Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38153 times)

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

These are pictures of the Fort as it stands of the 23rd of Galena - 1003.

The Surface:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

z-1:

z-2:

Underground Forest (z-3):

Emperor's Palace + Military + Miscellaneous Rooms:

Workshop Level:

Housing + Gaunt's (Deceased) Quarters + New Dinning Room:

First Cavern:

Second Cavern:

Third Cavern:

Lava Lake + Adamatine Spire:

Here is a link to the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7463
Also, I wish the best of luck to the new overseer...the fortress is a bit upset right now...

« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:02:58 am by Sabretache »
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Hah! You all doubted my choice of buying a crocodile! You all called me crazy! Well, look who's crazy now!
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, thank you for your service Sabretache! Those were good updates. Wonderful picture post! Even if things went sort of badly for the fort, we'll see to it that you are compensated, next life. And thanks so much for the wharf room!

The fort really does seem to be in a bad shape now. It's going to get worse with the dead coming back to life, with so many insane. With his turn ending abruptly, I think we should reflect on what to do. So what do you guys think we should?

I see two good ways to go about this. Either

1) The fort is in too bad shape and not in a good way. Interpret this as damaging the fort too much. Revert to Chaosgear's save, and Remuthra takes a turn - the history of Gaunt's reign over Ghoullights will be another shard of the multiplex reality of the Past Realms and the Mechanical Land. Maybe a vision all the dwarves had, or such. We get our named dwarves back and keep building for a better future. To honor his work, should rebuild some things Sabretache's turn built, since we saw those in the vision. Or...

2) The fort must go on, even though it's only going to get harder. We continue from Sabretache's save, and either I or Remuthra takes the rest of his turn. The next turn and a half will most likely be cleanup work, destroying many of the few dwarves we have as soon as they go insane, and continuously building cage traps after all that has gone wrong.

Either way, if Remuthra is not ready to start, I'll take a turn and he can go next, as per the rules.

I'm personally a bit undecided on what we should do. Rerolling seems too harsh, but on the other hand I fear this will end like alternate reality Ghoullights where we simply have too few dwarves to be able to ever clear the surface and hence receive no migrants, and the fort stagnates and dies.

We already have one poll going so I can't open another for this one. So I'm going to base this choice on the first few replies with an opinion instead. Please share yours, I would like to have a decision soon. Sabretache, you are not excluded from voting on this either.

Hah! You all doubted my choice of buying a crocodile! You all called me crazy! Well, look who's crazy now!

Oh, fine, Chomps was a good buy after all. :P

Hotaru, of course your monument can have workshops. It can even be a workshop. Your choice - if you win. It's been pretty even.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I think we should possibly have some sort of time paradox happen, where the fort goes back in time to before it became doomed, then makes its way through time back to the point where it left, and two versions of Sabretache take their turns at once.
So essentially, revert the fort, let a turn pass, then hand it back to Sabretache again so he can have a turn in the new reality.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

I vote for 1. Sorry, wasn't that good a turn... Good writeup though.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, that's two votes to reroll. Let's give it, say, 6 hours or 12, depending on how many votes we get in that time... if we end up rerolling, we could also do a time-twist, sure. Although maybe it shouldn't be next turn, because Sabretache did have the fort for 1˝ weeks and there's people waiting who haven't had a chance to play at all yet. But if more people feel like that's what we should do, and Sabretache wants it too, it's a possibility.

Remuthra, how soon would you be okay to start on your turn?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I could probably start any time this weekend. From there, it might take a couple of days, depending on how much of the turn I can get done this weekend.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

I'm  usually really opposed to savescumming, but it really seems like the only option.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay. It's been 6 hours. I've had a look at the save. It's bad, very bad. There's a zombie cascade in process. Dwarves are getting struck down everywhere. Everyone is miserable. I don't know how to stop it without cheating, if it's possible at all. Can't haul the corpses before some of them reanimate and interrupt the hauling. Therefore I'm adding my vote to option 1. Sorry Sabretache.

With that, we have the fort's first ruler, second ruler, future ruler and a notable citizen. We four agree that this is not how it ends. So, Remuthra, I'm asking you to pick up from Chaosgear's save when you have the chance. Looking forward to it!

I would prefer it if we could somehow include Sabretache's work in the story and not just strike it out. If I were writing this, I'd make it a prophetic dream from Sheget on the night before 1st Granite, but unless you want me to do it, I'm leaving it up to you to invent the fluff. Do what you think is best.

Good luck!

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am fine with rerolling to Chaosgear's save, the fortress was doomed ever since I opened up the surface for the migrants. If possible create a new Gaunt 'Governor-Commissar' and do what you wish with him. Maybe put him in the military and train him into a legendary warrior of the Imperium.

You could say something like 'Random Dwarf Urist McProphet had visions of Gaunt's rule and how it would end in doom. Gaunt identified the dwarf as a Prophet (Psyker) and took his advice, keeping a lower profile in the order of command. If something similar happens to what occurred in Gaunt's rule (quite possible) you can use that to 'flesh out the story' of Daemons warping space.

Either way have fun and Don't Rescue the Migrants!

As for wanting to give me the next turn, its nice to think of me but there are many others wanting a turn. I think I had my serving of insanity for a while. After quiet a long time and a lot of DF practice (I am not that good) I may attempt another turn. Thanks for the opportunity either way!

(We have a magma sea as depicted in the Photograph post)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:04:51 pm by Sabretache »
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I've got a plan for both how your turn fits, and what I want to do with the turn.
A couple of questions:
Do we have access to magma? (By which I mean can I easily harness it for !!FUN!!?)
Do we have a glassmaking industry availabe?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 05:20:10 pm by Remuthra »

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, actually it's more like do rescue the migrants, just build an airlock system first so dwarves don't rush outside to their doom :P

We have sand, so glassmaking is possible. We do have access to magma, but only at the level of the magma sea. We have a ton of coal in the mudstone layer, so I suggest you use fuel instead - it's really fast using bituminous coal and I think at Chaosgear's save we have hundreds of units of it. It's not really economical hauling sand bags 100 z-levels when there's thousands and thousands of units of fuel nearby.

Plus there's a coolness factor to using actual fuel in my mind at least.

Also, the Wiki is great and very sufficient IMHO.

Edit: In response to your edit, no, it's going to be hard to get magma to the surface. Which is a pity, it would be very useful in destroying corpses.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess you can use airlocks and stuff to save them but make sure to build the contraption far in advance. Otherwise the migrants will be getting munched on by zombies while they wait for rescue.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alright, how far down is the magma, exactly?
Finally, what is the situation on our soap supplies?

This is a master plan. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with hanging bands of soap. It is encircled with hanging rings of green glass. It menaces with spikes of magma. On the item is an image of a dwarf in obsidian. The dwarf is smiling.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't believe we have soap. Edit: checked, we don't. We definitely need soap, yes. I love soap, but was busy creating the underground forest/tree farm/whatever we'll call it, on my turn.

The magma is 92 z-levels below the surface.

It's really really important to be able to get more migrants in before the sieges start, so I hope your plan includes that. But based on the description I like it already.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36