Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage  (Read 8030 times)

scapheap

  • Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2013, 07:47:27 am »

(I'm fine with that, though maybe want some land transport)
Logged
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Gentlefish

  • Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2013, 09:51:08 am »

((Or sea transport. We're a whaling boat, after all.))

"Give me some warning next time!" Jak shouts through his built-in radio, "What, is the whale on the surface of the planet?"

Hop into the harpoon blaster. it -is- closest, after all.

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2013, 03:43:47 am »

"It was easy, really. You did well, too. I'm going to go down to the AI control centre for now, tell me when you need help gathering the whale parts."
Go to the AI, hone my mind playing various boardgames like Space chess and Space battleship.
Int:20,19
AI:5,7

You walk up into the control room and fire up a simple chess program on one of the secondary consoles. You manage to beat the AI before Scoot manages to fire the engines. This AI clearly hasn't been built with chess in mind. A game of 3D Battleship proves more difficult, and you're down to just a pair of corvettes before you finally pulverize the last of the AI's fleet.

"Ye-hiiii!"
Scoot cackled as the ship came right-way up again, his unshaven face split in a huge, manic grin.
"Aw hell, goin' ta hafta get the hang o' this... Reckon I'm rustier'n you, girl!"
He patted the side of the control panel fondly and gave another laugh before getting back to work, squinting at various view screens as he did his best to intuit the functions of the buttons arrayed before him.

> Bring us in to weapons range of the creature, do my best to provide the team with a steady shot whilst still keeping up with the thing.

((I died a little inside when I looked at that link. :-/))
Piloting:9
Propulsion:8

You fixate your eyes on the dark spot fidgeting under the roiling blue clouds, and grin. With a mix of surgical precision and reckless abandon, you jam the control buttons a half-dozen at a time, firing maneuvering thrusters and main engines in rapid succession, directing the Blue Damn Fury after the escaping monster. The engines respond in perfect synchronicity, following your orders almost before you make them. The bow of the ship turns after the whale, and the main drives rip up a great chunk of cloud behind the stern as the ship speeds off after it.

((Or sea transport. We're a whaling boat, after all.))

"Give me some warning next time!" Jak shouts through his built-in radio, "What, is the whale on the surface of the planet?"

Hop into the harpoon blaster. it -is- closest, after all.
Weap:10

You throw yourself into the tiny control seat of the harpoon turret and track the dark shape of the whale as the ship gradually gains on it. As soon as you think the monster is in range, you jam the triggers and let the harpoon fly, a flexible cord of some unpronounceable material trailing behind it. The whale jerks sideways, the harpoon seeming to strike its target, but by the ease with which the reel brings the cord in you guess that it wasn't a solid hit. You curse under your breath and wait for the harpoon cannon to reload.

On second thought man the comp-laser turret.
Weap:3

You slam the helmet on your head and climb out through the top airlock, clambering with some difficulty onto the seat of the comp-laser turret. Scoot does a great job of piloting, bringing you within range of the whale within seconds. Your shooting, however, leaves a lot to be desired. Like a panicking Japanese turret gunner at Pearl Harbor, you clutch both handles of the laser and wildly spray everything within a hundred meters of the whale with tightly packed photon pulses, not hitting the whale itself even once. The whale, for its part, seems to have turned itself upside-down, using its pair of short tentacles to backstroke through the clouds, not even bothering to dodge. You have a feeling it's mocking you.

"Man the... um... Come on chaps! Sound the alarm! Dive dive dive! Pilot, hold her steady! Crikey!"

Colonel Yirkut takes a heady pinch of spacesnuff, grabs his harpoons and dashes out the hold. He immediately returns, sets the jackbot straight, and strolls back out.

On to the deck! Attach myself very securely but with a good few dozen metres (or whatever is appropriate) play on the wire. Ready my best harpoon for a brainshot, and crouch behind... something.

"Officer on deck! Attennnnnn-shun! Oh. No one about. Blast. Oh wait, hello, space sailor! Come on Jak, we'll have this bleeder between the eyes before he knows what an Eponymous Blue Fury even looks like! Pinch of snuff? Oh no, you've got your fishbowl on. Oh well."

((I assume I'm wearing my armour...))


Agility:7

You stand on the prow of the ship, and shake your head in disappointment as Jak misses his mark with a turreted harpoon cannon. Ready to show the inexperienced youth how it's done, you affix yourself to the deck with one of the available cables and stand with your best diamond-tipped harpoon raised, waiting for the ship to close distance with the whale. The monster fidgets around under the surface, but Scoot keeps the Fury hot on its heels, and soon you see the dark shape of the monster from merely a couple dozen meters away.

It's an ugly one, a short fuzzy body, pitch black with a tiny head set with a number of large, glowing white eyes. A pair of thick tentacles hang from the sides of its body, and on one side it bears a wound oozing with translucent white goo - probably from Jak's harpoon.

You spare no more than a few seconds soaking in the appearance of the monster, before you throw your harpoon at it with all your strength. The whale seems to grunt, and suddenly shifts quickly to the side, moving out of the path of the projectile. You think fast, and pull on the harpoon's cord as it flies past the beast, making the super-sharp tip trace a long gash along its side, the wound immediately starting to ooze the same translucent goo.

"Good find Lime!, Lets take this whale down!"
Try to fins a safe place to shoot my laser from, aim for the nearest thing recognaisble as a head on the whale, aim for eyes.
Weap:4

Following Claire, you climb out onto the top of the ship and get ready to fire. Much like Claire, your shooting leaves a lot to be desired, but you actually manage to score a few hits on the beast, even if your weaker weapon doesn't really inflict a whole lot of damage to it, just scorching a few holes in its hide that don't even bleed, probably cauterizing immediately.

Suddenly the whale makes a somersault out of the cloud, its tentacles flared out! Scoot is momentarily surprised, but realizes, a second too late, that the creature is attacking the Blue Damn Fury. He banks her sharply to the right, but cannot do it fast enough as the fuzzy mass of meat and tentacles come crashing down onto the stern of the ship. The Fury lurches upwards as the mass of the whale pushes the stern down, raising the prow and making the powerful main drives push the ship out of the atmosphere. Scoot and Lime look around for damage reports, but there are none - it seems the last-second dodge maneuver had caused the whale to land directly onto a reinforced support beam, dealing no more damage than a particularly large trout being thrown into the back of a pickup truck. (Agi:2,3,4,1) The force of the impact, however, throws people on deck off their footing. Claire is thrown out of her turret, landing awkwardly on the metal surface of the tower, unharmed. Dr.Bruce falls and slides down the slope of the back of the tower, coming to a stop upside-down, right next to the mass of tentacled whale still lying on top of the Fury's engine section, its white eyes fixating on him. Colonel Yirkut, from his position on the prow, is thrown clear overboard, almost plunging him into the depths of the ammonia ice giant. Thankfully, he has cable, from which he now rather helplessly dangles. Only Jak managed to remain in place, his large body firmly wedged into the small space provided for its operator by the harpoon turret.

scapheap

  • Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:11 am »

Back on the guns
Logged
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

anailater

  • Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2013, 03:50:50 am »

"Hello Beastie..."
Quote from:  From On board Medic, Dr Bruce
Scoot take it easy or a second, I about an arms length from the whale, I'm going to shoot it's eye. Bruce out.
SHOOT IT'S EYES!
Logged
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

borno

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2013, 04:15:37 am »

((I feel really useless right now...))
Lime fidgets for a moment, not knowing what to do. In the end, he decides to use a nearby announcement desk to ask if anyone needs his help.
Code: (Announcment) [Select]
Hello all, this is Lime speaking. Does anyone need my assistance?
Logged

Gentlefish

  • Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:53 am »

"Ahahah! Who said a big body was only a big target!?" Jak screams, laughing maniacally as he aims his second shot. "I've got you now, you ugly beast!"

Fire for center mass!

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2013, 04:25:45 am »

((I feel really useless right now...))
You can use Scanners and Intelligence to determine things about the whale that the crew doesn't yet know. You would normally be on repair duty right about now, but you got lucky with the whale's attack roll. :P

penguinofhonor

  • Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2013, 04:28:00 am »

You narrate this setting better than I thought was possible. More RTDs need to take place in the atmosphere of gas giants.
Logged

borno

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:52 am »

((I think I'll do that instead.))
Lime wanders away and checks the scanners while waiting for someone to respond.
Logged

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2013, 07:29:33 am »

You narrate this setting better than I thought was possible. More RTDs need to take place in the atmosphere of gas giants.
You could say the setting is very... atmospheric. :P

Yoink

  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2013, 09:53:40 am »

Scoot gritted his teeth, manipulating the controls in a bid to control the ship despite the whale's shifting weight.
"Ugh, get it together, you lot! Get th'damn thing under control 'fore I hafta take some evasive action an' what-not!"

>Keep the ship steady, and prevent us from crashing into the planet or anything nasty like that!
Logged
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

lawastooshort

  • Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:35 am »

"Aaahaaahaaahaaah!" yodels the Colonel, before tarzanning right back on deck with a mighty swing. "Have at ye, ye mighty great reindeer dropping!"

Get back on deck. Thrust harpoon into whale's brain.
Logged

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2013, 04:03:43 am »

Scoot gritted his teeth, manipulating the controls in a bid to control the ship despite the whale's shifting weight.
"Ugh, get it together, you lot! Get th'damn thing under control 'fore I hafta take some evasive action an' what-not!"

>Keep the ship steady, and prevent us from crashing into the planet or anything nasty like that!
Piloting:7
Propulsion:8

Fighting the uncontrolled ascent of the Fury, you quickly input commands into the ship's control unit, rebalancing power to the lift thrusters. The system complies immediately, cutting power to the prow and kicking the stern back up, leveling the ship against the gas giant's gravity within seconds. Sitting in the control cabin near the center mass you don't really feel it, but the people on the deck probably did.

((I feel really useless right now...))
Lime fidgets for a moment, not knowing what to do. In the end, he decides to use a nearby announcement desk to ask if anyone needs his help.
Code: (Announcment) [Select]
Hello all, this is Lime speaking. Does anyone need my assistance?
((I think I'll do that instead.))
Lime wanders away and checks the scanners while waiting for someone to respond.
Sensors:3
Int:5

The sensors have trouble locking onto the whale sitting directly on the ship's stern, and you can't gleam anything usable from the meager data they provide. You kick the useless instruments in frustration.

"Ahahah! Who said a big body was only a big target!?" Jak screams, laughing maniacally as he aims his second shot. "I've got you now, you ugly beast!"

Fire for center mass!
Weap:4
Agi:5

You laugh madly, swiveling the turret around to fire at the whale, but stay your trigger-happy fingers at the last moment when you realize you'd have to fire straight through the control tower to get at the beast lying on the stern. You curse under your breath, and at the exact same moment the seat you're sitting on suddenly disappears from under you. For a second, the only things holding you to the ship are your hands, holding onto the grips of the harpoon cannon with enough strength to bend metal. And then you crash back into the seat, the built-in spring dampening the impact but doing nothing to calm your nerves.

"DAMMIT, SCOOT!"

"Hello Beastie..."
Quote from:  From On board Medic, Dr Bruce
Scoot take it easy or a second, I about an arms length from the whale, I'm going to shoot it's eye. Bruce out.
SHOOT IT'S EYES!
Weap:2
Agi:4

You're just about to pull the trigger on the ugly whale-mug in front of you when the deck decides to have a personal chat with your pelvis and rushes up to greet it. You flail wildly, falling on your back and discharging the laser into the blueish sky above, not hitting the whale at all.

Back on the guns
Weap:4
Agi:5

You hop back into the laser turret and swivel it around at the ugly blob of fuzzy black meat behind you. Confident in hitting, you jam the triggers and send streams of packed photons at the whale, kicking up bits of charred meat and burnt fuzz up into the surrounding ammonia haze, but only seeming to deal superficial damage.

"Aaahaaahaaahaaah!" yodels the Colonel, before tarzanning right back on deck with a mighty swing. "Have at ye, ye mighty great reindeer dropping!"

Get back on deck. Thrust harpoon into whale's brain.
Agi:6
Agi:1

A small thing like being thrown overboard ain't gonna stop a seasoned Colonel like you. With a grunt and a mighty tug on the cable, you send yourself flying upwards, using the somewhat lesser gravity of the environment to your advantage. Just as you think you're going to end up right on the deck, the prow of the ship does an unexpected maneuver downward, and you can only watch as the connection point of your cord sails past you, and the slack rapidly diminishes.

"Oh, buggrit."

With a 'twang' the line goes taut, and you are yanked back towards the deck below. You try to twist in mid-ammonia to land on your feet, but only succeed in landing on your back, using your backpack as a crumple zone to dampen the impact. The landing leaves you a little dazed and battered, and your arms and legs hurt quite severely, but you think you're still good to fight.

The whale, unimpressed by your collective attempts to shoot it, decides to roll off the ship's stern. As it does so, its eyes suddenly glow brighter. It opens its mouth, as if to scream, and suddenly unleashes a burst of blueish-white light, breathing a cloud of supercooled ammonia ice at Dr.Bruce and Clair! <rolls rolls rolls> Clair refuses to leave her turret, but is only caught by the edge of the breath attack, being covered in a thick layer of frozen ammonia "snow". Bruce makes a valiant attempt to get away from the cloud, taking a flying leap off the stern towards the edge of the Comms section, but the ice engulfs him, instantly freezing the outside of his suit. The crystallized Dr.Bruce-shaped ammonia snowman lands just on the edge of the Communications block, sparkling and unmoving.

The damage done, the whale wallops off into the roiling clouds below like a skydiver, its tentacles trailing remnants of frozen mist. The Fury, its thrusters again unbalanced, starts dipping down, as if diving after the beast of its own accord.

((post-edit note: I may have misinterpreted the "keep her steady"... but the rolls and results would have been the same regardless, so... >_>))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:12:29 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Logged

Gentlefish

  • Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Catching a cold
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2013, 04:12:23 am »

"Hell yeah! Here we go..." Jak says, after muttering about scoot, scoot's mother, and something about procreation.

Steady, aim, fire at that freak of space. I refuse to miss this time.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8