Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should we call the underground forest?

The Undergrove
- 6 (40%)
The Corpselight Grove
- 9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: Ghoullights Chapter III: The Lamentation of Dyes [Succession]  (Read 38139 times)

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
  • "Knowledge is power, guard it well."
    • View Profile

And then we could lock him in the lever room and turn him into a dwarven AI.

"Greetings citizens of Ghoullights... This is your President, John Henry Eden. Let's have a chat shall we?
Back when I was a little dwarf growing up in the Moutainhome, I had the best friend a dwarven child could ask for. My sweet GCS called Honey... Oh! The adventures we had from the tall mountain peaks to caverns we roamed, careless and courageous, completely unseperable.
Now, citizens of Ghoullights I ask you, can our dwarven children say the same? Are our children truly happy, truly carefree? We both know the answer don't we... Our children live in a terrifying and undead world full of violence and horror, but no longer! The Enclave shall match children with suitable, responsible adults and reemploy every youth programme.
Thank you for you time Ghoullights"

(I just realised Cave Johnson would also be suitable for that, maybe even more so due to how mad he was)
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Dusky

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of the cult of the Blessed Beard
    • View Profile

Well this has been a fun read so far, may i request to be Dworfed? preferably a male please

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Of course you can and you are very welcome. Added you guys to the dwarfing list!

It's time to close the poll. Actually past that time, whoops. Here are the results:

We have a tie! So let's have a second round between the two top candidates. 48 hours to vote, and the one with most votes will be the name of the forest, and the person who came up with it can get to thinking about their reward.

Edit: I can't seem to figure out how to make the poll single choice only. If someone could help me with this, that would be great.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

Yay for second round and especially for the special dwarfing! Thanks!
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes they will, but only if you bait it with a dwarf or animal. I'm not sure what happens if you drop them into the magma sea but magma does NOT kill zombies, strangely. They just turn into !!zombies!! and burn forever. This is an actual problem.

What it's useful for is it destroys corpses. That is, dead zombies. Need to kill them first.

Okay. The solution is simple and obvious!

Easier version is the magma drowning spiked pit.
Zombies enter a corridor, and are locked into an area. The floor is either a bridge or a set of trapdoors which open, and drop the zombies into a pit.
The pit contains multiple magma-proof upright spike traps. Those are used to perforate the zombies.
Once dead, the room is flooded with magma to destroy the corpses. Spikes can be used to re-kill anything that decides to reanimate.
Lastly, the room is emptied of magma. (Preferrably, by having the walls retract and the magma drip into the below magma sea)

Second is a less efficient model, but good for training. The pit is instead a constructed cage above the magma sea. Once the zombies are in, marksdwarves/ballistae are used to kill them. Then the cage is opened, dumping its contents into the magma sea below.

Cog has been given an experienced and slightly insanity prone dyer.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hurray for dwarfing! I'll see about a character entry soon :D

I don't think that it would be wise to introduce another Commissar to the outpost, we know what happened last time...

As such, I am requesting a male dwarf that is a legendary miner with other skills (I think we have quite a few) named John Henry Eden. Profession being President of America.
And then we could lock him in the lever room and turn him into a dwarven AI.
I will need one of those.

Also, Miniupdate!

Well, Catten the Engineer is getting close to finally dying of melancholy, so Cog and I began assembling the militia out at the coke stockpile. Accursed evil biome, interrupting my building. In other news, production of Operation Streetsweeper supplies continues.

Does that mean I'm also in the militia?
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those are some good ideas. I especially like having the marksdwarves have a shooting range the contents of which can then be dumped into magma. I personally used to train them by just stationing them on the perimeter wall, from where they will endlessly re-kill whatever abominations that lurk around. That leads to legendary marksdwarves fast, but also peppers the landscape with thousands of bolts - not a good idea, because according to dwarven physicists, the scattered matter eventually leads to time slowing down like a black hole around the fort... plus it just looks plain ugly when the fortress perimeter has more blood-smeared bolts jutting out of the ground than weeds.

There is a downside, though. We can't catch butcher what we catch if we dump it into magma. Now butchering the undead may sound a little suicidal, but we need meat. Not just for savoring, either. If anyone remembers, and I'm starting to doubt it, I lead us to live here in Armok's godforsaken asscrack among the soulless walking elephant husks and thieving raccoon skeletons and crocodiles and glum purple trees and patches of mud for a reason, and it wasn't to admire the damnable scenery or see the exotic zombie leopard. It was to an extent to mine some gold and make great halls where they said we couldn't, but mostly to grow sliver barbs, farm spiders and make silk. To catch the cobs, we'll need animal traps on the surface, baited with meat. The only good source of meat here is the zombies, after you re-kill them. We need silk. Silk, I tell you. You can use it to web cage traps and make mittens and -- What do you mean that's insane and not worth the loss of life? It's not like death is even a permanent thing here. They won't be dead for more than five minutes from hitting the ground. Oh, never mind...

She grumbles mildly at the lack of clothesmaking work, sips gutter cruor, grimaces at the taste and goes back to bookkeeping.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Those are some good ideas. I especially like having the marksdwarves have a shooting range the contents of which can then be dumped into magma. I personally used to train them by just stationing them on the perimeter wall, from where they will endlessly re-kill whatever abominations that lurk around. That leads to legendary marksdwarves fast, but also peppers the landscape with thousands of bolts - not a good idea, because according to dwarven physicists, the scattered matter eventually leads to time slowing down like a black hole around the fort... plus it just looks plain ugly when the fortress perimeter has more blood-smeared bolts jutting out of the ground than weeds.

There is a downside, though. We can't catch butcher what we catch if we dump it into magma. Now butchering the undead may sound a little suicidal, but we need meat. Not just for savoring, either. If anyone remembers, and I'm starting to doubt it, I lead us to live here in Armok's godforsaken asscrack among the soulless walking elephant husks and thieving raccoon skeletons and crocodiles and glum purple trees and patches of mud for a reason, and it wasn't to admire the damnable scenery or see the exotic zombie leopard. It was to an extent to mine some gold and make great halls where they said we couldn't, but mostly to grow sliver barbs, farm spiders and make silk. To catch the cobs, we'll need animal traps on the surface, baited with meat. The only good source of meat here is the zombies, after you re-kill them. We need silk. Silk, I tell you. You can use it to web cage traps and make mittens and -- What do you mean that's insane and not worth the loss of life? It's not like death is even a permanent thing here. They won't be dead for more than five minutes from hitting the ground. Oh, never mind...

She grumbles mildly at the lack of clothesmaking work, sips gutter cruor, grimaces at the taste and goes back to bookkeeping.

Erm, are you sure you can butcher undead? I remember not being able to do so...

Either way, clothesmaking efforts coming soon! It's my only priority!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile

Does that mean I'm also in the militia?
Apparently. I didn't look all that closely at your dyer.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

Couldn't we trade for usable meat?
And is there any sitting in the depot right now?

So, is my adamantine being put to good use?
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Erm, are you sure you can butcher undead? I remember not being able to do so...

Either way, clothesmaking efforts coming soon! It's my only priority!

Yeah, you can butcher the undead, and that includes the mutilated and notable ones. To make sure, I loaded my alternate reality Ghoullights save one more time and butchered a named mutilated cow corpse.

There's also some wonderful, wonderful science done on the matter that says that undead corpses actually give more meat than the normal kind. What do you know. Lucky we?

Oh, I guess you can trade for it too if the caravans start making it in again. :P That's going to be more and more unlikely as things go on, though. Just wait and see what happens when we get our first siege or two.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Halfling,I was just wondering if you had a save of the fort before there was any digging or 'striking the earth!' which you could perhaps please upload.
Things are very seldom what they seem. In my experience, they’re usually a damn sight worse.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure. Here's a save before embark - you just need to find the Forests of Smearing. Note that not all parts of it have flux like the Ghoullights area. I've played many games starting from this one save, and the Ghoullights spot is the best in the forest I think. Took me several embarks and prospecting to find it. Flat and with lots of ores and stones. Of course, if you don't want the hassle of an all zombifying embark, could embark somewhere on the edge of the forest.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7677
Spoiler: The exact location (click to show/hide)

I made it sound like an accident on purpose, but it actually took me a massive number of tries to find a region with zombies, phantom spiders and sliver barbs, living trees (if all vegetation is dead, you can't harvest the barbs either), interesting minerals, and no ugly wormy tendrils. Actually took one and a half day of just regenning worlds, and I eventually ended up limiting wormy tendrils to wet areas before finding this place. Evil biomes without them and with living trees happen ordinarily too, mind, so this was just removing one factor of uncertainty.

I found several with phantom spiders and sliver barbs and no zombies/husks on the first day already, but didn't feel that was very interesting. The PES stands for "perfect embark site" - I have some other saves from the process like one place with good and evil side by side and I believe the phantom silk reagents too, but none are as good as this. It's genned with some very aberrant parameters, namely max variance in things and 100,000 cycles of erosion. Maybe that's why we have such a blessing of different stones and minerals. I'm very happy to share it.

Edit: Ps. If you end up playing it, it would be lovely if you could maybe report on what happens. I think in this thread would be fine, we already have two storylines here that aren't part of the main timeline after all.

Sabretache

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you very much good sir.

Once my current fortress inevitably falls for whatever reason, I will probably try to gleam a living from your embark. I will upload some interesting stories about it and such also.

Also I am pretty happy with myself on my current fort. I manage to make a necromatic reactor powered by necromancer fuel rods. (A pit with a necromancer 'on' / 'off' system to resurrect marksdwarf targets and kill prisoners). Works perfectly so far.

Halfling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Abusing dark powers for profit is always great. Don't forget you can use him to get more meat out of your animals! :D

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile

"Necromancer fuel rod"
That's a new one.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36