could scrape together, beg or steal. One hazy night later and he ended up here.

Stats...
Strength: 4
Agility:  0
Toughness: 12
Intelligence:   14

Skills...
Weaponry: 0
Piloting: 16
Technical skill:  4
Medical skill: 0 

System Bonus: Propulsion.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:44:06 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 03:14:11 am »

Name:Clair Cherry
Appearance:Brown haired woman with red eyes. Always wearing a bloody lab coat regardless of where she is.
Stats:
Strength:4
Agility:11
Toughness:4
Intelligence:11
Skills:
Weaponry:5
Piloting:0
Technical skill:5
Medical skill:10

System Bonus: Sensors
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:27:23 am by scapheap »
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 03:24:46 am »

Count me in.

Spoiler: info (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: I accidenally a bio. (click to show/hide)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 03:35:01 am »

Spoiler: Scrap this one (click to show/hide)

Ah bother, two doctors. Um.

Oh wait double bother. Three kind of doctors.

Well, in case three kind of doctors is too much, I will instead go with:

Spoiler: ”Colonel” Yirkut (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:32:13 am by lawastooshort »

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 03:43:01 am »

> Name: Mr. 'Lime' Johnson
  > Appearance: An average statured man with piercing green eyes that seem to be watching your every move. He wears a lime green suit and tie no matter the circumstances (Even going to bed in a one-zee version of it), hence earning him the nickname 'Lime'. His hair is jet black, and always combed to perfection. Well, apart from today, when he had woke up with his perfect hair-do RUINED.
   Stats:
  > Strength: 1
  > Agility: 1
  > Toughness: 1
  > Intelligence: 27
   Skills:
  > Weaponry: 0
  > Piloting: 0
  > Technical skill: 20
  > Medical skill: 0

> System Bonus: Communication

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:15:17 am by borno »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 03:54:49 am »

Yes I found it in time!
Spoiler:  Dr. Bruce Thomson (click to show/hide)
The doctor is in.
Edit: added system bonus.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:08:16 am by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 04:00:41 am »

So, six reservations are in. Good. The good doctor Bruce forgot a system bonus though.

Anyone signing in after this point may hold off on posting sheets (though do sign up), because the entry process for new crew will be rather... nonstandard.

And in the meantime, this is the rustbucket you'll be flying. I tried to make it at least resemble a whaling ship.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:05:39 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 04:08:10 am »

Crap, I was too slow. Reserving the first waitlist spot!

Spoiler: Sinda Everclear (click to show/hide)

Also I'd consider co-running this with someone. I wouldn't want to be the sole GM because it would probably end up second to Mayfly, but I'd definitely help.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:30:58 am by penguinofhonor »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 04:16:22 am »

Actually, PoH, go ahead and post a sheet. The whole reason I posted this now was to get the first set of players from a set of timezones that'd allow me to run this at work, at least for the first few runs.

I'll throw borno into the waitlist instead. With so few people having weapons experience, this will surely be an interesting run.

Also, try not to forget the systems bonuses people, or I'll throw 'em on at random. :evilgrin:

And just as an aside, a score of 0 in something means you're more useless than a rock in that regard, since the value is the size of the die being rolled. With a 0, you're kinda... SOL. :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:20:28 am by Sean Mirrsen »

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 04:18:03 am »

Aww...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 04:21:31 am »

Oh, you're still online. o_o

Well... okay then. Pengu can go on the waitlist. Either way, I don't think the roster will stay the same for long. ^_^

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 04:25:57 am »

Three doctors oh dear., maybe I should move 5 to weap from tech? Yes I go do that.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:37 am »

Well I just rewrote my doctor into a fighter, so I am open to using either.

Either way, I don't think the roster will stay the same for long. ^_^

lolz, a reason for choosing a doctor... Anyway, I think I will be the brave spaceharpoon-wielding Colonel.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:36:24 am by lawastooshort »

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 04:40:56 am »

PTW

"AARR, MAN THE HARPOONS. THE WHITE WHALE IS NEAR"
Durrr..
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8