Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage  (Read 15073 times)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - 7563 Mensae
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 11:39:50 am »

"I should be able to understand the scanner results, but I won't be able to help you fight them much"
To the scanners and look for out fine bounty!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 11:46:02 am »

"I'll help"

Clair assist Mr. Lime
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 12:01:57 pm »

Muttering something along the lines of "Argem braggle warp speed yahh, grab dabbed takes all the fun outta...", Scoot scoots his way along to find the... Cockpit? Control panel? Bridge? Whatever it's called, basically he just looks for a room with lots of nice pressable buttons, specifically ones to do with speed.
Let's point this baby in the general direction of blubbery goodness, ensure any relevant levers and dials are all pointing towards TOP SPEED, and let 'er rip!

Oh, right... Scoot snapped out of his reverie as he gazed longingly at all these confusing buttons, then called to the others, "Where's dis whale at then, anyway? Eh? Gimme a heading!"

>Attempt to locate piloting controls, ask for directions from the others, and facilitate the finding of the whale. At recklessly high speeds, naturally.

((Also, could I retroactively purchase a combat suit, too? Basically the same as Mr Lime, that's exactly what I was going to ask for, I just didn't have time to post.))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 12:39:21 pm »

((Sure, I'll throw it into Scoot's status. Painted orange. I can't help it! D:))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 12:54:28 pm »

Mmh. Jak grunts, before picking up a space suit. I'm going outside. Careful with that piloting, I don't want to get kicked off into space. He leaves through the airlock hatch and starts swinging his harpoon about, jabbing at invisible whales.

Practice my zero-G melee outside while we wait for the space whale to rear its ugly head.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 05:03:57 pm »

"I'll man the scanners."
Lime also goes to the scanners, and tries to find a whale.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 02:59:12 am »

”Aha! Come on men! All hands on deck! If some eejit don’t come and work these damn beeping scanners I’m going to come and operate them with me boot. Where’s the instruction manual… Double rations of space rum for whoever lays eyes on this foul beast!”

Colonel Yirkut gathered up his harpoons, adjusted his moustache, and dashed off the bridge. He’d only just taken delivery of this batch of harpoons, so it made sense to give them a quick test. Get his eye in. That kind of thing. Make sure the wires were coiled right.

Quickly head to the storage bay or other suitably large area and give all three of my harpoons a quick test fling to measure their balance and my aim. Then, head back to the bridge and find a window and peer out, in search of the whale, if no one’s revealed it on our scanners by then. Also memorise the route to the nearest exit to facilitate quick access to space whale melee combat. Consider writing will.

Int:5;Agi:4,8,1

You head into the storage and set up an elaborate target range using spare harpoons, crates and Jackbots. The first, sharpest harpoon flies true, plowing straight through a near target and embedding into a crate down mid-range. The second goes far but turns sideways as it flies, smacking a Jackbot in the head and knocking it flat on its robotic ass. The third slips out of your hand and nearly pierces your foot, embedding into the floor. You grumble something about "bloody slippery grips", gather up the harpoons and head back to Control.

"I should be able to understand the scanner results, but I won't be able to help you fight them much"
To the scanners and look for out fine bounty!
"I'll help"

Clair assist Mr. Lime
"I'll man the scanners."
Lime also goes to the scanners, and tries to find a whale.
Tech: 2,9,7
Int: 7,3,26

The three-man (two-man, one-woman) science team crams itself into the scanner room and glares intently at the screens, twisting knobs and punching in numbers to make the scanner arrays of the Blue Damn Fury sweep the in-system space. On a whim, Claire decides to sweep the long-range scanner past the gas giant, and suddenly gets a blip. "Hey! Found it! It's out past the gas giant!"

"Not necessarily," Dr. Bruce interjects. "That is a long-range scanner. Lime, anything on the close resonance array?"

"Already on it." Lime responds. "There, got him. Not behind the planet, on it. It's in the atmosphere! SCOOT! TAKE US DOWN! IT'S RIGHT BELOW US!"

Muttering something along the lines of "Argem braggle warp speed yahh, grab dabbed takes all the fun outta...", Scoot scoots his way along to find the... Cockpit? Control panel? Bridge? Whatever it's called, basically he just looks for a room with lots of nice pressable buttons, specifically ones to do with speed.
Let's point this baby in the general direction of blubbery goodness, ensure any relevant levers and dials are all pointing towards TOP SPEED, and let 'er rip!

Oh, right... Scoot snapped out of his reverie as he gazed longingly at all these confusing buttons, then called to the others, "Where's dis whale at then, anyway? Eh? Gimme a heading!"

>Attempt to locate piloting controls, ask for directions from the others, and facilitate the finding of the whale. At recklessly high speeds, naturally.

((Also, could I retroactively purchase a combat suit, too? Basically the same as Mr Lime, that's exactly what I was going to ask for, I just didn't have time to post.))
Piloting: 14
Propulsion: 1

You're eyeing the massive control panel excitedly when you hear Lime shouting you directions.

"Take us down? YA GOT IT!"

Mmh. Jak grunts, before picking up a space suit. I'm going outside. Careful with that piloting, I don't want to get kicked off into space. He leaves through the airlock hatch and starts swinging his harpoon about, jabbing at invisible whales.

Practice my zero-G melee outside while we wait for the space whale to rear its ugly head.
Agi: 6

You walk out into the airlock. It cycles quickly, and you stand on the rough metal surface, vaguely feeling the distant heat of the blue dwarf star through your helmet's transparent visor. The space is as usual rather empty, so you get on with what you came here for - swinging your harpoon around. Deciding not to mess with the unloading, you swing the whole harpoon rifle around, executing badass killer combos against imaginary betentacled opponents.

Suddenly, the deck under your feet does a 180 and smacks you in the head, opening to you the beautiful view of the quickly approaching gas giant.

"DAMMIT SCOOT!"

---

The Blue Damn Fury, still upside down, rapidly enters the upper atmosphere of the gas giant, righting itself on the edge of a particularly dense layer of ammonia clouds. The weather down there seems quite turbulent, the clouds giving a very distinct impression of a raging sea. It's quite windy up where you are as well, and cold. Very cold. There is no water to freeze into ice, but the hull creaks as its armor plates contract, and what few observation windows exist are slowly being covered by intricate patterns of crystallizing ammonia. If you didn't know for a fact you were only held up by lift thrusters on the ship's bottom, you could easily have thought the Fury was traversing a raging Arctic ocean.

Suddenly, everyone hears it. A long, low moan, coming from seemingly everywhere at once. Up on deck, Jak whirls around, trying to find the source of the sound. Suddenly, he sees it - a dark shape, moving quickly and fluidly through the dense atmosphere, riding the twisting currents of the atmosphere below. It kicks up a swirly cloud of ammonia a few hundred meters off the Fury's starboard side, seeming to take a quick glance at the ship with its many glowing white eyes, and dives back in, twisting and turning in the currents, maneuvering its short body away from the whaler.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 03:54:45 am »

"Good find Lime!, Lets take this whale down!"
Try to fins a safe place to shoot my laser from, aim for the nearest thing recognaisble as a head on the whale, aim for eyes.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 04:05:17 am »

Get to a safe place for now
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2013, 04:29:54 am »

"It was easy, really. You did well, too. I'm going to go down to the AI control centre for now, tell me when you need help gathering the whale parts."
Go to the AI, hone my mind playing various boardgames like Space chess and Space battleship.

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2013, 06:31:41 am »

"Man the... um... Come on chaps! Sound the alarm! Dive dive dive! Pilot, hold her steady! Crikey!"

Colonel Yirkut takes a heady pinch of spacesnuff, grabs his harpoons and dashes out the hold. He immediately returns, sets the jackbot straight, and strolls back out.

On to the deck! Attach myself very securely but with a good few dozen metres (or whatever is appropriate) play on the wire. Ready my best harpoon for a brainshot, and crouch behind... something.

"Officer on deck! Attennnnnn-shun! Oh. No one about. Blast. Oh wait, hello, space sailor! Come on Jak, we'll have this bleeder between the eyes before he knows what an Eponymous Blue Fury even looks like! Pinch of snuff? Oh no, you've got your fishbowl on. Oh well."

((I assume I'm wearing my armour...))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:55 am »

((Whatever equipment is not in the hold, is assumed to be carried or worn in some way or another by the crew. You all have quantum backpacks as far as the system is concerned, but keeping it to non-silly levels is usually preferable. ^_^

As for manning something, the harpoon turret is out on the bow, and the comp-laser turret is up on top of the control tower.))
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 06:38:15 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2013, 06:36:34 am »

"Ye-hiiii!"
Scoot cackled as the ship came right-way up again, his unshaven face split in a huge, manic grin.
"Aw hell, goin' ta hafta get the hang o' this... Reckon I'm rustier'n you, girl!"
He patted the side of the control panel fondly and gave another laugh before getting back to work, squinting at various view screens as he did his best to intuit the functions of the buttons arrayed before him.

> Bring us in to weapons range of the creature, do my best to provide the team with a steady shot whilst still keeping up with the thing.

((I died a little inside when I looked at that link. :-/))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2013, 06:49:08 am »

On second thought man the comp-laser turret.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2013, 06:54:30 am »

((Sorry Yoink, but the coincidences are just too much. A hotshot legless master pilot on a scooter, versus a flightless pegasus filly who's faster on her scooter than some pegasi on their wings. My mind can't separate the two clearly enough, especially when they're both "Scoot". >_>

You know, as I'm rolling more "whales", I can't help but notice this might turn into a somewhat more simple version of Einsteinian Roulette. At least two "whales" so far aren't even close to "whales" at all, and almost harmless, but may require an intelligent approach to get the maximum benefit out of.

I've also got a related question. What do you people think of hunting "space" whales on planet surfaces? The Metamorphica throws out such results sometimes that it's downright impossible to make a space-faring creature out of it. A dangerous space-faring creature, at least.))
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:44:00 am by Sean Mirrsen »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8