Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38124 times)

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Using the entrance to the fortress as a zombie trap is a no-go. If there's one thing to be learned from Sabretache's turn, it is DO NOT GIVE THE DWARVES DIRECT ACCESS TO THE SURFACE. Always use an airlock. This is because with dead merchants and dwarves and who knows what out there, they'll sprint to their deaths immediately. You do know how to use an airlock? Just making sure.

Putting an animal on a chain at the end of the trap corridor should do it. Alternatively, you could station an useless migrant there for giggles. The trap corridor must also be isolated from the fortress via a locked door or bridge - else suicidal dwarves will run to collect the caged zombies and get slaughtered by their undead friends.

Also, fat doesn't reanimate, sadly. It would be almost as funny as zombie pearls.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Alright, this should work properly then. About magma mechanics: Where can I drain my magma catchment system? The current system takes magma from the sea, but can I just dig another tunnel to dump into the magma sea?

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What happens if you return it to the sea...? Now there's a question I don't know the answer to.

Carving fortifications on the map edge should drain it, that's for sure and on the wiki too.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

18th Granite:
I finally got that Chaosgear fellow and his friends to shut up about the ground being too hot. We're digging right next to the magma sea, what did you think it's like down there?

24th Granite:
The glassmakers are at work now producing green glass. I worry about the sand supply, though. We need a lot of glass if Operation Streetsweeper is to be deployed. As for the soap, we still don't have everything quite ready yet. I've instructed the farmers to begin planting quarry bushes for soap making purposes.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

25th Granite:
Someone apparently left two water buffalo about in the fortress. I dropped the bridge on them right quick. I've also begun working on a zombie resistant slaughterhouse, so we can harvest some tallow. Those rock nuts aren't good enough for mass soap production.

26th Granite:
They've come back. Apparently someone's pants caught fire while they were working. Lot of lazy miners in this fortress. Otherwise, despite the warm stone hysterics, progress on the excavation site is coming along quite well.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Quote from: Halfling link=topic=123139.msg4091282#msg4091282

Also, fat doesn't reanimate, sadly. It would be almost as funny as zombie pearls.
And as fun as giant sponges.

Hmmm...look at all the stuff just sitting in the trade depot.... just sitting there. Waiting.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

Very good updates and speed. Great. Are we dwarfed yet in this timeline?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I haven't dwarfed anyone yet, but if you have your eye on someone, I can set some up.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree about the updates, going wonderfully so far. Except I still can't figure out what that massive thing is that you're building, but I guess we'll find out soon, huh?

Now that it came up, if you're up for it, there's a whole list of pending dwarfings Sabretache never really got around to doing on his turn in the first post.

Hotaru's request had some added details, namely that he be allowed to carry armor and sword and practice military skills two months per year. That can be set up via the military screen, I did similar with all my dwarves in alternate reality Ghoullights for safety and I think that's where he got the idea.
Destra requested any female dwarf, but since she's a future overseer, I think it would be great if it could be some interesting female dwarf like maybe a soldier or our main mechanic or something (she expressed interest in trapping, so maybe something related).
The same goes for Zombie, another future overseer who didn't even specify a gender, except I don't have any clue what he would want, but probably not a hauler.
Cog requested someone that likes sliver barbs, but later gave up on that request when our only s.b. loving dwarf ran off to hug a bronze colossus, saying he doesn't want him for reasons of natural selection. So I suppose any dyer we may have would be fine.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Hotaru's character has been given a squad, The Artificial Lancers, and has been equipped and set to train in the months of Granite and Limestone.

Destra has been given this character. That's all there really is to say on the matter.

Zombie has been given an Inauspicious Everyman.

Cog has been given an experienced and slightly insanity prone dyer.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wonderful. I can finally strike their names from the list. Thanks on their behalf. Enjoy your stay in Ghoullights, guys!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

I should let you know that during the coming week I won't be able to update much. Between school and HotS, I won't have much time for DF.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's completely fine. The suggested time limit is 2 weeks and I'm willing to negotiate anyway. Thanks for telling us in advance.

If you don't have any time at all during the week, and you and another person are willing, we could also do a tandem arrangement where you play a total of 2 years, with the other person playing in the week and you in the weekend, if it's not too messy. But I'll be okay with waiting too.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

I don't think that it would be wise to introduce another Commissar to the outpost, we know what happened last time...

As such, I am requesting a male dwarf that is a legendary miner with other skills (I think we have quite a few) named John Henry Eden. Profession being President of America.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

I don't think that it would be wise to introduce another Commissar to the outpost, we know what happened last time...

As such, I am requesting a male dwarf that is a legendary miner with other skills (I think we have quite a few) named John Henry Eden. Profession being President of America.
And then we could lock him in the lever room and turn him into a dwarven AI.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

And then we could lock him in the lever room and turn him into a dwarven AI.
I will need one of those.

Also, Miniupdate!

Well, Catten the Engineer is getting close to finally dying of melancholy, so Cog and I began assembling the militia out at the coke stockpile. Accursed evil biome, interrupting my building. In other news, production of Operation Streetsweeper supplies continues.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 03:20:49 pm by Remuthra »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 36