Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage  (Read 15072 times)

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Shopping Phase
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »

it's already got tentacles.
*Look at his sheet* I see enough hentai to tell where this is going.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »

Anyone care for some tentacle grape?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2013, 06:48:10 pm »

Gahh! Curse my need to sleep and then my need to go to school for 8 hours, then a music lesson when this thing starts up.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:08 pm »

"How 'bout the Speedy Bitch?"

Scoot was scooting himself around the ship on his squeaky wheeled board, checking it out and kicking tyres. Well, metaphorically speaking, that is. Not like he had legs. And not like it had tyres to kick in the first place.
"She don' look too speedy though, I s'pose, but with a bit've encouragement ya never know," He muttered, half-to-himself, half to the others. "Should prob'ly make 'er a bit more... Zippy."

Anyone up for pooling credits to upgrade Propulsion?

Also, Scoot's vote for a name: The Speedy Bitch.

((I can propel myself around by my arms using STR instead of AGI, riiiiight? :P))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2013, 01:16:49 am »

Anyone up for pooling credits to upgrade Propulsion?
Sure. Lime only needs his mind.
"Why not The Whaler? It's a name that gets right down to business, and any passer-bys will know that we're a space-whale-hunting group, and, if we're lucky, might even ask to help out themselves." Says Lime, a bit more enthusiastic than normal. Maybe he's still a bit intoxicated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 01:22:22 am by borno »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2013, 01:20:39 am »

I missed this?
GODDAMMI-
Oh there's a waitlist.
Ahem.
Character incoming.

Name: Brohak Gargon
Appearance: A tall, lean man, skin browned and salty from seaspray despite having never seen a sea. His eyes are bright green, with more than a hint of madness in them. His long manly mane of red hair is wavy, accentuating his mouth, which is a thin line of sourness when not hunting, but on the hint devolves into a wide-mouthed grin.

Brohak grew up on a frontier planet, and being from a relatively poor family, had to hunt for a living. There were savage beasts on this world, but in time he became better than all of them, capable of slaughtering them with ease. Bored of planetary hunts, he looked to the stars.

Strength: 5
Agility: 8
Toughness: 12
Intelligence: 5

Weapons: 15
Piloting: 0
Technical Skill: 5
Medical Skill: 0

And we have our bloodthirsty psychopath!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:21:04 am by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 03:54:57 am »

>To keep things simple, Scoot will just put all his credits towards propulsion upgrades and whoever is willing can chip in the balance.
Unless booze becomes an actual option, of course...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2013, 04:17:30 am »

((I can propel myself around by my arms using STR instead of AGI, riiiiight? :P))
You can't make STR checks instead of AGI. In your case, the best alternative - at least for dodging purposes, since you won't be able to use melee weapons - would be to use Piloting, but it'd require a self-propelled transport rather than a manually driven one. Really, having AGI as a dump stat isn't the best way to survive combat. :P

There'll be AGI-enhancing suits later, but not now. Also, since it isn't obvious, every suit still acts as armor, like the hull does for systems, though only the more powerful ones will do much good in that regard. And you can't wear more that one suit at a time.

Also, with Lime and Scoot (I can't help but imagine you having an orange outfit and purple hair) pooling funds, you will push Propulsion to 9, and have 200c left over each.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:19:08 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2013, 04:30:42 am »

Oh gosh, give him a self-propelled tetchy and stubborn gunbot as his propulsion.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:18 am »

Lime buys a worn down lime green coloured combat suit (VAL 2) with his remaining money.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2013, 05:33:37 am »

Well, unless Yoink comes back with something Scoot wants to do with his 200 cred, I think everyone's set.
No consensus was reached on the ship name... the result is below. Yes, I am evil.
And with only one vote for direction, there's no need to choose destinations. Whee!

The crew returns from their shopping trip laden with gear. Clair drags in a small Comp-Laser turret and has a Jackbot fit it on top of the control tower. The purchased bots stroll off into storage. Suddenly, a rather large ship parks itself next to the rusty hull of the Protsvetanie and unfolds into a gaping maw of an automated repair dock. An assortment of Techbots and Jackbots leaps off the ship and scurries over the stern of the whaler, tearing old parts off and welding new parts on. Before anyone of the crew can so much as yell at them, they are gone and the repair platform putters off from whence it came, leaving the Protsvetanie with a snappily redecorated, shiny new engine section.

All set up to start, the crew suddenly hits a snag with the name of the ship. Nobody likes the default name, and the good part of an hour is spent in useless arguments for and against the possible ship names, every crewmember suggesting their own.

Finally, the computerized voice of the AI speaks up.

"This automated control unit has observed the dissenting opinions of its owners and has taken it upon itself to introduce a compromising opinion. With all modifications and purchases taken into account, this vessel is now listed and registered as this."
Quote from: Ship Status Readout
Ship class: "Protsvetanie" Medium Whaler
Ship name: The Eponymous Speedy Blue Damn Fury

Hull/Structure:
Fore: 6/6
Aft: 6/6
Port: 6/6
Starboard: 6/6
Dorsal: 6/6
Ventral: 6/6

Processing System: 6/6
Propulsion System: 9/9
Sensor System: 7/7
Comms System: 7/7
Control System: 8/8
Storage Bay: 480/600 units free.

Weapon status:
Kinetic Harpoon Turret (Fore): 8/8
Compression Laser Turret (Dorsal): 2/2

Storage:
Jackbot-5(10u) x2
Medbot-3(10u) x1
Techbot-3(10u) x1
Kinetic Harpoon-8(1u) x80
"This automated control unit is programmed to help resolve conflicts in creative manner."

You can't see it, but you can bet there's a smiley face tacked onto the end of that sentence. Before you can interject, it speaks up again.

"Based on its owners' previous conversations and a patented pseudo-intuitive selection method, this automated control unit has already selected a suitable target for processing, as well as a fitting method of departure. Coordinates to vicinity of 7563 Mensae II set. Jumpdrive engaged."

At least three people lunge for the control panel, but it's too late. The external speakers on the newly-christened ship screech to life as an electronic voice intones "HAW YE MATEYS LET 'ER RIP!", and the ship disappears in a burst of light and lightning, taking a chunk of the pier with it.

((Actual situation post coming up shortly))
Cheatsheets:
Dr. Bruce, Mr. Lime, Col. Yirkut, Jak Spades, Clair Cherry, "Scoot"

The Eponymous Speedy Blue Damn Fury (yes you can change it later if you like. :P)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:46:42 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - In Transit
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2013, 06:06:29 am »

"Gaaaaaaah!"
I grab the neraest table to steady myself from the sudden jump. I also try to get my bearings when we stop.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - In Transit
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:21 am »

The violently shuddering electromagnetic bubble bursts on the edge of the 7563 Mensae system, a beautiful-ish blue dwarf star with just a pair of planets lazily circling it. The first planet is a fairly uninteresting rock, which the computer says was at one point the site of some research facility or other, that was eventually scrapped. The second planet, however, is a ridiculously large - from up close especially - blue planet, with a thick atmosphere of dense swirling clouds. For a moment you just stare at it, when you suddenly realize you're not actually orbiting it yet, and have the AI engage stationkeeping thrusters to keep you aloft. The scanner beeps steadily, indicating that a whale does exist here somewhere.

The AI speaks up.
"You have reached your destination. Based on observed experience level of its owners, this automated control unit would take it upon itself to suggest some reading material to increase the survival chances of the ship's crew."

A laser printer built into the console starts spewing out sheets of paper. On them is the text of a short handbook, titled "The Idiot's Guide To Space Whaling", that explains the various functions of the ship and some commonly known facts about hunting space whales. You spend a few minutes thoughtfully studying it.

Now, here I finally explain how the hell this whole thing happens and what you'll actually do.

- First step to hunting a whale is finding it - this requires using the Scanner with a Tech skill, and interpreting its output with Intelligence. You automatically go there, and either do or don't find the thing.
- Once you spot it, you generally want to kill or incapacitate it, and drag it into the grinder of your Processing unit - using reel harpoons and ship harpoon guns.
- All successful weapons fire will cause some damage, degrading the amount of whale you can actually process. Hand weapons usually aren't excessively powerful, but ship weapons usually tear or vaporize large chunks off the whale.
- Most whales come with secret abilities or vulnerabilities. Using Scanners and just Intelligence on them is a good way to find those, but trying to use good old reasoning works too.
- There may be goodies hidden in whales. Be careful about the shooting, and hope for a good Processing roll to gain them.

You all start in Standard Suits, that offer no protection except against space. You don't really have to worry about suffocation unless your helmet is broken, but being depressurized is no pleasant thing, and you'll need to return to the ship quickly. Standard Suits also have a sort of an RCS system for puttering around the ship in zero-G, so you don't need to worry about being thrown off the deck too much - though it does take Piloting checks to do anything beyond puttering around, and they don't work in atmosphere or in any meaningful amount of gravity.

Harpoons and Harpoon Rifles naturally come with cable as strong as their rating, allowing you to either reel the whale to the ship, or yourself to the whale. A Harpoon Rifle can be reloaded with Harpoons, should its own harpoon break off and be lost.

Once you take care of the whale one way or another - or lose it, or give up - you can either return to port and sell the meat off, or keep scanning for more whales until your hold is filled.

If you're bored on the ship while people do whatever, you can devise practice bouts or exercises - succeeding enough in these will raise your stats and skills, though slowly. Hand weapons have no ammo to waste, repairs take no materials, medicine... well, be creative.

Now, you're in your ship, sitting on the edge of a small star system, next to a huge blue gas giant, with a space whale somewhere in the system. What are you going to do?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - 7563 Mensae
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2013, 07:32:07 am »

”Aha! Come on men! All hands on deck! If some eejit don’t come and work these damn beeping scanners I’m going to come and operate them with me boot. Where’s the instruction manual… Double rations of space rum for whoever lays eyes on this foul beast!”

Colonel Yirkut gathered up his harpoons, adjusted his moustache, and dashed off the bridge. He’d only just taken delivery of this batch of harpoons, so it made sense to give them a quick test. Get his eye in. That kind of thing. Make sure the wires were coiled right.

Quickly head to the storage bay or other suitably large area and give all three of my harpoons a quick test fling to measure their balance and my aim. Then, head back to the bridge and find a window and peer out, in search of the whale, if no one’s revealed it on our scanners by then. Also memorise the route to the nearest exit to facilitate quick access to space whale melee combat. Consider writing will.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - 7563 Mensae
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 11:32:18 am »

> Name: Andrew Hunt
  > Appearance: Long, thin, overall lightly built. His right hand is half replaced with a cybernetic implant due to a terrible accident in college in his childhood. He likes to pretend that it has a built-in laser gun. *pewpewlazers*
   Stats:
  > Strength: 3
  > Agility: 5
  > Toughness: 4
  > Intelligence: 13
   Skills:
  > Weaponry: 7
  > Piloting: 0
  > Technical skill: 11
  > Medical skill: 2

I always miss this stuff :P
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:36:13 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8