Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17

Author Topic: Pathfinder (Dungeons and dragons) Neonivek is your DM! (ENDED)  (Read 17073 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Pathfinder (Dungeons and dragons) Neonivek is your DM!
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »

I'm also curious about the world.  Most are overland forests and plains, but rarely dealing with exotic locations like seasides, caverns, or deserts.

Kinda reminds me, my character for local Pathfinder Society play is a Grapple Mistress in the heaviest armor, and has invested considerable skill into Swim.  Because so far we've been forests and dungeons, but I know one of these days...  There's a pit of water...  The ranger is gonna sink like a rock and my massive armor is just gonna dogpaddle over.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 03:34:31 pm »

The Crazyest setting I ever got, not for this, was a country entirely populated by powerful demons. With a royal family who stay in power due to a patrilineal artifact that gives the one holding it the powers of every previous owner who ever possessed it. I may even have it somewhere too.

Honestly the setting has been disapointingly simple to put together.

As for plot hooks, it seems like the state of the world is set in stone unless Kansa or someone else really changes things up.

I'm also curious about the world.  Most are overland forests and plains, but rarely dealing with exotic locations like seasides, caverns, or deserts

Ohhh, it has something alright.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 03:39:30 pm »

Big questions are simple - would I be better investing skill into Profession (Sailor) or into Handle Animal?  What's the general lay of the land as far as transportation, frequency of settlements, animal types, etc?  Don't want someone to roll a ranger only to realize the world has no giant spiders.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2013, 03:40:19 pm »

I did try to write up an entire continent across a vast ocean, but was running out of creativity and patience :/
May send another bit of my lore later.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

Big questions are simple - would I be better investing skill into Profession (Sailor) or into Handle Animal?  What's the general lay of the land as far as transportation, frequency of settlements, animal types, etc?  Don't want someone to roll a ranger only to realize the world has no giant spiders.

As of right now there are two continents but only one is accessible. Yet most of the world is heavily populated.

Anyhow it isn't about filling things in. That is one of the reasons why I don't let people consult eachother.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »

But creating a believable and good character at least requires matching the setting of the campaign. I think the question about whether there should be a Professio(Sailor) investment is a good one.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:57 pm »

I believe the plan was to tell us about the setting once we actually have all the setting information submitted from everyone.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2013, 04:32:41 pm »

Which sounds great if you're playing a game about disparate people sucked into a foreign world against their will.

It makes no sense at all (and is a recipe for disaster) if you're playing a game involving people who are supposed to be from that setting.

So maybe it's the first one, and you guys get to be in for a real fun surprise. ;)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2013, 04:42:26 pm »

I take it he's going to harvest location ideas, make a world, and THEN we make characters.  So leave some skill points or feats free, everyone designing their character, and be ready to shuffle them to whatever the world ends up being about.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2013, 04:45:15 pm »

I take it he's going to harvest location ideas, make a world, and THEN we make characters.  So leave some skill points or feats free, everyone designing their character, and be ready to shuffle them to whatever the world ends up being about.

Yea, that was what I meant. He tells us about the setting once he gets all the information in and actually makes the setting.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2013, 05:04:26 pm »

Realized the spells for magus class are extremely lame. I think I'll stick with archer sub class for fighters or a rogue :p

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2013, 06:28:31 pm »

I intend to make a Combat Rogue (Swashbuckler). So he will have some helpful rogueishness.
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2013, 06:31:31 pm »

You lose trapfinding and trapsense instead. I would go with regular rogue, if I were you. The bonuses for swashbuckler are negligible.

Edit: I'm definately rolling an Archer (Fighter)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:37:52 pm by DoomOnion »

GMichelIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:30 pm »

Your advice is well founded, but I want to have a great sword, and thus the martial weapon proficiency is key. However, I suppose I could do the trait family heirloom and get at it that way.

I will take this into consideration. 
...And by "Diplomacy" I mean "Axes" of course.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2013, 06:44:25 pm »

You can also take Martial Weapon Proficiency as a feat at 1st level.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17