Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and dragons) Neonivek is your DM! (ENDED)  (Read 16690 times)

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and dragons) Neonivek is your DM!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2013, 06:48:15 pm »

You can also take Martial Weapon Proficiency as a feat at 1st level.

Of course, but I'd rather not burn that feat if there is another way to sneak it in.
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »

Great Sword Sneak Attack focus? :P

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »

Great Sword Sneak Attack focus? :P

Im new to pathfinder, is that a thing!? LoL!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »

Sneak Attack activates any time the enemy is caught in a surprise round, you're invisible, or they otherwise have their dex denied (pinned by grappler, paralyzed, unconscious, etc).  It deals like 1d6 extra damage, or something.

With a greatsword, you'd essentially just be creeping up behind them and baseball-bat-swing into the gap between the breastplate ad the greaves for MASSIVE damage, and at flat-footed enemy's AC.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 06:53:35 pm »

On a side note, think of it this way, what is more wasteful? Wasting a feat? or wasting 2 class abilities? :p

Think about that.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »

I think you're probably right, so I'll probably do it as an heirloom then.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »

Sneak Attack activates any time the enemy is caught in a surprise round, you're invisible, or they otherwise have their dex denied (pinned by grappler, paralyzed, unconscious, etc).  It deals like 1d6 extra damage, or something.

With a greatsword, you'd essentially just be creeping up behind them and baseball-bat-swing into the gap between the breastplate ad the greaves for MASSIVE damage, and at flat-footed enemy's AC.

Well said, and I think thats a good way to picture it - I was wondering though if there was some feat/ability called sneak attack focus? for greatswords?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 06:56:24 pm »

I'm going as an archer-fighter, I can sunder / pin down enemies with bows and arrows, sacrificing armor proficiencies for it.
I pin them down, you 'sneak decapitate' them. Sounds like a plan.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 07:28:50 pm »

I'm going as an archer-fighter, I can sunder / pin down enemies with bows and arrows, sacrificing armor proficiencies for it.
I pin them down, you 'sneak decapitate' them. Sounds like a plan.

Excellent Idea.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2013, 07:38:46 pm »

Sneak attack can't be triggered during a regular grapple.  When you are grappling an enemy, you have the option to Pin them, and once Pinned they have no dex.

Grappled enemies have -4 Dex and -2 Attack.
Pinned enemies have no Dex and -4 AC (on top of the anti-dex, which can drop their actual AC by 6 or more).
Sneak Attack works on Pinned enemies, but not Grappled.

There's all sorts of feats to help sneak attack, go to d20pfsrd, go to Combat Feats, and ctrl-f for "Sneak" and you can see plenty of feats.

If you're going to use Sneak Attack as your primary weapon, then work for a Small creature, as they get +4 to Stealth, and you're more likely to activate stealth so you can creep up and WHAM.  Although Small creatures also get a smaller class of weapons, so they don't do as much damage, but Sneak Attack itself isn't size-dependent, it'll do the same no matter your size.  Small creatures can also get -4 (or is it -2?) to equip a Medium One-Handed as a Small Two-Handed.  There's probably also decent weapon enchants for sneak attacks.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2013, 08:30:00 pm »

Realized the spells for magus class are extremely lame. I think I'll stick with archer sub class for fighters or a rogue :p

They are a bit meh, aren't they? The combat ability looks pretty good, though. It sounds like at level two you can effectively do a full attack, cast a spell, and make another single attack as part of that spell if it's touch. So you could cast shocking grasp, swing to hit with +3 if the target is wearing metal armor, then swing to hit again at a -2 penalty (or +1 with another chance at delivering the shocking grasp if you missed before and target has metal). Kinda like using rapid shot, except for a melee weapon and with added damage from the spell. Too bad none of the damaging cantrips are touch attacks.

Only downside is you have to worry about casting in combat. But I assume you could probably use the 5 foot step for stuff. Like one round you swing, step 5 feet back, then cast. Then another round you cast shocking grasp, step 5 foot in, then try to hit with it, then take your full attack.

As far as sneak attacks, can't you just flank with another melee char to get them in?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:34:22 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2013, 08:45:26 pm »

I think you're right about sneak attacks Paul. For traps all we really need is patience and a 10 foot pole. and/or henchmen.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »

or a rogue that can do its job.

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »

or a rogue that can do its job.

I refuse to have my characters be type-casted! (which is probably why I mostly play GURPs) haha.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2013, 08:57:25 pm »

Kansa applied as a rogue on GIH's party, so I think it's safe to assume that he'll make another rogue character for this party.
Ugh, I may drop out of this game, but I'll see where this goes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17