Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38129 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Not neccesarily. The main focus of my turn is on creating a method of disposing of the zombies. Will they follow a passage that goes down to where the magma sea is?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes they will, but only if you bait it with a dwarf or animal. I'm not sure what happens if you drop them into the magma sea but magma does NOT kill zombies, strangely. They just turn into !!zombies!! and burn forever. This is an actual problem.

What it's useful for is it destroys corpses. That is, dead zombies. Need to kill them first.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alright, I think my plan will work properly, providing I can keep the fortress stable. Start of turn post soon.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Great!

Oh, about zombie traps, one more thing: they only tend to walk into baited trap corridors that are near where they are hanging out on the map. So you may need to build multiple ones to catch zombies from all over the map. You'll see how it goes yourself - they won't walk into a trap corridor from the other side of the map.

And actually having said that I'm not 100% they'll walk into a 90-tile long trap corridor. But 50 I've tested and that works. We'll see...

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alright, fortress is loaded up, everything is ready, let's do the opening post!

The zombies were too much, and the fortress crumbled. The last survivors holed themself up in the depths of the fort, and met one last time before they would die of thirst and hunger, and the fortress would finally fall.
"Dead, they're all dead! ALL OF THEM!"
"Calm yourself, lieutenant. Tantruming will do us no good now. We must activate Operation Quantum Cave-in."
"But that could completely fracture the timeline!"
"We have no choice! Maybe the new Overseer will have better luck fighting off the zombie horde. Spin up the magma capacitors."
Humming, the strange device lying in the depths of the earth began to charge. Thirty seconds passed, then another minute. The humming became louder and higher in pitch. The dwarves huddled behind the blast wall. Then, with a sudden WHOOSH, and a massive earthquake, the device fired, and sent its cosmic axe crashing through the alpha timeline, splitting it in two.

This is the journal of Remuthra Bomrekshed, militia commander of Ghoullights, and soon-to-be ruler of this fortress. Shades of the future haunt me, and tell me it is my time for action. I have seen more destruction than any could claim. I have seen dozens of fortresses before this, I have kinsman far and wide, and I have experienced more in this life than two of our expedition leader's lives put together. I have lived these many years, and many years before that.
Today, this first of Granite, 1003, I have been contacted by the voices. They say I must banish the undead and save the fort. I have planned for this day, and I shall leave shortly to begin my master plan.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

We appear to lack fat or tallow. Can corpses be butchered without shenanigans ensuing, and the fat made into tallow?

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

If possible maybe use rock nut oil, no chances of undead then. If that isn't possible, maybe just station some military around the butchery while you do it.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

It's available, but it would be easier to use tallow.

10th Granite
I've designated the site for our little solution, which I've codenamed Operation Streetsweeper. The miners have been digging.

15th Granite
The miners keep running back to me, yelling, "Warm stone! Armok help us!" I sent those slackers back to work.

16th Granite
Glass and soap production areas are coming up. I'm concerned about supply levels, though. If I can't engage Operation Streetsweeper this year, someone will have to deploy it after me.

More to come.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

Nice update. I noticed that most of the rock textures were the weird 'A', I think that means there is something wrong with the tile set.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds good so far! :)

If you butcher something, the skin will come back to life. To avoid this, have the butcher's shop next to the tanner's, or next to an atom smasher and destroy/tan the skin immediately. Have some soldiers nearby just in case. It's a pretty big operation in a haunted biome, but the meat tastes so much better when you had to work for it.

Also... I and Chaosgear used Phoebus, while you and Sabretache use ascii. That's what messed up the tiles. To fix it, you need to (either use Phoebus or) download the ascii version of Modest Mod and replace the save's raws with those. Back up before you do it just in case, even though it should work.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

A good way to prevent undeath in butcherable things is to have multiple butcher shops and many, many dwarves with the butcher labor enabled. This will help butchering happen faster.
Be sure to do this with tanners, as well as anything else that deals with reanimating materials.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Either that, or have one dwarf with nothing but butchering and one with nothing but tanning. I personally generally keep butchering and tanning labors enabled on all my hauler dwarves here.

On a tangentially related note, it may also be good to have one or some dedicated refuse haulers if you're trying to destroy things before they come back to life. That is, dwarves with only refuse hauling enabled - they'll dump items straight away instead of hauling stone or whatever. Very useful if you're trying to stop an impending zombie cascade.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alright, thanks for the information.
I don't much like the Phoebus tileset, and usually use Ironhand, but discovered Ironhand is no longer being updated, so I'm using ASCII. It makes things kind of weird having 10x10 tiles.

In any case, I think if I place a butcher shop behind the atom smasher, that should be able to destroy any zombies that appear without destroying my kill. Does fat reanimate?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile

I have no idea, I joined this thread to learn something about killing dead things. (Insert inappropriate smiley here) :P
Out of interest, how do you plan to lure the zombies into that trap?
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I was thinking of using a livestock-based bread crumb system, since the new zombies will be lured into the trap as well. My original plan was to route the entrance to the fortress through it, but that apparently doesn't help.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 36