Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS  (Read 50138 times)

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
FOR DAHRNOSAUWRS AND DORFS: SAUR FORTRESS
« on: February 20, 2013, 05:41:52 pm »

(original post below this)
DO YOU THINK THAT DWARF FORTRESS NEEDS MORE DINOSAURS? DO YOUR DINOSAURS NEED TO BE ACCURATE?
WELL LOOK NO FURTHER THAN SAUR FORTRESS!
It plans to have a variety of domesticated and wild dinosaurs (plus others) for you to keep, kill or have FUN with! Download the dinosaurs, put them in the right folder, then LET THE SAURS COMMENCE.

Full dino-pack (Contains many much dinosauren)
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8191

FAN-MADE STUFF:
Ancient mammals pack
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8448

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
YES I AM OBSESSED WITH DINOSAURS AND I NEED IT TO BE IN MY FIRST POST.

Hello, Eo here, planning to play DF as soon as possible. Already read Boatmurdered, Syrupleaf and others.

However, IT NEEDS MORE DINOSAURS.

If someone has a mod for it already, then links. However, I think the game could be a lot more fun if we added realistic versions as well. Case in point:
Well, minus opening doors and being leopard-speed rather than cheetah-speed, a realistic raptor would be much more fun than a JP one. Mainly because it eats its prey alive, can glide, and CAN RUN UP EFFING WALLS WITH ITS WINGS.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is a bird doing this. Replace the bird with a
dinosaur that pins people down and then eats them while its still screaming. IT CAN CLIMB UP YOUR DRAWBRIDGES. And it has WAY better balance than a scaly raptor. We can probably let it open doors too, just because it would be awesome.
(P.S the largest raptor, Utahraptor, is the size of a bear. Imagine that running up your fortress walls.)

A T.rex is mostly a large, scaly carnivore than can only see you if you don't move, and can be outran. And freezes to death. Real-life? NOT THE CASE.
T.rex could live in both a hot summer's day and in sub-zero temperatures, it has depth perception as good (if not better) than an eagle's, it can smell you from a good mile or so away, is small enough to be bothered with eating you, lives in groups, and is as fast as an Olympic sprinter. EAT THAT, JURASSIC PARK.

Look how many ways we could have fun with that! And, if you REALLY want to have fun, what about the LARGEST DINOSAUR EVER?

Imagine a Brachiosaurus. It's as heavy as FIVE TO SIX BULL ELEPHANTS. Imagine putting that into an army of goblins.
Okay, now imagine a Puertasaurus. It is as heavy as AT LEAST FOUR BRACHIOSAURUS. In terms of elephants, TWENTY-FOUR EFFING BULL ELEPHANTS. Imagine how much fun you could have with it! Or how much fun ELVES could have with it!
(P.S most herbivorous birds today, like ostriches, will swallow any small animals they can fit in their mouths when they have the chance. A long-necked dino half the size of a Puertasaur could fit a human down its throat. Food for thought...)

And, of course, we could keep tame Velociraptors as pets. (bigger raptors could be used for the raptors of DOOM.) And then, when we realise that a raptor's clutch would probably be about 25 eggs, VELOCIRAPLOSIONS. Therefore we stuff them all in cages and make sure the elves use them for appropriately fun purposes. Heck, if we had enough, maybe we could FLOOD THE CIRCUS WITH RAPTORS. And then let them become !!raptors!!. And THEN we flood it with TYRANNOSAURS. And THEN, when they become !!TYRANNOSAURS!!, FLOOD THE CIRCUS WITH PUERTASAURS. AND ONCE THEY ARE !!PUERTASAURS!!, FILL IT WITH MORE PUERTASAURS.

And then magma.

Also, if anyone can teach me the WONDERS of how to make such things, I'd gladly listen.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 02:34:11 pm by Eotyrannus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: AH THINK WE SHUD ALL MAKE DAHRNOSAUHRS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 06:03:51 pm »

I have a few, brontosaurus (called sauropod ingame), raptors...

If you want to learn how to make creatures, which is quite simple, read the wiki and search for "creature token", and then have a look at the raw/objects/ folder and open "creature_standard.txt" It has a lot of examples and explanations in it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 06:04:13 pm »

I'm surprised it doesn't already come to think of it.

But when you say raptors, do you mean Jurassic Park raptors, or the much less impressive more accurate ones?
Rogan?

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 06:11:25 pm »

@Meph: GAH FORGOT THE WIKI. WIKI IS ARMOK. Thanks!
@Zogundar: The 'much less impressive' ones are the ones you keep as pets. However, the wolf/bear-sized ones are the ones I mean when I'm talking about the fun ones. In gameplay, JP raptors would be less impressive (apart from speed), because they fall better and can't run up walls (so accurate raptors are immune to bottomless pits), and they suck more at wrestling too (they would keep falling off because they have no wings to balance with). I honestly prefer the featheries, and I'd probably do them if I was to make the mod, but JP raptors are good too.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 06:24:52 pm »

There's a few mods out there with dinosaurs, search this forum.  Civilization Forge comes to mind.  There were some older ones that were only dinosaur packs too (which also come up in the search).

The wild combination of leetspeak and caps screaming with detailed scientific facts in your post is making my head hurt too much to read it in detail.  Maybe I'll go get some coffee and come back and try again :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:04 pm »

I was reading the title with a thick Scottish accent of sorts.

Anyways, say what you will about the recent discoveries, but I actually like the interpretations of the fluffy/feathery dinos. In some cases, they look a hell of alot cooler; plus, they can provide a good feather industry if you want one. Plus, the fauna of back then would be a whole lot more diverse in appearance.

Spoiler: CAUTION: Big images (click to show/hide)
And surprisingly enough, they apparently tasted like chicken.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:38:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 10:53:16 pm »

Anyways, say what you will about the recent discoveries, but I actually like the interpretations of the fluffy/feathery dinos. In some cases, they look a hell of alot cooler; plus, they can provide a good feather industry if you want one. Plus, the fauna of back then would be a whole lot more diverse in appearance.

'Recent disocoveries?' I'm a science whiz, at least i like to think so, humor me!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 11:14:16 pm »

'Recent disocoveries?' I'm a science whiz, at least i like to think so, humor me!
Okay, maybe a fault on my part. Sorta forgot exactly when this whole feather thing came across (as far as my memory goes when I read about it in the news was within the past 4-6 years), at least as a more mainstream acceptance. Could be older than that. So maybe "Recent" wasn't the best term to use. Innocent mistake. However, I still like how they look with the feathers, and considering climates and all that back then, dinosaurs with feathers actually sound most sensible and plausible, rather than a world of bald lizards.

PhoenixEggz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 11:48:52 pm »

Okay, maybe a fault on my part. Sorta forgot exactly when this whole feather thing came across (as far as my memory goes when I read about it in the news was within the past 4-6 years), at least as a more mainstream acceptance. Could be older than that. So maybe "Recent" wasn't the best term to use. Innocent mistake. However, I still like how they look with the feathers, and considering climates and all that back then, dinosaurs with feathers actually sound most sensible and plausible, rather than a world of bald lizards.

It does sound more realistic. What is the discovery you're talking about exactly, though? That dinosaurs never had feathers or -always- did?

Jordan~

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 05:19:10 am »

That they always did - older depictions display them featherless. Fossil evidence, much of it from China, very clearly shows preserved feathers on certain species. The genetic link to birds is by now very firmly established and it's generally considered likely in the palaeontological community that many of the more 'famous' dinosaurs, the ones we're used to seeing depicted as reptilian in appearance, were feathered and much more bird-like than we imagined.

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 05:45:33 am »

I've made a therizinosaurus megabeast, called Reaper Lizard ingame.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 05:49:34 am »

Im pretty sure masterwork has or had dinosaurs in it. Perhaps you can talk to the guy/s that made that mod and rip some of them out?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 06:14:14 am »

@Findulidas: You mean like that first person to answer in this thread ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:17 am »

Okay, first thing I'd like to make is the most FUN one- the Puertasaur. From my guess, being stood on by one of these would be like being squished by a truck (1/4 of their weight is on one foot, which is 30 tons, which appears to be truck-size). Is there any sort of attack in-game that would be similar to that?

And for the body parts, I'm thinking:

HEAD
NECK
FRONT END
BACK END
UPPER LEG (x4)
LOWER LEG (x4)
FOOT (x4)
TAIL

The best way to deal with it is a ballista. It's way faster than a dwarf, at (with a quick visual estimate and size check, combined with mass) 30 metres per sec (three times faster than an Olympic sprinter).
If we wanted to get REALLY FUN, we could add the cryptid dinosaur Amphicoelas, which is double the length of a Puertasaur, about the same weight and could probably move at 50 metres per sec. Oh yeah. Imagine attacking the circus with one of them, clad in candy-cane armour...

So far, what I can imagine we need coding for is...
TRAMPLE (hit-by-a-truck level)
SWALLOW (eats a dwarf whole, presumably crushes them/suffocated them in the gullet) (might not be possible)
TERRETORIAL (if you get close, it EATS YOU)
BREAKS BUILDINGS (120 tons, nuff said)
TRAP AVOID (also 120 tons)
LIVES IN HERDS (even more FUN!)
MIGRATES (so you don't have a herd of Puertasaurs eating you until you get a ballista or something)
Is there any possible way to do this? I'm looking up the raw file stuff on the wiki right now.

Also, if anyone wants to know which group had feathers, it's the Orionides mainly (anything between a Spinosaurus and a sparrow, put simply. Ceratsaurs, carnotaurs, coelophysis and all that lot were the scaly meat-eaters). Size doesn't really matter, because of a dino called Yutyrannus (related but not in the tyrannosaurs, as long as an Allosaurus, foot-long feathers).

I've tried to make a start on it, based on the first thing I could find. I'm doing more research into it, I left the second ] out on the ones I couldn't figure out straight away.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 04:44:32 pm by Eotyrannus »

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:49:03 am »

@Findulidas: You mean like that first person to answer in this thread ?

Heh yeah. Its pretty apparent that Im sick isnt it?
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23