Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - CQB: Cetacean Qabab Barrage  (Read 15075 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Space Whaling Adventure RTD - Stay Frosty
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:15 pm »

((Oh hell I am so sorry! :-X I thought I had posted days ago. Thanks la.))

"Shit on a stick!" Scoot's eyes were locked on the monitor and his hand was locked in a white-knuckle grip around the control stick as he forced the ship as fast as he could get it to go. "Thing's bloody fast!"
At least it seem to be a bit off-balance, now. It was probably time to press the advantage...
"I'll show you pressin' a bloody advantage," Scoot growled at his inner voice before taking a two-handed grip on the control stick.

>Keep the ship going as straight as possible for speed!

>The whale is flying somewhat unsteadily now, so rather than jinking left and right to follow each of its erratic turns, just keep following its overall heading, keeping it within weapons range but avoiding unnecessary turns that would slow us down.
Piloting:1
Propulsion:3
Whale:2

You keep the Blue Damn Fury straight, but instead of accelerating after the whale the ship suddenly cuts its engines, coasting to a relative stop. You look at the controls in confusion. "Oi. The hell is wrong with this thing?" You look closer at the control stick you just pulled. "What the? What in the stinkin' blazes of Uranus is an emergency brake even doing here?"

You look out the monitors, fully expecting to not see the whale any longer. Oh wait, there it is. In its tumbling motions, it managed to hop into a different stream and is now actually closer to you than before. "Huh. I guess that works."

Feel The heat!
DESTROY THE ICE, I WILL TEACH IT TO MESS WITH ME!
Str:3
Tou:3

You press against the frozen suit and hear it cracking, your limbs starting to move. You also notice telltale signs of rapid decompression in your exposed areas, and even though the atmosphere beyond is no vacuum, it's possibly worse because it's freaking cold. Your legs are becoming numb, and it's starting to get harder to breathe.

Then suddenly there's an even louder crraack as something unceremoniously shoves you in the back, and your suit breaks apart completely. You panic for a second, but there's a loud clang and the surroundings fill with warm, breathable air. You still can't see sh!t because of your crystallized visor, but you get the distinct feeling that you're upside down in a very cramped space.

"Hmm... I have an idea."
Lime calls the jackbot struggling with Bruce to him, and tries to reprogram it to cut people out of ice.

((How about this?))
Tech:11

You pull the jackbot aside and pop the maintenance panel in its back. Hitting the tiny keyboard buttons with your suit's clumsy fingers is somewhat difficult, but you manage to add a few new instructions to the bot's behavior AI pertaining to helping people trapped in ice. You'll have to wait until the bot does something to see if it worked, though.

Hearing the "Crack" of something frozen getting moved, Jak looks at the deck. "Oh, Jesus!" He says, as he jumps out of his chair.

Save Dr. Bruce.
Agi:8
Str:6

You notice what appears to be an ice-covered humanoid shape stuck upside-down into the small airlock hatch of the Comms section, venting immediately condensing air into the ammonia atmosphere, and leap to the rescue. Literally, disregarding all safety regulations, you leap out of your turret, clearing most of the deck's length in a single bound due to the decreased gravity, and are on top of the rapidly de-gassing Dr.Bruce in moments. Not bothering with too much subtlety, you give the stuck human popsicle a mighty shove with your armored boot, breaking what remains of the crystallized suit but succeeding in making the good Doctor enter the airlock whole. The outer hatch automatically closes.

Head for med bay to prep for Dr.Bruce's thawing.
You leave the turret and climb back into the ship. Upon taking your helmet off and heading to the medbay, you suddenly realize that the ship has no such thing as a designated medbay. There are the tech passages and the meager living quarters, but it seems the previous owners of the ship didn't bother with advanced medical equipment. You shake your head apprehensively.

”Euh… SOUND THE ALARM! BOARDE- oh, wait, hello! I say. Here, have this instead. Thanks though, awfully kind of you. Wait until you see the… whites? Of his… tentacles? Damn it, just stab the bloody thing – watch and learn, my boy, watch and- oh, crikey, is that Bruce clogging up the airlock? Blockage ahoy! Here, I think you've ruined a perfectly good suit there... Let me give you a good stamp!”

Try and get the jackbot to give my gun back – he can have my least good harpoon if he wants: it has little to no sentimental value. Then, if we close with the whale, harpoon the damn thing. If we don’t close with the whale, aid the jackbot trying to shove Bruce through the airlock, using stomping if necessary.

Str:5
Jackbot Str:4

Not without difficulty, you take back your favorite gun and give the bot one of your harpoons instead. This done, you look around. Bruce seems to have been shoved through just fine, in your preferred stomping manner, and while the whale is closer it's still not close enough to stab. You start to think that your pilot might need some help steering, because he doesn't seem to be doing a good enough job of it alone.

The whale seems to finally snap out of its dizziness spell and redoubles its efforts to get away from the Fury, jumping into a turbulent cross-stream going sideways from its previous direction. It seems quite hell-bent on making you people leave it alone.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:50:28 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2013, 04:54:44 pm »

Lime tells the new icebot (Hopefully) to go inside the airlock and free Dr. Bruce. Lime follows to observe the results.[/b]

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:52 pm »

Find Dr.Bruce and start thawing him
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:36 pm »

Stay with my new jackbot friend ready to spear that beastly fiend (the whale). Can I command another jackbot by radio to go offer the pilot assistance? Try, or something.

Do we have some kind of comms? I can't remember: I don't know if I've just been shouting sailorly to myself since we came out on deck.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2013, 05:30:50 pm »

"You're welcome! Idiot." Jak says as he peers over to the whale. "Ice breath, eh? Guess it's time to kick it down a notch."

Hop back into the turret and prepare to fire at the whale when it gets in range.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2013, 05:40:15 pm »

waitlist character.

Name: John Chambers
  > Appearance: A mechanic.
   Stats: (Distribute 30 points)
  > Strength: 10
  > Agility: 5
  > Toughness: 5
  > Intelligence: 10
   Skills: (Distribute 20 points)
  > Weaponry: 4
  > Piloting: 4
  > Technical skill: 11
  > Medical skill: 1
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2013, 06:01:37 pm »

"I'm Aliveeeee! Suck it death"
Dr.Bruce waits for defrosted and then looks himself over for injuries, trying to fix them with his med kits.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2013, 07:31:49 am »

"Agh! Damnit! Whoops! Jus' ignore that bit."
Scoot scowled, clunked off the brake and returned his hands to the correct controls- and cranked them fowards into high speed, aiming for the whale. "Right, right, should be good now. Shoot th' damn thing already," He shouted to no-one in particular.

>Avoid that control in future, speed up and keep right on the whale's tail.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2013, 05:07:11 am »

"Agh! Damnit! Whoops! Jus' ignore that bit."
Scoot scowled, clunked off the brake and returned his hands to the correct controls- and cranked them fowards into high speed, aiming for the whale. "Right, right, should be good now. Shoot th' damn thing already," He shouted to no-one in particular.

>Avoid that control in future, speed up and keep right on the whale's tail.
Piloting:7
Propulsion:7

You drop the brake lever and slam forward the nearest accelerator-like control. The main thrusters roar to life and kick the Blue Damn Fury forward! You have some trouble keeping the nose pointed on the diminishing shadow of the space whale as it weaves its way through the currents underneath, seeming to pick the fastest streams to carry it away from you. No matter how hard you try, you can't close distance.

"You're welcome! Idiot." Jak says as he peers over to the whale. "Ice breath, eh? Guess it's time to kick it down a notch."

Hop back into the turret and prepare to fire at the whale when it gets in range.
Agi:4

You turn to run back into the turret, but the ship suddenly accelerates and you have to brace yourself against the railings to avoid falling to the floor. You consider yelling at Scoot again, but seeing how hard the whale tries to get away from the ship makes you appreciate the effort he's putting into piloting. Even with the Fury accelerating hard as she does, the whale is still inching away from you.

Stay with my new jackbot friend ready to spear that beastly fiend (the whale). Can I command another jackbot by radio to go offer the pilot assistance? Try, or something.

Do we have some kind of comms? I can't remember: I don't know if I've just been shouting sailorly to myself since we came out on deck.
Agi:6

The ship kicks forward. You and the Jackbot stand, harpoons at the ready, waiting for the whale to come into range. And waiting. And waiting. The bugger's damn fast, because the Fury is plowing ahead full steam, and doesn't get even an inch closer to the thing. You yell encouraging expletives over radio to the ship's computer so that it directs some robot body to Scoot and helps him pilot the ship. (AI:6) An electronic voice responds. "This automated control unit is sorry to inform that the ship's complement of robots does not include one programmed for piloting beyond very basic skills, like the robot just beside you. In addition, there are only two such robots on board, and the other has been commandeered by co-owner Mr.Lime. Unless you would have the robot next to you to abandon its position, this automated control unit can offer no assistance in this regard."

Lime tells the new icebot (Hopefully) to go inside the airlock and free Dr. Bruce. Lime follows to observe the results.[/b]
Agi:1
Tou:1

You only have enough time to issue your command before the ship lurches forward and you go tumbling to the deck's metal surface. A railing prevents you from falling over the side, but you hit your helmet hard on the edge of a transmitter mast and are knocked out.

Find Dr.Bruce and start thawing him
Medi:8

Finding Bruce is easy, since there's only one airlock in the Comms section. You push the hemicylindric door of the chamber open with some difficulty, and drag Bruce's frozen ass over to the nearest table. His injuries aren't severe, the suit's meager insulation took the brunt of the frost attack. Some frostbite here and there, a little hypoxia, a little ammonia poisoning - nothing that staying warm and away from frost-breathing giant monsters won't fix. You find the nearest thermostat, turn the temperature in the room up, and prop Bruce up by the ventilation duct while he comes to his senses.

"I'm Aliveeeee! Suck it death"
Dr.Bruce waits for defrosted and then looks himself over for injuries, trying to fix them with his med kits.
Tou:1
Med+Kit:8

You shiver like a rabbit stuck in a tumble-dryer during a scale 8 earthquake, barely able to move your hands with any sort of precision. Tearing the helmet off your head, you try to look yourself over. Well, apart from the frostbite and slight dizziness, you conclude that you're technically fine. You take out a medkit - a little lunchbox-sized device with a keypad - and push a few buttons on it, managing not to slip with your shaking fingers. The kit opens up, releasing a soft but dense foam-rubber-like material that expands like a sponge and warms up to a comfortable temperature through some exothermic reaction of its components. Dividing the thermosponge up into smaller clumps, you apply it to your frostbitten areas, fix it in place using your clothing, and just wait for your body to warm up.

AI:8
Icebot:3
The Icebot climbs down the Comms section airlock and attempts to give first aid to Dr.Bruce. Thankfully, the doctor has recovered enough to shoo the machine away before it tears off his clothing to administer warm water from a nearby kettle.

Outside, the whale seems to see that its attempts to lose the Blue Damn Fury are in vain. It doubles back, jumping into a stream going in an opposite direction and rapidly closing distance, likely aiming for another ramming attack.

Note: the next update might be delayed more than usual, since I need to get the Multiworld Madness update done first.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:09:27 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2013, 05:21:08 am »

"Ooh that's better, Claire anyone else injured while I was indisposed?"
Look for injured and try to heal them, don't go outside again.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2013, 05:22:18 am »

”Brace brace brace, me hearties! DUCK AND COVER!! Thar she… wait… HERE IT COMES! Stand fast! Scoot, wait till you see the whites of its godforsaken eyes and then dive the hell out of the way! Jackbot brethren, get ready to stab the fiend! Aim for its brain! Gunner, open fire! Crikey! Come on chums!”

Colonel Yirkut stands at the ready, one hand holding firmly to the nearest rail and the other wielding his harpoon, Bill, feet dancing like an inebriated madhouse convict and smacking the wire attaching him to the ship as he bounces up and down in his hopefully contagious enthusiasm. He is suddenly filled with inexplicable flashbacks from his time in the Battle of Britain and at Waterloo… the whites of their eyes… the whites of their eyes… He blasts out the blood curdling war cry of the Siberian badger, and crouches, ready to thrust Bill upwards into the belly of the beast. Hopefully Scoot’s evasive action will take them down and under the whale as it passes overhead, and then! Then it will be doomed! And the crew of the Eponymous Blue Whatnot will smell the smell of slaughtered whale in the morning!

Get ready to harpoon the whale.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2013, 05:34:10 am »

"Ooh that's better, Claire anyone else injured while I was indisposed?"
"No one who can't wait until we kill that"
Return to my weapon and fires
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2013, 06:17:31 am »

((Well, I'm screwed!))
Try to wake up, hope that AI rescues me.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2013, 12:42:30 pm »

Jak grins maniacally, still trying to reach the turret before the whale hit them. "Here we go!" He says as he tries to decide what lovely weapon to use.

Get to the turret and fire! If it isn't possible to make the turret in time, blast him with my harpoon reel.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:38 pm »

"Ehehe, right then! Let's play us some chicken... Er, whale!"

Scoot chuckled to himself, leant fowards in his seat and fixed his eyes on the whale, tightening his grip on the controls.
"C'mon, ya big ugly bastard..."

>Go at a steady speed towards the whale, fast but not so fast as to make accuracy impossible for the others.

>Wait til I 'see the whites of its eyes' or rather, until we're well within weapons range and, if the others haven't killed it, jam the speed up to max, whilst simultaneously jerking upwards on the controls- aiming to bash it in the head with the bottom of the hull.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8